Fig rig footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Fig rig footage?

I'm looking at purchasing the Manfrotto fig rig.

Apart from official manfrotto footage, is there anyone who had shot stuff with a fig rig? Is it worth it?
Tim Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Personally I would buy a DVTEC MultiRig Pro instead.

It's a little more money, but way more versatile and holds the weight of the camera for you, so you can film all day. The Fig Rig will kill your back after 30 minutes of use.

It's a shame you missed the IOV show in Covenntry last week I was demoing it with Danny from DVTEC. Great kit, great guy.
Duncan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Well, I have extensively posted on the fig rig so I'll limit any repetition I may do.

1. The fig rig is very handy and versitile when filming people walking.

2. The fact that you have a round handle means you can hold it many ways. For instance, one shot I like to do is from the floor, I can hold the fig rig on the top, set it on the floor without worrying about damaging the camera.

3. The fig rig takes practice, your arms will sustain the brunt of your movement, but if you're like me, the longer you use it at a shoot, the better you are.

The limitations are that you are shooting from the chest most of the time, and I'm short, which means I am shooting at an upward angle.

A while back I started really working on my hand held technique, which means I've used my fig rig less, but I haven't thought of selling it because of it's specific uses.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig View Post
Personally I would buy a DVTEC MultiRig Pro instead.

It's a little more money, but way more versatile and holds the weight of the camera for you, so you can film all day. The Fig Rig will kill your back after 30 minutes of use.

It's a shame you missed the IOV show in Covenntry last week I was demoing it with Danny from DVTEC. Great kit, great guy.
I was there too. I did demo the Pro HD rig i think.... I must of met you!
Old October 24th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #5
Major Player

What was I doing wrong on the demo then? (wink) you must have been seriously unimpressed if you're after a frigrig!!
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well i didnt actually get to hold the Fig Rig. Really wanted to hold one to see the difference! Manfrotto stand was lacking anyone to help or offer help!
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Actually there was a lonely FigRig hanging on the wall on the Hague Stand next door to the DVTEC stand.

Bless.
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yeah that was a bit of an awkward stand I thought. Stuff behind the counter almost. Apart from the jibs! It was a bit like a new version of Open All Hours... just without Awkwright!
Old October 24th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #9
Major Player

HA LOL
Spot on.

Don't get me wrong though I have their biggest jib and the hague tripod dolly and track - really great kit.
Old November 13th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #10
Major Player

I used a fig rig for my first time at a basketball game 5 days ago. We were running audio,video cables with lanc and intercom system along with a sony 1 chip hd camera. It doesn't stabilize anywhere near as good as a glidecam, but then again my arm(s) didn't get nearly as tired as with a glidecam. If you are using a lot of accessories then it is definitely good to have the fig rig, it does also stabalize better than hand held.

Personally for what I do on my own, I would buy a stabilizer.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports