Z1/FX1 shoulder rest at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 9th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #1
Wrangler

Z1/FX1 shoulder rest

Well today I stopped by a little camera shop and looking through a shelf of junk there I found a bargain - a Video Innovators S-800 Pro Shoulder Rest for $15! It's funny that I've been thinking I need some sort of shoulder rest, but I never expected to find one there.

Anyway, since this topic comes up from time to time, just thought I would post my first impressions. I love it. Just the right size for the Z1, with room to adjust to personal preference. It works especially well on my right shoulder using the LCD screen instead of the viewfinder. I have only played around for a short while, but I'm able to produce much steadier handheld shots with this thing. I had thought about getting the Sony shoulder rest, but I think this is really much nicer.

Unfortunately you probably won't find one as cheap as mine, but at $90 I think it's still a reasonably priced accessory, and a lot less expensive than the Sony shoulder rest:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #2
Trustee

I bought it in a recent trip to NY and I really like it. I shoot with a 35mm lens adapter and sometimes the Fx1+adapter+big lens would get really heavy. This mount is way cheaper than sonys' orignal and does the job perfectly.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 08:19 PM   #3
New Boot

There's also the Spider Brace 2 for $60 shown on dvinfo's sponsor's page. Not sure which is better?? Spider's shoulder support doesn't look as comfortable, but it's 3 point (2 handholds & shoulder) so can be set down on ground with cam attached, to rest it or film from low vantage.
Daniel Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #4
Major Player

I have the SpiderBrace 2 and I love it. For $60 plus $15 shipping, I can't think of too many things I have found as useful for the price.

John
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #5
Major Player

I was thinking of picking up the Spider Brace for my Z1 but the site doesn't list that camera as a model that the brace was designed for.

Have people used it with the Z1?

And do they ship to Australia?
John Hewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat
I was thinking of picking up the Spider Brace for my Z1 but the site doesn't list that camera as a model that the brace was designed for.

I just emailed them to see if Z1 fits. I'll post the reply. I'm moving to Brisbane early Apr, could maybe bring one for you then if you're not in a hurry??
Old February 5th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #7
Wrangler

That was a great find Boyd. I've been using one for about 3 months now and I just want to 2nd/3rd the sentiment. It's a nice low cost option at $90. Works great with the GL-2, DVX100, and VX Sony series as well. Still itching to try it out with a rented FX1/Z1.

*** Just make sure to get the B&H kit which is the same price and includes Video Innovator's handy-dandy camcorder handle. It's not shown in the picture but it also comes with a couple of arms so you can load a side light or microphone.

The one caveat I have, is that if the camcorder is back heavy, it can slide to the side a little, but a thick rubber band solves that problem.
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #8
New Boot

Quote:

John,
Here's the reply I got to my email from the Spiderbrace people re the Z1:

Hello Daniel. Tomorrow, Monday, I'm working with my webmeister to overhaul my website to include most of the popular cameras (e.g., Z1 and FX1,) that work with the Spiderbrace's different models. And indeed, many Z1 owners have bought the SB2, making it a very popular combination.

We have numerous adjustments to the SB over the years and will probably do some more in the future. Heretofore, however, the rounded, padded shoulder rest has, in our (and our customers,) opinion, provided satisfactory comfort, but your comments are noted.

We're *very* aware of all the numerous design for shoulder support devices out there (our competitors.) We think the SB is the best overall value, period.

Although I understand some folks like it, I personally am not a fan of any type of bar or rod that attaches a shoulder support to a belt. For me, I need to be able to run and gun and be completely fluid, climb in and out of cars, up ladders, suddenly tilt up or down - I don't like to be attached to anything and like being able to set my camera down quickly. I've hand held day long concerts (using the SB,) and never felt fatigue on the arms (of course, I use a technique where I rest my bent arms on my chest). I've been operating for over 20 years.

The Spiderbrace was conceived with two main things in mind: solid functionality and an affordable price. We're always trying to make it better so please, pass along any other suggestions.

All my best,
Marcos

Spiderbrace Shoulder Support
www.spiderbrace.com
512-447-4816
Old February 9th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lucas
I just emailed them to see if Z1 fits. I'll post the reply. I'm moving to Brisbane early Apr, could maybe bring one for you then if you're not in a hurry??
Got a SB2 with a Z1U and it works.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I got a Video Innovators S-800 Pro Shoulder Rest a short while ago. My only and main complaint with this product is that it has been designed for someone with significantly shorter arms than my lanky physic provides.
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #11
Regular Crew

i ve been using the spiderbrace with my z1 for 4 months now. I really am very satisfied with it.
It is very handy to use.
I use it as a steadicam system as well. If you tie the sony camera shoulder strap or a piece of rope around your shoulder and then hang the back of the spider in the shoulderstrap under your arm you can run with the z1 but still shooth very smooth.
My comments:
I would have liked a detachable side grip. so I can put the spider in my camerabag. Now it is hanging loose outside of the bag. A bit annoying.
When it would be possible to use a mountable sidearm.......that would solve it. a friend of mine who is handy promised to try to make this ppossible .
i am in europe so asking the manufacturer to do it for me is a bit complicated.
I am sure that they can do this. I was the first to order a spiderbrace for the z1 equiped with a chrosziel mattebox.. They custom made it after i send them the measurements !
Another thing that I would like is that i can use my sachtler tripodplate on it.
Now when detaching the spider I looose time when putting the sachtler plate back under the camera. But hey...89 dollars......
Jane Snijders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #12
Major Player

Well I've just ordered the Spider Brace 2 for my Z1.

I don't much fancy the faceless "Pay by PayPal" way it works but I suppose I'll get the product sooner or later.

Should I expect an email to confirm postage or anything likr that?

I'm wondering how long it will take to get to me over here in Australia.

P.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lucas
I'm moving to Brisbane early Apr, could maybe bring one for you then if you're not in a hurry??
Thanks for the offer Daniel - I'd have taken you up on it too if I wasn't so impatient.
John Hewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lumbroso
I got a Video Innovators S-800 Pro Shoulder Rest a short while ago. My only and main complaint with this product is that it has been designed for someone with significantly shorter arms than my lanky physic provides.
I'm 6' 1" with long arms and concerned I get something that fits. I see on B&H that there is a Pro & a Super Pro--that has an extra hinge joint (can't see if that also extends further) that adjusts 6 1/2 inches. Does your Pro extend 6 1/2 inches? I'm wondering if the Super Pro gets extra reach, or if they're the same in that regard.
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Well I've just ordered the Spider Brace 2 for my Z1.

I don't much fancy the faceless "Pay by PayPal" way it works but I suppose I'll get the product sooner or later.

Should I expect an email to confirm postage or anything likr that?

I'm wondering how long it will take to get to me over here in Australia.

P.S.

Thanks for the offer Daniel - I'd have taken you up on it too if I wasn't so impatient.
No problem, John. I don't usually like waiting either.
I've used PayPal for a couple yrs & find it very convenient. When I order something using PayPal, the seller sends it right away, compared to sellers who require certified chqs or money orders that take time to mail to them. You get an email confirmation from PayPal for the transaction. The confirmation of shipping comes from the seller, often with tracking number if they use couriers, but all sellers are different. If you don't get something shortly after purchase from them, try emailing them from the reply I posted above from them. They'ld probably know best how long it will take, depending on how they shipped it, regular or express. I know when we send mail to rellies in Oz, it takes roughly a couple wks, at least a wk for express mail.
I like to use my credit card when possible, since it's the most convenient, but not everyone accepts them. A few U.S. companies don't accept Canadian credit cards.
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #15
Major Player

The spider brace works great. Use a quick release adapter for it so it will fit your tripod too. I use the bogen 501 head so I bought the quick release place that is the same as the 501 head.

Jon
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports