Shoulder Brace for a FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old October 23rd, 2005, 05:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shoulder Brace for a FX1

I'm looking for a affordable shoulder brace for my fx1. Do any of you have any recomendations? It would be much appreciated.

Thank's
Chad Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 05:48 PM   #2
Major Player

What's your definition of affordable?

I use the DVRig Pro with my FX1 and love it. I consider it to be affordable.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 05:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The Sony shoulder brace looks like it doesn't do much. The $60 Spider Brace 2 (http://www.spiderbrace.com/) seems like it would be the most cost effective and possible one of the best designed of the light weight shoulder braces.
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 09:16 PM   #4
Major Player

The problem with the Spider Brace is that you'll need a LANC controller if you want to be able to control the zoom/focus. I know a guy who used one with the Z1 and he said he didn't enjoy it.

But it seems to be the best option available at the moment.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 11:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

A cheap option for zoom-only control (and limited at that) as well as Rec/Pause is to strap the Sony Remote to the SpiderBrace.
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 01:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

A trick for the sony rig

I use the Sony rig designed for the FX1, which at $200+ you might not consider as affordable.

But, I really enjoy it, and here is a trick that might help you. I use it in 2 ways, one as its intended way, placing the half pad on the front of the my shoulder and using the viewfinder.
And the second that is the one I use more and makes the camera a WHOLE lot more stable and easy to use is to fully extend the shoulder mount and place the the 2 rods on my shoulder and use the Top flip out LCD monitor.
Its like using a broadcast format camera. Sicne the whole thing is very light it really dosnt matter that you have the 2 metal rod on your shoulder, the padding is really not necessary at all.

Hope it help
Adrian Vallarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank's all for the replies. I like the price of the Spider Brace 2 but I am worried about one day buying a zoom controler and not able to use it but for 60.00 I guess I can't go wrong. Thank's again for the replies.

Chad
Old October 24th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #8
Regular Crew

That very same shoulder mount is $500 dollars + in Canada.
Mike Toledano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I just recieved the Spider Brace 2 today and I love it. Worth every penny. Very light and comfortable to use. Now I'm waiting for my Lanc controler from Sony and have to figure out a way to mount it. Thank's all for the help have a great weekend.

Chad
Old October 29th, 2005, 02:58 AM   #10
Trustee

Chad,
What sort of adjustment is there for the FX1 - can you slide the mounting back and fore, or is it fixed.
Also. since I have a spare LANC controller, would it be possible to mount it in the Spiderbrace (is it sufficiently strong to be able to bolt the controller somewhere?)
I've visited the Spiderbrace website and watched their demo and it certainly seems extremely good value for the price...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #11
Regular Crew

There are two mounting screws so you can mount it on either one. It fit's perfect for me. I will get my Lanc controler on Monday so I will post back with what I do with it. It's made out of PVC so it's pretty strong and very light.

Chad
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Well I recieved my Sony Lanc controller and I took the clip off and took a Tie down and put it around the top of the controller where the photo button is and it's holding pretty good. I shoot some footage yesterday and it worked great so much easier for a little over a 100.00 can't beat the setup.

chad
Chad Solo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports