DV Info Net - Search Results
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Search Forums
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Showing results 176 to 200 of 790
Search took 0.05 seconds; generated 52 minute(s) ago.
Search: Posts Made By: Evan Donn
Forum: Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD June 22nd, 2010, 10:51 AM
Replies: 17
Views: 18,492
Posted By Evan Donn
The image is always captured at the same read out...

The image is always captured at the same read out speed regardless of the shutter speed - so the rolling shutter effect is constant. The read out speed is limited by the speed of the processor in the...
Forum: All Things Audio June 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Replies: 26
Views: 11,400
Posted By Evan Donn
Well, I'm not a sound expert - so I'm looking for...

Well, I'm not a sound expert - so I'm looking for 'good enough' and not 'the best'. My criteria for 'good enough' is whether the audience is happy with it. I just had a chance to screen a bunch of my...
Forum: Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD June 21st, 2010, 05:25 PM
Replies: 17
Views: 18,492
Posted By Evan Donn
Shutter speed has no impact on 'rolling shutter'...

Shutter speed has no impact on 'rolling shutter' in these cameras because they refer to two different electronic processes (unlike a camera with a mechanical shutter). 'Rolling shutter' means the...
Forum: Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD June 21st, 2010, 11:53 AM
Replies: 9
Views: 5,960
Posted By Evan Donn
I'd recommend considering the Tascam DR-100...

I'd recommend considering the Tascam DR-100 instead of the H4n - the prices are about the same right now. I have the H4n and it's a great recorder, but it has a couple of issues. First off is you...
Forum: Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD June 14th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Replies: 21
Views: 7,454
Posted By Evan Donn
Depends on the lens. Some have one mode only,...

Depends on the lens. Some have one mode only, others have a second mode which stabilizes vertically but not horizontally so they don't screw up pans.
Forum: Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD June 13th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Replies: 15
Views: 8,343
Posted By Evan Donn
This site is good for calculating DOF and...

This site is good for calculating DOF and hyperfocal distances:

Online Depth of Field Calculator (http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html)

So for instance a 28mm lens at f/16 gives you a hyperfocal...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD June 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Replies: 22
Views: 5,895
Posted By Evan Donn
Yes, a color temp meter will save you a couple of...

Yes, a color temp meter will save you a couple of clicks - but it won't get you the same results as using a custom white balance. I don't know the exact mechanism behind it but custom and color temp...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD June 12th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Replies: 6
Views: 11,767
Posted By Evan Donn
Don't forget most stuff you mount is mounted to a...

Don't forget most stuff you mount is mounted to a hole that's about 3/8" in diameter on the bottom of the camera. As far as I know the hotshoe is mounted to the same magnesium body element that the...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD June 12th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Replies: 22
Views: 5,895
Posted By Evan Donn
I personally prefer it to a standard video camera...

I personally prefer it to a standard video camera as it's a lot more flexible. The directions make it sound a little more complex than it actually is but they aren't that bad. Take a photo under your...
Forum: Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD June 7th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Replies: 9
Views: 5,547
Posted By Evan Donn
I'd disagree with not bothering with ProRes if...

I'd disagree with not bothering with ProRes if your destination is the internet. 8bit, MPEG2-based codecs like XDCAM don't hold up well to multiple generations of compression, so I'd say your...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD June 3rd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Replies: 1
Views: 4,463
Posted By Evan Donn
I work on a laptop, so I tend to use the 8bit YUV...

I work on a laptop, so I tend to use the 8bit YUV option while I'm working for speed, then switch it to the 10 bit YUV mode when I create a master file. I've never seen the black artifacts you...
Forum: Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD June 3rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Replies: 10
Views: 3,087
Posted By Evan Donn
I think your current Canon lens might be fine for...

I think your current Canon lens might be fine for what you want to do. Often the more expensive lenses are partially so due to their speed - but for things like testimonials and similar interviews...
Forum: All Things Audio June 3rd, 2010, 09:46 AM
Replies: 26
Views: 11,400
Posted By Evan Donn
I can see getting this in addition to the H4n...

I can see getting this in addition to the H4n specifically as a camera-mounted solution, much better for mounting on a hot shoe if you want a reasonably compact setup. I notice they mention...
Forum: Show Your Work June 2nd, 2010, 09:00 PM
Replies: 0
Views: 1,887
Posted By Evan Donn
"Tin Cat" - band profile/video shot on 5DmkII

We produced this for a local competition called ArtShots, which was a collaboration between the 48 Hour Film Project and a local arts organization called Artsopolis. It paired up local filmmakers...
Forum: Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD June 2nd, 2010, 01:01 PM
Replies: 9
Views: 4,618
Posted By Evan Donn
If you do end up taking the lens apart, while...

If you do end up taking the lens apart, while you've got it open you can lift the aperture ring off and remove the tiny bearing to 'de-click' the ring and give you continuous aperture adjustment,...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD May 29th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Replies: 14
Views: 4,311
Posted By Evan Donn
Every time I see that link posted though people...

Every time I see that link posted though people seem to miss the most important part:

"in practical situations the noise differences at everything from 50-1600 have no appreciable differences"
...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD May 28th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Replies: 16
Views: 9,659
Posted By Evan Donn
Go here and get step up rings for all of your...

Go here and get step up rings for all of your lenses to standardize on a single size:

Lens Filter Step up rings (http://www.photofilter.com/Step_up.htm)
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD May 28th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Replies: 4
Views: 2,603
Posted By Evan Donn
Do you have them in movie mode or exposure...

Do you have them in movie mode or exposure simulation?
Forum: Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD May 27th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Replies: 24
Views: 8,048
Posted By Evan Donn
For video go with old manual nikons, etc. I think...

For video go with old manual nikons, etc. I think you'll get equivalent results (at least for video) to L lenses in most cases for far less money - and they often have better focus action than newer...
Forum: Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD May 26th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Replies: 28
Views: 7,350
Posted By Evan Donn
Unfortunately that cage won't really alleviate...

Unfortunately that cage won't really alleviate the jello issues when shooting handheld. 'Jello' comes primarily from rapid up and down tilt of the camera, so you want to minimize that kind of...
Forum: Documentary Techniques May 25th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Replies: 5
Views: 6,922
Posted By Evan Donn
I shoot with the 5D, both narrative and doc...

I shoot with the 5D, both narrative and doc shorts as well as some corporate work. Personally I really like it and wouldn't shoot with anything else at this point - but I hesitate to recommend it to...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD May 25th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Replies: 11
Views: 5,155
Posted By Evan Donn
If you set the histogram to RGB it applies to...

If you set the histogram to RGB it applies to movie mode as well, I never use the brightness one for the very reason you mention.
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD May 23rd, 2010, 05:55 PM
Replies: 19
Views: 12,197
Posted By Evan Donn
I haven't personally tried ALO on video, but it...

I haven't personally tried ALO on video, but it basically seems intended to dynamically shift the gamma in order to improve shadow detail. If it's doing that on the fly I would expect it to produce...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD May 19th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Replies: 19
Views: 12,197
Posted By Evan Donn
Do you have auto lighting optimizer enabled?

Do you have auto lighting optimizer enabled?
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD May 18th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Replies: 11
Views: 5,155
Posted By Evan Donn
Is this different somehow than the histogram now...

Is this different somehow than the histogram now available in movie mode?
Showing results 176 to 200 of 790

 


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2026 The Digital Video Information Network