DVrig Pro Tips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 4th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #1
New Boot

DVrig Pro Tips

Anyone got any useful tips on using varicams DVrig pro when attached to a Canon XL H1? I've recently bought one and found it very useful for a long days shooting (over 11 hours! off and on).

I was very impressed with the balance but feel for £400 it could have been a better experience so any usage tips on rigs would be appreciated.

Cheers

Brian Wheatley
The Multi Media Market
email: multimediamarket@btinternet.com
07887 655728
Brian Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #2
Old Boot

DOn't have your camera -sulk! - but:

* I've exerted my prodigious muscular body in ever so slightly bending OUTWARDS the down-handles

* Got a Frotti 521Pro lanc on one of the handles.

* Have fixed my cabling in a loom that now is cable tied to the chassis - I hate cables!

* Have a RAM support for my LCD monitor

* PAG light battery velcroed to rear

* I mostly use it with both springs released

* Bought the frotti tripod converter shoe - easy switch from DVrig to Miller tripod

* In terms of position I have used it with the downward option slung low so I'm mostly looking OVER the camera - HENCE the monitor - FAB!!!

. .and yes, it is a remarkable piece of kit. I've videoed all day with this set up and could have gone another 12 hours!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #3
New Boot

Weights at the back

Playing around with the Rig I've discovered if you have someone else pressing down on your shoulder you get a much better feel and balance. So, unless you can attach a human to your right shoulder blade I guess I'll be buying some weights to add to the rig!

;)
Brian Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:29 AM   #4
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wheatley
I guess I'll be buying some weights to add to the rig!

;)

Well, mine came with a counterbalance. Not BIG, I grant you that, but why not consider some useful opportunity to fix a lighting battery?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #5
New Boot

Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard
Well, mine came with a counterbalance. Not BIG, I grant you that, but why not consider some useful opportunity to fix a lighting battery?
Mine came with a weight aswell - not planning on adding a light at the moment - might use a bag of frozen peas....keep me cool in this hot weather!
Brian Wheatley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports