SpiderBrace2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old April 3rd, 2006, 05:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

SpiderBrace2

I have been using the SB2 on a couple of jobs and I am very pleased with it - it seems to work just as well as the DVRig at about a tenth of the price ! One minor criticism however: it's difficult to pack. If one or more of the arms could be folded some way that would be a real bonus.
Cheers
Mike
Mike Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #2
DV Rig Pro

"... it seems to work just as well as the DVRig at about a tenth of the price..."

How can you compare a Shock absorbing, Folding, Supported, adjustable and more... system to a simple basic sholder support ?

I guess you never "really" used a DvRigPro. for loooooong shootings.

Danny Natovich
DvTec
Danny Natovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #3
Major Player

As I mentioned last year, the series "Always Sunny in Philadelpia," which is shot with two DVX100A cameras bought the DVRig Pros for the operators, but after using the DVRig for awhile, one operator switched to the Spider Brace, and the other operator prefered a monopod. And these guys are putting in ten hour days. Just whatever floats your boat.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Danny, you compare them by the results you get with each.
I have used both ( with an FX1 ) though neither for long periods - maybe in 15 mins bursts or so at a time. The SB2 is easier to put on and off and -more importantly - easier to put down. It's just that much simpler and so much less of a performance and you get essentially the same result with both - steadier, more fluent filming - than you could manage with a hand held, non-shoulder mounted camera. For long periods I am usually on tripod and dolly.
Cheers
Mike
Mike Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 07:32 AM   #5
Major Player

I like the Spider Brace 2 a lot, but not for more than 45 minutes. I made the mistake of using it Saturday night to shoot front camera footage (camera 1 of 3) at band's festival performance. The band played for 75 minutes. Those last 30 minutes were rough; the last 15 minutes were excruciatingly painful. My left shoulder and lower back were killing me after the shoot and into the next morning. Had I known in advance that my mobility would have been so limited, I would have just used a tripod!

I'm not knocking the Spider Brace 2. It has its place. Unfortunately, this shoot wasn't it. The problem is that I had to angle the camera upward toward the stage instead of just standing erect and shooting straight ahead.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 07:50 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wade
Danny, you compare them by the results you get with each.
I have used both ( with an FX1 ) though neither for long periods - maybe in 15 mins bursts or so at a time. The SB2 is easier to put on and off and -more importantly - easier to put down. It's just that much simpler and so much less of a performance and you get essentially the same result with both - steadier, more fluent filming - than you could manage with a hand held, non-shoulder mounted camera. For long periods I am usually on tripod and dolly.
Cheers
Mike
Now I haven't ever used the Spiderbrace, but, these 2 are different animals, as a spider brace was designed like a sportscar, for quick run and gun shooting, while the DVRig Pro, is a pickup truck and was designed for long all day shooting, loaded up with all of your accessories.

I have been usig a DVRig Pro for over 2 years now, for event shooting (8 hours plus), and it has worked like a champ for me.
I load up everything n the rig PAGC6 light and battery, wireless, shotgun mic, LANC control, (can you load all of this on a spider brace?) and shoot with it all day long for steady creative shots, and too boot I can also moount the entire rig on a tripod for lockdown shooting in about 5 seconds.

Mike, take a look at Danny's new MultiRig (sports car, or mini SUV) setup and get back to him then.
This thing is gonna be versitile and QUICK to setup and use. A multitude of configurations, from shulder mount (loaded with accessories (ala DVRig Pro), low profile, (2) hand-held similar to FigRig or Spider Brace.
Check it out:
http://dannynatovich.bizland.com/nonamerig/

The Spiderbrace looks like a very good affordable product, but it is only a shoulder support, nothing more.
BTW, I don't work for Danny at all, but am a big supporter of his products.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Borek
I'm not knocking the Spider Brace 2. It has its place. Unfortunately, this shoot wasn't it. The problem is that I had to angle the camera upward toward the stage instead of just standing erect and shooting straight ahead.
Did you try sticking the shoulder leg under your armpit instead of over your shoulder? When you do this you have to use the fold-out screen instead of they eyepiece. I find that works pretty well for angled up shots.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Any idea what the price point is on the DVMultiRig?
Brian Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Brian Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #10
DV Rig Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Burns
The DVMultiRig price list is published at www.dvmultirig.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports