Gini Advanced Extreme 17: follow focus question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 15th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Gini Advanced Extreme 17: follow focus question

I was thinking of getting this and I wondered if anyone had any experience with it.

I'll be using it with a Panasonic GH2, and I'm particularly interested in how compatible the follow focus would be with my lenses. I have the 14mm, 20mm (Lumix) and 45mm (Olympus) primes, and the first two are very small and close to the camera body. According to the website, you're supposed to buy a gear to go on the lens (is that compulsory or just a way to get you to spend more?), but the right hand side of the GH2 body protrudes almost beyond even the 20mm and might well get in the way of the gear, which looks pretty big. I'm less concerned about the 14mm, because that's not exactly hard to get in focus anyway, but ideally, I'd like it to work with everything.

Or will any old cheap focus gear from Amazon work? For example, this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Follow-Focus...rds=focus+ring
Joe Piechura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 07:52 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Gini Advanced Extreme 17: follow focus question

You need a gear on the lens for a geared follow focus to work.

More importantly, the Gini FF is not a good choice for small lenses and cameras. Too big with no fine tune adjustments.

Look for one that slides in and out to hit your lenses, it will fit better with a small setup.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports