DVRIGPRO vs. DVRIGXL at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 3rd, 2005, 05:35 PM   #1
New Boot

DVRIGPRO vs. DVRIGXL

Has anybody tried both of these? I shot with my XL2 yesterday for 2 hours with no support. My arm was about to fall off! I just wanted to know if the 1 arm unit is better than the 2 arm. I like to use my 7" monitor mounted in the hot shoe. Will the distance from my eyes be far enough? How high and low can you go with the camera? I have the LANC controller so I coud mount it on either one. Do you pan by turning your body? And, is there anything else out there thats good in the under $600. range? Thanks , Alan
Alan Daoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Post moved to our Camera Support forum. Please do a search for these items, as both have been discussed here before. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:06 PM   #3
New Boot

dv rig xl

Yes, I did read all the previous posts. Didn t get the answer to my questions yet. Should I reply to an old post next time or start a new one?
Thanks, Alan
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Two things:
• My understanding is that the DV Rig Pro is NOT for the XL2. The DV Rig XL is made especially for the XL series as it's nose-heavy.
• I can't see why even a 7" monitor on the shoe would be too close on the rig. I had to slide the quick release plate all the way in to use the finder comfortably, so I should think there's plenty of slack to move it away from your face for easy viewing.

I might add that once you achieve all the balancing of the loaded Rig, it's very comfortable and non-tiring.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 06:38 AM   #5
Trustee

Alan is right about the DVRig Pro not being used for the XL1 cameras. Although I don't have an XL1, I have a DVRig Pro that I use with my Sony VX2100's and must say, I love it.
Once you get your XL1 balanced properly by moving the quick release plate to an acceptable area, then you will shoot fatigue free all day long. It might take you a bit longer to balance than the DVRig Pro, as the DVXL ony has one handle on it, because you need at least one hand to operate the camera on your XL1 at all times. The spring support pod that is used will releive a lot of stress from your arms and shouders as well as absorb quite a bit of camera bounce.

If it is available for the DVRig XL, I would recommend getting the tripod adapter and cylinder, for the rig. It will enable you to remove your rig and place it on a tripod, either to rest it or continue shooting.
I shot a wedding last week with my DVRig PRO and VX2100 camera, PAG C6 light system, wireless reciever, shotgun mic attached all day long. I was able to place the rig on my Bogen tripod in seconds, tighten and leave it or continue shooting while on the tripod.
All of this fatigue free after 10 hrs. of shooting.
Old October 4th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #6
New Boot

So, the Dv Pro does not have the right balance for the XL2. Does the DV XL work well with the LANC controller?
Old October 4th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #7
Trustee

"So, the Dv Pro does not have the right balance for the XL2"

That is correct, the DVRig Pro is for smaller prosumer cameras, and the DVRIG XL is designed for shoulder supported cameras like the Canon XL1/2.

And yes you can use a LANC controller, as you would just attach it to the handle of the DVRig XL.
Old October 4th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Daoud
Does the DV XL work well with the LANC controller?
Yup. Scroll down to the bottom of this page for a couple of pix of the DV Rig XL. The ones with the guy wearing the light colored vest.

http://www.varizoom.com/pages/dvrigpro.php
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #9
DV Rig Pro

The most updated photos are at: www.dvtec.tv

Danny.
Danny Natovich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports