Zoe Controller Update at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 18th, 2003, 11:06 PM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Zoe Controller Update

For those who were following a previous thread concerning controllers, you may have noted that I remarked that I purchased a Zoe and would review it. Rather than post a review here, I am preparing a more formal review page for the main section of DVInfo. Watch for an announcement of this review here soon. I am also separately reviewing Varizoom's new VZ Rock controller in the same fashion. That review should be available nearly simultaneously.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2003, 07:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Thanks Ken! I can hardly wait!... Maybe I can FINALLY make a decision on one of these things.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2003, 07:27 AM   #3
Wrangler

I read a review of it somewhere else... maybe a magazine? Sounds very nice, but as I recall it was quite pricey. Will also be interested in your impressions.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2003, 08:04 AM   #4
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Boyd Ostroff : I read a review of it somewhere else -->>>

Well I looked around a bit, and actually it was Wayne that reviewed it.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:59 AM   #5

Indeed, Wayne did a good, informative review of the Zoe. But I think he inadvertently omitted a couple of gotcha's...

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old May 24th, 2003, 01:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Really?

Well, I'm certain he will be looking forward to your corrections.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2003, 02:26 PM   #7

Not corrections. Merely additions, Wayne.

Old June 1st, 2003, 12:12 AM   #8
Major Player

Ken... so how's it coming? I want to finally order one of these things next week and I'm anxious to read your insights...

I'd heard about a little glitch in one of the controllers you're testing... I heard that when you zoom all the way in to the "stop", if you will, that a spark of high-voltage electricity makes it through the focus button and that it just happens to be at the precise frequency of the nerve system which controls the adult male bladder... I heard that if you zoom in too far that it's possible you may "dribble" on your wireless receivers mounted on the tripod... is this true?
Old June 1st, 2003, 12:33 AM   #9

Huh, that must be why Zoe includes a freebie box of Depends with every order. I wondered about that.

The review is completed and will be up as soon as we can get the Watchdog page prettied-up. BTW, I've been in controller land for the past few weeks. I am also reviewing the VZ Rock controller. I'm going to need a thumb brace when this is all over.

Old June 1st, 2003, 04:37 PM   #10

I have temporarily posted the text of the review in this thread. The full illustrated version of the review will be up on the Watchdog in a few days.

I'll field any additional questions you may have in this thread.

I hope you find the write-up helpful.

Old June 2nd, 2003, 01:38 PM   #11
Major Player

Thanks for your review Ken...

Now I'm going to bug you for your take on the VZ-Rock...

And once you get that one out I want Manfrotto to send you a 522 so we can settle this...

B&H pushed the Manfrotto 522 from $276 to $292... so I guess somebody said something good about 'em.

They also sell the "Rock" for $299 but it's the goofy polished silver one... I'd rather pay $319 for the "non-limited" model which is black.

If your review of the Rock is similar to the review of the Zoe, then I'll take a chance on the Manfrotto sight-unseen.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Good job.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 03:34 PM   #12
Trustee

Thanks Ken
Both reviews are well written and to the point. You've certainly saved me some leg work.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 06:40 PM   #13

Still love my Varizoom Pro-L

Thanks for the additional input on the Zoe controller Ken! I own two of these, as well as a Varizoom Pro L http://www.varizoom.com/controllers/prol.php and a Canon ZR-1000. I tend to use the Varizoom mostly as it has the most control over speed and it is extremely well engineered and heavy duty. One feature on the Zoe controller that I do not see as much benefit is the On/ Off button. It's too easy to hit that button and as you pointed out, it will completely turn off the GL or XL cameras. The rocker on the Zoe does have a nice pro feel, but I found the mounting system on the Zoe could be beefed up a little bit. Also, it does not have enough "clearance" under the rocker when you mount it on certain tripods, which sometimes can make the rocker stick during a zoom move.

I am picking up a Varizoom Rock next week, definitely looking forward to using that unit. I think the best value is offered by Varizoom, although the Bogen model does look good too. Overall, I use the Varizoom most of the time with my main camera rig and will typically use the ZR-1000 or Zoe on any additional angle camera if needed.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 06:09 PM   #14
Trustee

522C

Matt,

Looks like you may have already made a purchase? I have a Bogen 522C. I will have time to post coments on it in a couple of days if anyone is interested. Let me know.

Steve
Old June 26th, 2003, 06:41 AM   #15
Major Player

Steve, I would like to hear what you have to say about the Bogen model.

I've been using a VZPro-LX for about 18 months and I think I'm on the third one now. I've experienced problems with all of them and while Varizoom has been helpful in replacing the unit twice, they have also told me that the intermittent button problem discussed here (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=3104) can be expected. I've been told that a new Pro-LX model might be available with a rocker instead of the pushbuttons, but no word on when and I need a reliable controller now.

Your experience with the 522 will be helpful.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers