Varizoom VZ-LSP & Vinten Vision 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 1st, 2004, 03:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Varizoom VZ-LSP & Vinten Vision 3

I have a Varizoom shoulder bracket (VZ-LSP) and have previously used it with a Bogen quick-release bracket and a Canon GL-1.

I am getting ready to buy a Vinten Vision 3 head and was wondering if there is any way to use the Vinten's quick release plate with the Varizoom bracket.

It would be great if I didn't have to remove the Vinten plate from my XL1S in order to screw the camcorder onto the VZ-LSP bracket...

Thanks, Ed
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 03:10 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

If the Bogen q/r plate is the same one I have on my Glidecam 2000 (and I suspect it is), the answer is no. It is not interchangeable with a Vinten plate. Close, but no cigar. It's just a bit too narrow and lock-slotted a bit differently.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 03:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't have the Vinten Vision 3 head/tripod yet, so I don't know exactly what the Vinten quick release plate is like --- but I was pretty sure that it would not be anything like the Bogen's quick release...

What I am trying to figure out is if there is a Vinten quick release bracket that could be attached to the Varizoom VZ-LSP so that I could attach my XL1S (with the Vinten plate on it) directly to the Varizoom VZ-LSP bracket.

I'd guess that one option would be to remove the Vinten plate from my XL1s and then screw the Varizoom into the XL1S's tripod mount... But, if there is a Vinten bracket that could be attached and left on the Varizoom VZ-LSP it would make changing from using the tripod to using the shoulder bracket much easier and faster...
Old June 1st, 2004, 05:04 PM   #4

You can scan the Vinten site but there's no such adapter of which I am aware. I think you're just facing plate-switching.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old June 1st, 2004, 06:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Since I haven't ordered the Vinten Vision 3 yet, do you know if Sachtler, Miller, Cartoni (etc) have a quick connect plate system that could do what I want?

Seems like something that would be MOST convenient, instead of having to remove the Vinten Plate and then screwing the XL1S onto the shoulder brace's bracket...

Maybe I am just asking for too much?
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:08 PM   #6

Off-hand, I don't know. But I seriously doubt it. I know I've never seen such accessories from Sachtler or Miller.

Be sure that you keep perspective on what's most important to you and your work. Accommodating a Varizoom shoulder brace at the potential expense of selecting the best tripod/head rig might, or might not, be in your best interest.

Old June 1st, 2004, 08:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Ken,

I agree... If it was THAT important to me I would just continue using my Bogen with its quick release system.

Maybe I will be able to have a custom bracket made that will fit on the Varizoom shoulder bracket and accept the Vinten slide plate? A custom-engineered bracket might even cost less judging by the price of many other Vinten accessories... <grin>

I'd just want to make very sure that a custom bracket held my XL1S securely!
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports