DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   DIY shoulder brace (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/490688-diy-shoulder-brace.html)

Wayne Reimer January 25th, 2011 04:29 PM

DIY shoulder brace

1 Attachment(s)
I've been wanting to experiment with some of my longer still lenses hand held on the VG-10, so I started looking at shoulder braces. I didn't care much for the pricing, so I built my own.

I've only played around with it for a day, but I think it has promise. the part I like the best is the cost; $22.00.
I may make another, and incorporate some other ideas

Steve Mullen January 25th, 2011 08:54 PM

Very nice. It really is needed because once you beyond the 1855 the lens weighs so much more than the camera. And, the two handles provide lateral stability which is really needed.

Can I use your pix in my book?

Wayne Reimer January 26th, 2011 07:34 AM

it does seem to work well. I've just finished shooting a little video indoors with it , using my $3.99 zoom pull, and together they work quite well.
You most certainy can use the photo, by the way

Glen Vandermolen January 26th, 2011 08:41 AM

Very nice, Wayne! Perhaps you can make a few more for forum members.

Wayne Reimer January 26th, 2011 06:31 PM

thanks! I'm actually quite pleased with the way it performs with long lenses. Seems to make a good deal of difference to my untrained eye.
Nothing special about the construction; 3/4 in. thick wall PVC pipe, a PVC electrical box and a half dozen elbows. I have enough bits and pieces remaining to built another that will position the EVF at just the right spot for my eye. I'm also going to add a quick release sling from the T in front to the bottom of the "over shoulder" hook for a bit of security. It'll actually hang from your shoulder without havig to hang on with both hands, so a sling will make it a bit more convenient to carry when im not actively shooting

Robert Young February 2nd, 2011 12:29 AM

Very clever Wayne.
There used to be a commercial product available that was very similar in appearance and materials, and very inexpensive (less than $100).
It's been a few years & I can't remember the name now.

Les Wilson February 2nd, 2011 08:20 AM

@Robert....Spiderbrace: home
They are still around and have a variety of products. I loved mine with my XL1s and modified it for the XH-A1 handycam form factor. Inserting threaded joints in key places made it easy to breakdown for travel.

Jonathan W. Hickman February 2nd, 2011 04:39 PM

Right, I have a Spiderbrace. It works very well. We put the 7D on one once. The screw mount on them is kinda tricky.

I've used the scissor type you can get on ebay work pretty well. I got one for $30 that has a belt that wraps around you and an arm that swings out and adjusts to you eye. Here's a link to one that looks better than the one I have because it has a quick release. It is only $35 or so: Shoulder Mount Support for Video DV Camcorder HD DSLR - eBay (item 130430211149 end time Feb-06-11 23:46:36 PST)