Steady Stick to tripod and back at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 16th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Steady Stick to tripod and back

Has anyone come up with an easy, fast way to go from a Steady Stick to a tripod and/or the other way? I can see times when I'd want to quickly go from hand-held to a tripod or vice-versa.

Yeah, I know, hit the gym to build up my upper body strength and forget about using rigs. (Just came from a session with my personal trainer aka personal torturer and I ache from ankles to ears!)
Bill Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Bill,

I guess you're meaning a MonoPod for the "Steady Stick".

Try getting two "Quick Release" mounting units and put one on each.

I use one on each of my 4 Cams and 3 TriPods, Monpod, Shoulder Mount, ChestPod, HandPod, ect.

Can change between them all in seconds.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Schreiber
I guess you're meaning a MonoPod for the "Steady Stick".
No, I really mean the Davis & Sanford Steady Stick by Tiffen:

http://www.tiffen.com/SteadyStick.htm

I'm guessing there is no fast-and-dirty way to do what I want, but I could be wrong. Good thing I'm doing a 2-camera shoot and I can just pick up the 2nd camera footage in post to cover me fumbling the Steady Stick adaptor off and the tripod adaptor on, then to swap back again.

Or, even better, since the hand-held part shouldn't last too long (famous last words) I'll ignore the Steady Stick.

The following week I have a 3-day shoot (OK, 2.5 days -- it won't start til 5pm Friday) that will involve hours of hand-held, and quite a bit of fixed position tripod as well. However I'll have (barely) adequate time to go from one to the other so swapping adaptors won't be a problem ... I hope.
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Bill,

I've got my MonoPod set up similar to that, in addition it being a straight MonoPod. (Bogen 3218)

I made a vertical articulating head and a removeable side handle, along with a belt holder. Much cheaper than the "Steady Stick", and will do much of what it does.

Still seems the Quick Release units would work. Does it not have a Quick Release mount on it ?? If not, I'd think it should have one OEM.

Harold
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #5
DVCreators.Net

Maybe one of these http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/3264
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran
Umm, well, ummm ...

Gee, why didn't I think of that? I'd need two: one base on the Steady Stick and one on my tripod.

Thanks Guy.

BTW, I bought the Steady Stick from DVeStore. Fantastic price and quick delivery. Now, about those quick release adaptors ...
Old October 17th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Bill,

That's the idea. The one Guy points you to, is a better grade than those I've been using for years now. Since my biggest Cam is a TRV-950, the SIMA units I use work just fine, at about $10 a pop. If I had a bigger Cam, I'd use heavier duty Quick Release units.

Harold
Old October 17th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Harold, what would you suggest for a DVX100a?
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Bill,

Since the 100a is both larger and heavier that my 950, I'd go with a stouter Quick Release unit like the one Guy pointed you to, or at least one of similar quality. More $$$, but more safety for the Cam. The SIMA units I use, I'd be reluctant to use with a 100a or similar sized Cam.

Harold
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #10
New Boot

I use one of the Bogen QR assemblies (the one Guy mentioned) on my monopod so I can switch to my tripod in a snap. It's perfect for my DVX, very robust, and the plates work with the 501 and 503 heads(not sure about the 516). I think I paid around $55 with shipping from B&H.
Chris Stearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. Chris, I'm supposed to be receiving a used tripod with a 501 head and it is good to know that I'd only have to buy one adaptor.

That is, I sent some guy on another forum a check but haven't heard a thing about the tripod shipping yet; almost a week ago he did tell me he got the check. I hope I didn't just throw my money away.
Bill Flowers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports