Dvmultirig different models - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old December 31st, 2006, 07:03 AM   #16
Major Player

Hi Danny,

thanks for the info. Could you please also tell me which model comes with belt support?
Does the system allow the cam pan and tilt mounted on the rig, as on the pics it seems a rigid system, that allows only body movements. I cant see a joint under the camera that would allow pan and tilt. So in fact it looks that the op has to turn his body or bend over in case of pan or tilt.
Is that correct?
Old December 31st, 2006, 07:06 AM   #17
Trustee

Zsolt,
The firring that connects the support pod to the rig is flexible and lets you tilt and pan quite a bit. Or if you prefer you can tilt and pan with your body.
Bruce yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 07:07 AM   #18
Trustee

I meamy "fiitting", not "firring".
Bruce S,. yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 07:14 AM   #19
DV Rig Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
Zsolt,
The firring that connects the support pod to the rig is flexible and lets you tilt and pan quite a bit. Or if you prefer you can tilt and pan with your body.
Bruce yarock
www.yarock.com
In the stabilizerPlus config. you can pan,tilt and roll with out moving your body. In the MultiRig pro shoulder brace confiq. you have to follow the camera with your body otherwise the shoulder brace will not lean on your shoulder !

To second Bruce, the conection between the pod to the mount is flexible so is the support pod itself !
and yes, the unit is suplied with a spring clip holster to fit any standard or athletic belt.
Old December 31st, 2006, 06:11 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos
Same for me. Looking for a solution now but unfortunately the website is all but user friendly.
Its great that one can find a lot of photos, thats how I get some feel how the thingy works.
However, I think a marketing person would be required to redesign the website in order to guide Rig naive people (these are all the potential customers...) and give clear sight about how these rigs would satisfy their needs, before they navigate to some competitor website.

I cannot agree more with these comments.

Danny,

if I have not read the many posts on this forum I would never find your products nor knowing what they are for. Your site needs more descriptions and photos. Gather your replies on this forum in a FAQ will help as well. An introduction video will be perfect! Why bury your products when they can shine?

I really hope that you can develop a quick release addon that we can put between the bracket and the pod.
Paul Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 02:11 AM   #21
DV Rig Pro

Thank you guys ! I will give your comments full attention.
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:14 PM   #22
Regular Crew

manual freedom?

Working with the DVmultirig.
Can you shoot in full manual mode (Canon A1) with the support pod attached ? One hand on focus the other on the zoom? Not holding the handles? Fold the grip handles away so they do not interfere with the manual handling? Can you shoot with the DVmultirig the same way you can with the DVrig junior ?

Looking at the pictures on the DVmultirig website, there are only 2 picts that shows a shooting situation where one hand is making manual focus (the left grip is folded away, the other hand is holding the right grip). All other pictures show me shooters that are keeping both hands on the two grips, I presume shooting in full 'auto-consumercam mode'. You can however attach a remote zoom/focus controller on the handle to have control again.

I want a support that gives me the possibility to:
1) look through the viewfinder -that is camera height below shoulder line-
2) support the camera weight with freedom to move
3) fold both grips away so I can use the zoomrocker with right- and focus/zoom/iris with the left hand. Without interfering the manual camera operation.
4) And also the obvious 'auto mode' with hands on grips in Fig rig style or classic mode.

DVrig junior gives me 1 to 3, can DVmultirig give me all?
Raymond Toussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:41 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Toussaint
Working with the DVmultirig.
Can you shoot in full manual mode (Canon A1) with the support pod attached ? One hand on focus the other on the zoom? Not holding the handles? Fold the grip handles away so they do not interfere with the manual handling? Can you shoot with the DVmultirig the same way you can with the DVrig junior ?

Looking at the pictures on the DVmultirig website, there are only 2 picts that shows a shooting situation where one hand is making manual focus (the left grip is folded away, the other hand is holding the right grip). All other pictures show me shooters that are keeping both hands on the two grips, I presume shooting in full 'auto-consumercam mode'. You can however attach a remote zoom/focus controller on the handle to have control again.

3) fold both grips away so I can use the zoomrocker with right- and focus/zoom/iris with the left hand. Without interfering the manual camera operation.
4) And also the obvious 'auto mode' with hands on grips in Fig rig style or classic mode.

Ray, you can shoot in any manner that you wish.

All of the handles can be pulled in if you prefer for full handheld mode using the suspension pod only. The only thing you can't do it turn the center handle (would be the right grip if in shoulder mode), all the way in, but slightly off to the side (or straight forward), as the support pod screws into the bottom of that arm.

You can configure the MultiRig in any configuration of any device that you see on DVTecs site.
I would recommend using a LANC remote, as this way your hands are really never on the camera (except when needed) and you can focus on just shooting. And if you do use a LANC, then use it on the left handle, as this handle will always be used in any configuration that you will need to shoot with (Fig Rig, Handheld, support handheld, shoudler mode etc.). You will have greater control and stability withought worrying about camera giggles when adjustng your zoom or focus. The Iris is the only thing you would have to adjust.

You will also get steadier shots using the MultiRig in support handheld or support fig rig mode, minus the shoulder configuration. As you are basically getting the camera away from your body preventing any body movements or shakes (Your body is always moving). And the 2 section support pod absorbs most of the small camera vibrations that you may have.
Of course if you stumble, it will show up in the video.
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:19 AM   #24
DV Rig Pro

Quote:

To sum up Michaels post, It is yes, to all your needs and more.. The two grip + support pod position (Stabilizer Plus) is some thing that you have to expirience to understand, Isn't it so Michael ?
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:27 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Natovich
To sum up Michaels post, It is yes, to all your needs and more.. The two grip + support pod position (Stabilizer Plus) is some thing that you have to expirience to understand, Isn't it so Michael ?
Danny, that's and understatement.
It's like my camera is flying.
Old February 1st, 2007, 05:12 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Thanks for answering. Without spending to much time on this side subject, I just don't like Lanc for moving, remote work. For studio ok, for steadycam or figrig ok, but I want my hands on the cam, switch A/B white balance, change focus on the lens. I want a horizontal rocker for zoom so I can lay two fingers on it with pressure to make creep slow- and multifast zooms with it. Its hard to learn an old fox new tricks. I never worked with AF lenses or OIS, but on the Canon A1 shake and stumble is all flatten out.

That's why I want a support that makes a palmsize camera feels like a shoulder cam. And I know I am going to hate that Lanc, the manual lens 'feel' is already so so as it is. So, I'm searching for a mount that supports, but leaves the cam controls where they are and does not interfere with it. All what gives more is an extra to explore, I believe you that new possibilities are there when you start working with it. The best would be to find a multirig to try out.
Raymond Toussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 05:18 PM   #27
DV Rig Pro

Quote:
Thanks for answering. Without spending to much time on this side subject, I just don't like Lanc for moving, remote work. For studio ok, for steadycam or figrig ok, but I want my hands on the cam, switch A/B white balance, change focus on the lens. I want a horizontal rocker for zoom so I can lay two fingers on it with pressure to make creep slow- and multifast zooms with it. Its hard to learn an old fox new tricks. I never worked with AF lenses or OIS, but on the Canon A1 shake and stumble is all flatten out.

That's why I want a support that makes a palmsize camera feels like a shoulder cam. And I know I am going to hate that Lanc, the manual lens 'feel' is already so so as it is. So, I'm searching for a mount that supports, but leaves the cam controls where they are and does not interfere with it. All what gives more is an extra to explore, I believe you that new possibilities are there when you start working with it. The best would be to find a multirig to try out.
In some situations, mostly day exteriors, going AF is not bad and in fact is the the best way.

I understand your problem, It is difficult to decide.
You can order both, a JuniorRig and a MultiRig, test them for couple of weeks
and send back one of them for full refund. All you risk is 15$ mail charge.
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Natovich
test them for couple of weeks
and send back one of them for full refund. All you risk is 15$ mail charge.
And the VAT that you will never get back in this case. For a $445 thingy it is close to $100 in most EU countries. You may pay customs tax, too.

Before it is forgotten again.
Old February 6th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks for answering. Without spending to much time on this side subject, I just don't like Lanc for moving, remote work.
Raymond, you cannot avoid using Lanc with a rig like this. Imagine when you hold both handles in your hands, then on the run you have to adjust something. You will move one hand to the cam, even if you are a magician, this will be seen in the picture as some sort of a shake.

On the other hand it is not at all easy to mount certain lanc controllers to work with the multirig. For my Zoe I had to place a piece of hard plastic between the controller and the handle, as the zoom rocker was blocked by the soft cover of the handle, making smooth zooms impossible. I tried not to cut from the cover material, being uncertain whats underneath.
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #30
DV Rig Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos
For my Zoe I had to place a piece of hard plastic between the controller and the handle, as the zoom rocker was blocked by the soft cover of the handle, making smooth zooms impossible. I tried not to cut from the cover material, being uncertain whats underneath.
Yes this is a good solution for the Zoe on a foam handle. Some users are cuting the foam and mounting the Zoe straight on the Aluminum tube.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports