"Fig Rig" with HD100, other cams at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 4th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

"Fig Rig" with HD100, other cams

Has anyone had experience using the Manfrotto Fig Rig with the HD100 and AB battery setup?
suggestions/recommendations?
cheers!
Peter Dolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes, forget it... too heavy and unbalanced. The Fig Rig was design for smaller cameras like the DVX100.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia
Yes, forget it... too heavy and unbalanced. The Fig Rig was design for smaller cameras like the DVX100.

I could be wrong, but didn't I see a picture of the DP from "24" holding the HD100 mounted on the Fig Rig?
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #4
Major Player

Maybe with the Manfrotto's 501 long plate it's possible to balance the camera, I had to get one to use with my 503 head when I purchased the Switt batteries. But the weight is a problem that becomes even worst because of the cameras long size, you can't keep it near your body.
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

"24" show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia
Maybe with the Manfrotto's 501 long plate it's possible to balance the camera, I had to get one to use with my 503 head when I purchased the Switt batteries. But the weight is a problem that becomes even worst because of the cameras long size, you can't keep it near your body.
I think what you are referencing is here http://www.showreel.org/memberarea/article.php?141

"Sony Z1U" although with the way it's rigged in that picture it looks at least as heavy and unbalanced as what the HD100 might be
Old April 5th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #6
Major Player

I've seen pics of Taylor Gahm with an XL2 mounted on one...I can't imagine that wouldn't be just as heavy.
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #7
Inner Circle

When I tried the FigRig with a PD170 it felt fine, but by time you've bolted on your mic and Softie, video light, battery, twin LANC controllers and radio receiver it's getting to be a bit of a strain on the arms. No problem if you're a regular down at the gym though.

What isn't so clever is that should you want to let go with your left hand to alter the exposure wheel as you film, the strain on your right hand is almost unbearable as this hand is left holding the entire weight and struggling to keep the cam on an even keel.

If you're happy to film in the auto exposure mode then no problem - it's just that I can't see folk using a FigRig if they're 'auto-shooters', can you?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #8
Regular Crew

good points!

Thank You everyone for your feedback ... all good points
I guess I will just have to go try it out myself in a real world situation and see how it goes
I will post my experience and any suggestions that I might have
cheers
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dolman
I think what you are referencing is here http://www.showreel.org/memberarea/article.php?141

"Sony Z1U" although with the way it's rigged in that picture it looks at least as heavy and unbalanced as what the HD100 might be
That looks totaly unbalanced to me, I can't see how usefull is the Fig Rig in that situation. The HD100 with the A/B batteries is longer on the back, it would be better balanced that the Z1. I tried the Fig Rig with my HD101 (with the stock JVC battery) and a with a DVX100. I didn't like it for the JVC, it's too heavy, the camera doesn't have OSD that helps a lot when your walking and you can't control focus. I will try it with the Switt battery on the HD100 and will post my opinion.
Old April 5th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #10
Major Player

I just ordered one today for shoot a next week, odd to see this post the same day I placed my order. hmmm...

We are goiing to use it with the HVX, not our HD100 (although you know I'm going to mount it anyway just to try it out). I'll try and post the results with the JVC/IDX combo next week.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #11
Regular Crew

any update daniel?
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #12
Major Player

Well, yes and no.

I did not get to shoot with it directly the night of the shoot, our second operator shot the "At Risk" book trailer using the fig rig but... a lot of motion was kept in to add that sense of urgency. I don't know if the motion was smooth enough to justify the use of the rig as a control point in that way, but it did help allow the operator to hand the camera off at a key point in time, and so it was good for that. I am waiting to get the FigRig back to the office, so that I can make my own decision on it's actual value of use.

The book trailer is here: FLASH 8 REQUIRED! I do hate what Flash can do to video when compression is agressive, kind of trashes our end result.
http://patriciacornwell.com/

Again, this was not shot with JVC's HD100 but instead we used the HVX. This was simply because we needed HD with auto focus and OIS. I have mixed feelings about the results of the HVX and low light, but in all fairness I had the same results shooting the behind the scenes with the JVC. Let’s not get into this yet, as I need some hands on with the Fig / JVC combo.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports