DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   Shoulder Mount for XHA1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/434734-shoulder-mount-xha1.html)

Les Wilson February 20th, 2008 10:22 PM

Converting an XL1 Spiderbrace for the XH-A1

3 Attachment(s)
The Spiderbrace is a nice inexpensive and light shoulder rig. I loved it with my XL1s. However, after having great difficulty shooting with my XH-A1 on it, I realized the Spiderbrace for the XL1s positions the camera too close, too high and too far to the right. With a couple dollars in parts from Lowes, the Spiderbrace is back in business. The modification is contained to the rear leg. Fortunately, the Spiderbrace is made from electrical grade PVC, neoprene, a junction box and a couple bolts. It was easy to work with and modify.

Basically, the fix (for my comfortable camera position) is to cut the PVC 3/4" from the junction box and glue on a male threaded connector. Then, using a female and two 45 degree elbows with the minimum of pipe, replace 2" of straight pipe on the cut off shoulder piece with the aforementioned assembly. Just like the new SpiderBrace units, this modification can also be disassembled for storage/travel. With this modification the brace drops the camera down so the eyepiece is at eye level. I chose to kant the shoulder piece a little to the outside to effectively bring the camera mount in a little since the A1 eyepiece is in the center of the camera instead of the side like the XL1. If you are careful, you can kant the shoulder piece and still keep it vertical but the cement leaves no time for adjustments.

Doug Rose March 10th, 2009 12:04 PM

shoulder mount for xha1?

I have to do a walking 20+ minute interview, and I was wondering if there was a good shoulder mount or something that would take the strain off and allow for a steady shot? Anyone using something like this with their xhA1?

Bill Pryor March 10th, 2009 01:53 PM

There are lots of them available. One of the best, in my opinion is at Birns & Sawyer.

J.J. Kim March 10th, 2009 03:48 PM

I used CB105 and if you search on Tripod/Support forum, you can read some of the reviews.
I liked it first, then releasing and attaching to the tripod became troublesome.
When I am on handheld without having to change to tripod, then I would certainly use it, however I would not use when I need to switch back and forth. Sacthler does not make release system like Manfrotto, not the cheap one, at least..
But I found some people liking alot, so.
I feel pretty comfortable without it nowadays even for longer handheld shooting situations.
Just my 2cents.

Samuel Ko March 10th, 2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.J. Kim (Post 1025664)
I used CB105 and if you search on Tripod/Support forum, you can read some of the reviews.
I liked it first, then releasing and attachingi the plate of tripod became troublesome.
When I am on handheld without having to change to tripod, then I would take it, otherwise I would not use when you need to switch back and forth.Sacthler does not make release system like Manfrotto.
But I found some people liking alot, so.
I feel pretty comfortable without it nowadays even for longer handheld shooting situations.
Just my 2cents.

i too use the same one.
i also use the manfrotto quick release plate, and I can shoot HOURS upon HOURS without any shaking.

of course i use the extended battery
and light
and mics and etc and it still stable.

i didnt get the extra 1lb addon bar, which i didnt need.

Nigel Barker March 11th, 2009 02:11 AM

I just got a DV MultirigPro which is absolutely fantastic. You will find many others singing its praises on the Support Forum. dvtec, dvrigpro, dvrig, dvrig junior, engrg, support

Will Mahoney March 11th, 2009 07:36 AM

Don't forget about trying to make your own...

Like this:

Will Mahoney's Tutorials - A1 Shoulder Mount for Nothing.

Kevin Sawicki March 11th, 2009 03:08 PM

CB 105 Is the Key!

I've gone through and studied many shoulder mounts before carefully picking the CB 105.
It's amazing for it's price and quality.

I bought mine used for around $40 including the extra weight.

I recommend the extra weight for use with the XH-A1. It is almost mandatory.
With this shoulder support, you can practically tape for hours without shaky video.
Just remember to take it off and rest once in a while, so you don't get a sore shoulder.
It adds around 10 lbs to the camera.
The handle is perfect for fast moving scenes and action shots.

Here are some sample shots- CB105 Demo Footage video by Rodney41 - Photobucket

Get it, Great Buy!

Kees van Duijvenbode March 12th, 2009 02:04 AM

And you really believe that all those samples are shot with the CB105?
Yeah, right. you also believe in Cinderella .....

Marcel D. Van Someren March 12th, 2009 04:19 AM

Wait... Cinderella isn't real?!

I don't know, Kees. I've done some hand held shots with a very inexpensive shoulder mount and have gotten some pretty smooth video. You learn to walk and breath a certain way while shooting.

Kevin Sawicki March 12th, 2009 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees van Duijvenbode (Post 1026452)
Yeah, right. you also believe in Cinderella .....

I agree with Marcel.
I've achieved amazing shots with my inexpensive CB105.
All you need to do is get used to the support + camera's weight.
You take "steady-cam" walks, and breathe a totally different way (slow and only when necessary).

Here are some samples of my work, using the CB105:

Hunting Season - http://vimeo.com/2387231 - The story of a hunter.
90% of the shots in this video used the CB105 with an extra weight and the Canon XH-A1.
The other 10% used a tripod.

and a music video example-

Should've been a Rock Star - http://vimeo.com/3328113 - The music is cheesy,
but it's just an example.
100% of all shots used in this music video were taken with the CB105 with an extra weight and the Canon XH-A1.

Enjoy,
Kevin

Noa Put March 13th, 2009 02:11 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees van Duijvenbode (Post 1026452)

I have a cb105 as well and some shots are hard to believe it's done with this shouldersupport, especially the first one which definitely looks like glidecam work. You can support the cb105 on your arms (the maker has one video as well were he shows this) and your arms can function as some kind steadycam arm, for a while at least because including a camera it is very heavy.

I am custommaking one now and made a wider wooden shoulderpad which is 10cm wide so it's much more stable on my shoulder and i ordered a hood-pro with sock loupe to attach to my lcd so I can use my lcd as a viewfinder.

When it's completely finished I"ll post some more images on my blog but the first tests I did were very promising, it weighs about 7 kg totally (incl camera) but it carries a swit light with adapter an big sony battery, a big spare canon battery and a azden 500udr and it exactly balances on my shoulder. I also attached a quick release plate to easily remove the camera. Every part on the back can taken off as I used a same type of shoe which normally fits a camera light.

I plan to use it for specific purposes like interviews at receptions in the evening were I need to carry it about an hour.

I still need to finish it because on the photo's you see some uncut extending screws and the wooden shoulderpad need to be upholstered but I'm very curious about how the hood-pro's sock loupe will work out, it has been send but imagine it can take several day's to reach Europe. On the photo no xlr cables have been added because i just wanted to show the shouldersupport.

I think this is one of the cheapest solutions on the market which comes most close to a shouldercamera when it comes to working handheld for a longer period, the price of a cb105, quickrelease plate and hood-pro sock loupe are much lower then any other comparable and usuable shoulder support out there.

Marcel D. Van Someren March 13th, 2009 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, didn't know Canon made a Left handed verison of the A1!

Noa Put March 13th, 2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel D. Van Someren (Post 1027112)
Wow, didn't know Canon made a Left handed verison of the A1!

Yes, I had to pay extra for it but it was worth every cent, I just love Canon, they at least take every customer request serious.

Marcel D. Van Someren March 13th, 2009 02:31 PM

Better be careful. Some people might actually believe you! LOL

Kevin Sawicki March 13th, 2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1027146)
Yes, I had to pay extra for it but it was worth every cent, I just love Canon, they at least take every customer request serious.

Ha, I was like "Reallly? oh wait, the 'Canon' logo is reverse" lol
Nice :)

Wayne Smith III March 16th, 2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Sawicki (Post 1026177)
I've gone through and studied many shoulder mounts before carefully picking the CB 105.
It's amazing for it's price and quality.

I bought mine used for around $40 including the extra weight.

I recommend the extra weight for use with the XH-A1. It is almost mandatory.
With this shoulder support, you can practically tape for hours without shaky video.
Just remember to take it off and rest once in a while, so you don't get a sore shoulder.
It adds around 10 lbs to the camera.
The handle is perfect for fast moving scenes and action shots.

Here are some sample shots- CB105 Demo Footage video by Rodney41 - Photobucket

Get it, Great Buy!

Hay where can i buy this i need it quick!

Noa Put March 16th, 2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith III (Post 1028676)
Hay where can i buy this i need it quick!

Dynamic Motion Video Camera Stabilizer Shoulder Support

Kevin is right about the extra wheight, or you could add some accessories to the back to balance it better.

Kevin Sawicki March 16th, 2009 11:06 PM

The only annoying thing is that you need to find a tripod screw that'll hold your camera onto the shoulder mount. I don't know if mine was supposed to come with a special one. Right now, I am just using an old tripod screw, and washers because it's too long.

I heard a lot of people use a bogen quick release on this shoulder mount, but I forget the model and price. Anyone have any details?

Galen Rath March 17th, 2009 05:40 PM

Bogen 577. I have three and will soon have 4.

Benjamin Hill March 18th, 2009 08:15 AM

How about with the Canon WD-H72

Anyone use the CB105 with that big piece o' glass added to the front of the camera?

Noa Put March 19th, 2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Hill (Post 1029641)
Anyone use the CB105 with that big piece o' glass added to the front of the camera?

since that piece of glass adds quite a lot of wheight on the far end of the camera I think you need at least 2 extra kg on the back to counterbalance, think the whole rig would wheigh almost 10kg in that set up.

Luis Caballero May 18th, 2009 04:25 PM

Shoulder mount/rig for XHA1s with 35mm adaptor

Hi everyone! Please forgive my grammar as English is not my first language. Also, excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

I'm planning on assembling a "run-and-gun" kit for my Canon XHA1s, mostly for shooting documentary and short films. This kit would include:

- A XLR microphone.
- A 35mm adaptor (I'm thinking Brevis or Letus?) + 2 or 3 prime lenses.
- A follow focus unit.
- An LCD monitor (I'm thinking Ikan).
- Some sort of shoulder mount/rig.

(I'm not including a Merlin Steadicam, since I've heard it won't take the additional weight of an adaptor, and I can't afford a Glidecam).

The thing is, I need a shoulder mount that would:

1) Support all that weight and still be comfortable.
2) Allow me to easily pull focus with one hand, and hold and move the camera with the other.
3) Include all the necessary rods and hopefully a baseplate that I can also use on a tripod (the idea is to minimize costs)

Do you guys know any affordable shoulder mounts/rigs that comply with all this? I'm on a tight budget, I need equipment that is cheap, rough and effective.

Thank you!

Luis.

Douglas Thigpen May 21st, 2009 07:43 AM

I've found that the MultiRigPro works well if you mount the rails directly to it (not with a quick release). Works even better without the rails/35mm Adapter. Might want to look at the DvRigPro HD, seems like it'd be a perfect solution for you if you're using a 35mm adapter all the time. Definitely get the Velcro belt, though, you'll want it with a heavier rig.

Martin van der Poel May 26th, 2009 06:13 AM

Neck brace for XHA1s

Hi There,
I purchased a Canon Sbr1000 shooting brace for $200.00 from the VideoGuys (Australia) last week.
I used it over the weekend and recorded 3.5 hours of video over a 5 hour period, the length of the individual clips is between 90 seconds and 9 or 10 minutes.
Using the brace greatly reduces the fatigue that you get when hand holding a XH A1s for this period of time. I used it to video ballroom dancing competitions and the stability of the camera is greatly improved.
I have to remark that it is a bit harder to put the camera down between shoots as you have to lay it on it's side, but if a tripod or mono pod is not a good option this will help a lot.

Regards,
Martin

Jonathan Plotkin July 23rd, 2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1026984)
I am custommaking one now and made a wider wooden shoulderpad which is 10cm wide so it's much more stable on my shoulder and i ordered a hood-pro with sock loupe to attach to my lcd so I can use my lcd as a viewfinder.

When it's completely finished I"ll post some more images on my blog but the first tests I did were very promising, it weighs about 7 kg totally (incl camera) but it carries a swit light with adapter an big sony battery, a big spare canon battery and a azden 500udr and it exactly balances on my shoulder. I also attached a quick release plate to easily remove the camera. Every part on the back can taken off as I used a same type of shoe which normally fits a camera light.

I'd love to see pictures of the custom work. Did you construct a new shoulder mount from scratch? Thanks! -JP

Noa Put July 23rd, 2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Plotkin (Post 1175457)
I'd love to see pictures of the custom work.

ofcourse you can, here you go:

CB105 shoulder support and sock loupe lcd screen magnifier part 3|videograffiti

there's also a part 1 and 2 I wrote on that which can be found below, the above link shows everything setup.
CB105 shoulder support and sock loupe lcd screen magnifier part 1|videograffiti
Sock loupe from hoodman|videograffiti

Jonathan Plotkin July 23rd, 2009 11:03 AM

Cool, thanks so much Noa for the pictures and the explanation.

I'm curious - how did you mount the Sony HVR-DR60 to the handle of the XH-A1? Could you have mounted it to the back of the CB-105?

Thanks! JP

Noa Put July 23rd, 2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Plotkin (Post 1175509)
I'm curious - how did you mount the Sony HVR-DR60 to the handle of the XH-A1?

Even for that I have an explanation: :)
Sony HVR-DR60, attaching to a camera, part 3|videograffiti

I did not attach it to the cb105 because when I would take the camera off it needed to stay attached to the camera

Jonathan Plotkin July 24th, 2009 08:25 AM

Wow! That's a great DIY solution. Noa, your handle attachment scheme for the Sony recorder is beautiful - simple, elegant and cheap! I even have the exact same hot shoe attachment that you used, sitting in my bin of discarded parts... Thanks!!

Noa Put July 24th, 2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Plotkin (Post 1175980)
Thanks!!

Your welcome, same here with the hot shoe attachment, had it lying around as well :)
I have used it quite a lot now and I"m very pleased, not only with the dr60, but with the way it has been attached. Combined with the smallest battery you hardly feel the extra weight, especially since it's positioned so far back. It also doesn't get in the way and I can see all info on the dr60 screen easily, the only disadvantage is that you have a bit less space to get your hand around the camera handle. It still is possible but more difficult.

On the other hand, you can't have it all, it is a very cheap but effective addon to my camera.

Ruger Tang August 18th, 2009 03:33 AM

Had anYone mount Xh A1 on ST-7J

HI HI,this my first post.
I useing Cannon Xha1S, I saw the maunual the ST-7J can mount ont XHa1, have anyone have experience on the, thx to reply. :)

Arron Carlton August 22nd, 2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1175485)
ofcourse you can, here you go:

CB105 shoulder support and sock loupe lcd screen magnifier part 3|videograffiti

there's also a part 1 and 2 I wrote on that which can be found below, the above link shows everything setup.
CB105 shoulder support and sock loupe lcd screen magnifier part 1|videograffiti
Sock loupe from hoodman|videograffiti

amazing work

Jo Ouwejan August 23rd, 2009 01:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1026984)

Noa,
I have made my own shoulder mount, and I managed to use the viewfinder in stead of the LCD. This is how I did that: In the bottomplate of them 577 there are two threaded holes. Now if you would make 1 normal hole and one slotted hole in the tip of the shoulder mount, you could use your standdard viewfinder. The camera can be slightly rotated on the tip of the CB105.

Noa Put August 23rd, 2009 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arron Carlton (Post 1255033)
amazing work

Actually very simple and cheap, just the way I like it :)

I have been using it a few times now only during interviews at weddings and I'm quite pleased with it but i still need to make some changes.
Especially the shoulderpad is too hard as it digs into my shoulder after a while, that I need to fill with some kind of soft foam to make it more comfortable. The weight needs getting used to as it's almost 8 kg fully loaded.
Moving in spaces that are small or crowded is challenging because you bump into people easily if you make a turn.
The position of the camera (which is further back to get the viewfinder closer to the eye does make you hold your right arm much closer to your body when you hold the camera, also after a while it does not feel that comfortable but it beats carrying all that wheight just on your arms. if I carry this rig on my shoulder my hands don't need to support it because all the weight is balanced on my shoulder.

Noa Put August 23rd, 2009 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo Ouwejan (Post 1258027)
The camera can be slightly rotated on the tip of the CB105.

Jo, if you rotate the camera does it not stand at an angle then? I allways thought the only way to get the camera in front of your eye with an cb105 alike shouldermount is to offset the camera using an extra u-shaped bracket.

Jo Ouwejan August 23rd, 2009 01:54 PM

Noa,
No, it realy works! Indeed, the centre line of the cam makes an angle with the centre line of the shoulder mount, but in fact that is what I realy wanted. Only thing I had to take care of, is that you need to take the dimension from Vf till center of the Quick Release into account. It would be inconveneant if the VF ends up 2" from your eyebrow, don't you think?

Isaac Lopez August 31st, 2009 05:32 AM

Hello all. My english is few bad sorry for it.

I was lokking a shoulder mount for my XHA1 and i found this post. For all that urs said really i want one CB105.

I got a few questions. First of all, is up the CB105īs creator web?:

Dynamic Motion Video Camera Stabilizer Shoulder Support

I see the copyright is 2006/2008, and really i found so few information about they in the web.

Yours know if i can buy it there and i recive my CB105, or urs know another place where i can buy it?. Another thing, i am for Europe/Spain, and reallly "dynamicmotionvideo", havenīt got information about from where are they, and if they sell CB105 for all world, etc etc.

If urs can help me, for i know how i can buy my CB105 i am so much interesting in it. Thanks you very much, and sorry again for my primitive english ^^.

Noa Put August 31st, 2009 11:03 AM

Hi,
I'm from belgium and ordered a cb105 some time ago, I think the owner is based in America since I had to pay extra customduties. You can pay through paypal and delivery was very quick, it was only the Belgian customs that toke allmost 2 weeks to get it declared.

I think all together, incl. sendingcosts and custom duties I had to pay around 100 euro which I still think is cheap.

You can also send a mail to the owner who gives quick respons if you have more questions or any doubts.

Noa Put August 31st, 2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo Ouwejan (Post 1260248)
Noa, No, it realy works!

Hi Jo, I'm a bit curiuos to see how exactly you build it, would it be ok for you to post a photo how you made it with the camera attached to the cb105?