Manfrotto Fig Rig review - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:50 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hmmmmm - maybe I dramatised a little ... What the heck - I knew what I meant! Maybe I don't expect to be taken too seriously?
Michael Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #17
New Boot

Dear Michael, Rick, Steven, Charles, Mikko: Thank you so much for your passionate opinions and views. I guess we must all agree to disagree for the sake of free expression and unrestricted/uncensored flow of helpful knowledge and information. All your opinions are most welcome because it contributes to me making a decision whether to buy the Fig Rig or not. I really appreciate your inputs as it helps me avoid making unnecessary or costly purchases. Sometimes you could "afford" trial and error and you just "charge" it to experience but as much as possible, I would rather experiment with not so expensive gears and stuff. Again, thank you guys! Hope to hear from you when I need a review of another item, as we like to call it: FORUM SHOPPING. :-)

Sincerely,

Jong
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #18
Major Player

I use a Fig Rig and a GL2 frequently for following conversations and really like it -- sure it gets heavy, but you can get in so much closer and really move around and be a part of what is going on, esp. with the shotgun mounted right to it. Most of the other handheld stabilizers I've seen seem kinda clumsy for that type of work.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Gioja
I use a Fig Rig and a GL2 frequently for following conversations and really like it -- sure it gets heavy, but you can get in so much closer and really move around and be a part of what is going on, esp. with the shotgun mounted right to it. Most of the other handheld stabilizers I've seen seem kinda clumsy for that type of work.
Philip, could you recommend something with in the same price range for a wedding run and gun type of situation? I have a GL2. I shoot weddings mostly from a tripod, but when I'm following the bride and groom to the car or up stairs and such, or want to really get in close to the dance, I want something that will work for that. So Philip, or anyone else that uses one, is this a good wedding alternative to handheld, or is there something with in the smae price that I might want to conisder.

I got the fact that the fig rig is like an apple and the other rigs are oranges, they are different, got it. What else in the same price range would work for running and gunning?
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #20
Major Player

how do you have any control over your cam if both of your hands are being used?? how would you pull focus?
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Todd
how do you have any control over your cam if both of your hands are being used?? how would you pull focus?
I have a zoom controller, that's another question I'm wondering.
Old March 6th, 2006, 06:22 PM   #22
New Boot

Fig Rig I like it :) very much :)

I have used it with my HVR Z1 for some commercial TV spots one has been transfered to film and the others were for broadcast television (a furniture store)
All shots are kind of "reality" run & gun shots with lots of movements and I loved it and my customer also likedthe shots we got.

We did very interesting and unsual steady shots and it is fun to work with, and a good piece of converstaion also
(The customer didnt wnt to pay for the stedycam and after using the Fig Rig he was pleased with the results and the savings)

I used it first without the controller and it was a little weird but then I bought the the Bogen 521PRO Zoom and focus controller and it really helps
to use the FIG RIG

Now I use it almost daily

Here are some pics of the last production http://www.video.com.mx/precios/cineminutos.htm

Ing. José María Noriega
Director
video@video.com.mx

www.video.com.mx
Old March 6th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Noriega
I have used it with my HVR Z1 for some commercial TV spots one has been transfered to film and the others were for broadcast television (a furniture store)
All shots are kind of "reality" run & gun shots with lots of movements and I loved it and my customer also likedthe shots we got.
Yeah, I just don't want to be known as the guy at the wedding with the steering wheel. :}
Old April 4th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #24
New Boot

Fig Rig

Here's what I have to say about it. This unit is definately better than handheld if you are moving around. I am an owner and I can say that it does what it is supposed to. Is it as good as a steadicam device for walking shots? The answer is no. However, it is the best device I have found for non-steadicam shots. I am a run-and-gun videographer and I do not need a steadicam vest and support arm in my way. First, you must learn how to move with it. Elbows horizonal will produce the smoothest shots. You also must learn how to walk smoothly. Your arms will absorb a lot of the shock, but will not totally eliminate it. Practice makes perfect! I cannot stress this enough, practice, practice, practice! I am a wedding videographer and the Fig Rig fits a role that no other device will. For the ceremony, I use a custom made shouder mount with a waist support. During the reception, I turn to the Fig Rig. It allows me to move freely with a considerable amount of stability. If you are wanting to use the Fig Rig for weddings, and you need mobility and steadiness, the Fig Rig can't be beat. For an amateur film-maker on a budget, the same applies. Some may agree, and some may not, but I don't care if it looks like a steering wheel, the customer will appreciate the finished project when I am done with their video. I can't tell you how difficult it was for me to spend $300 for a piece of aluminum tubing shaped into a wheel. I removed this item from my shopping cart at least 3 times from BHPhotovideo.com before i actually broke down and bought it. I am glad I did. Hope this helps!
Grady Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #25
Trustee

Thanks for those thoughts, Grady - they're more or less my feelings about the rig as well.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Well my plan is to buy one in a couple of months to use at weddings. I have a lot of faith in my plan to use it to get those run and gun shoots such as the bride and groom walking to the car etc. My plan is to have all my tripods have the same plate so I can go from the fig rig to the pod and back and forth. There is that 30 seconds or so that I have been missing between the end of the ceremony and the bride and groom in the hallway etc. Although I will soon have two main cameras, so that shouldn't be a problem. But I do want the ability to pull off the tripod and onto the fig rig.

If that doesn't work I will install it in my Xterra. :}
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bott
To answer Jong's concern about weight - in practise, in my case, not a concern. Even with a Z1 and. at one point a PAG light mounted. The mitigating factors are (as opposed to a handheld steadicam device): 1) you don't have to find somewhere to put it down between shots - just hold anywhere in one hand and let it hang down to one side - nothing falls off and it's still ready in an instant. 2) Because of the design, you can hold the rig in a variety of ways. This means you can alter the muscle groups you are using and keep going for longer. 3) You don't need to hold at arm's length. If you're arms are flexed and reletively relaxed it's easy to support with two hands. Moreover, in some positions, ie. with the rig tucked into your body for statics, I find it much less strain than holding the camera alone.
Michael, I have a question comparing the DVRig Pro and the Fig Rig.
However, my curent setup is a DVRig Pro setup with VX2100, mic, PAG Light C6, LANC Remote, wireless, PAG battery on back of rig, with tripod mount.

My question is, that I see how you mount accessories to the Fig Rig and mount it on a tripod. But how heavy would it get on your arms loaded up with wireless, light, shotgun mic, LANC, and what do you do with your PAG light battery pack (sling it over your shoulder)?

It is good that you can have a variety of freedom and positions for moving shots, but with my DVRig, I can shoot all day pretty much fatigue free. I picture this doing a number on my shoulders and arms by the end of a long 6-8 hour shoot.

So with this being said, would a Fig Rig be condusive to someone who shoots live events, like weddings, recitals and such, where a shoot could be as long as 6-10 hours?

I figure that I could use the Fig Rig when needed and mount back on a tripod for lockdown shots and release again when needed.
Mainly I wanted to find out how physically demanding on your upper body, would something like this be. Tthis from someone who has upper shoulder, neck pain.
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady Anderson
Here's what I have to say about it. This unit is definately better than handheld if you are moving around. I am an owner and I can say that it does what it is supposed to. Is it as good as a steadicam device for walking shots? The answer is no. However, it is the best device I have found for non-steadicam shots. I am a run-and-gun videographer and I do not need a steadicam vest and support arm in my way. First, you must learn how to move with it. Elbows horizonal will produce the smoothest shots. You also must learn how to walk smoothly. Your arms will absorb a lot of the shock, but will not totally eliminate it. Practice makes perfect! I cannot stress this enough, practice, practice, practice! I am a wedding videographer and the Fig Rig fits a role that no other device will. For the ceremony, I use a custom made shouder mount with a waist support. During the reception, I turn to the Fig Rig. It allows me to move freely with a considerable amount of stability. If you are wanting to use the Fig Rig for weddings, and you need mobility and steadiness, the Fig Rig can't be beat. For an amateur film-maker on a budget, the same applies. Some may agree, and some may not, but I don't care if it looks like a steering wheel, the customer will appreciate the finished project when I am done with their video. I can't tell you how difficult it was for me to spend $300 for a piece of aluminum tubing shaped into a wheel. I removed this item from my shopping cart at least 3 times from BHPhotovideo.com before i actually broke down and bought it. I am glad I did. Hope this helps!
Gary thanks for the feedback, as I too am an event videographer.
One question...
Would you consider using the FigRig for Ceremony processionals and then just mount it to a preplaced sationary tripod for lockdown shooting?

And after a long wedding reception shoot, are you fatiged?

Currently I use a DvRig Pro in this manner for both the ceremony and reception, and it has served me well, pretty much fatigue free.
But the Fig Rig would give me more mobility for moving shots than my DvRig, but fatigue worries me, as I have slight issues with my upper shouder-neck area.
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Well my plan is to buy one in a couple of months to use at weddings. I have a lot of faith in my plan to use it to get those run and gun shoots such as the bride and groom walking to the car etc. My plan is to have all my tripods have the same plate so I can go from the fig rig to the pod and back and forth. There is that 30 seconds or so that I have been missing between the end of the ceremony and the bride and groom in the hallway etc. Although I will soon have two main cameras, so that shouldn't be a problem. But I do want the ability to pull off the tripod and onto the fig rig.

If that doesn't work I will install it in my Xterra. :}
Steven, you can mount the entire Fig Rig on a stationary tripod. So you mount and remove the entire rig setup at a momenst notice.
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
Steven, you can mount the entire Fig Rig on a stationary tripod. So you mount and remove the entire rig setup at a momenst notice.

Do you have a picture of this?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports