Canon XH A1 Shoulder Support at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old January 21st, 2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon XH A1 Shoulder Support

Does anyone know of a support device that could be used with the XH A1 in such a way as to allow a person to actually use the viewfinder?
Using the fold-out LCD screen is not an option for me at the distances most shoulder braces would position it at. I just can't focus on that thing when it's three or four inches from my face... and I need the handheld support and "both-eyes open" feel of using a cupped eye piece (too many years working news don't ya know).
Most of the affordable devices that I've come across after many hours of researching are aligned so that the camera is positioned to the right of your head (to accommodate camera left side-mounted viewfinders of course.) But for my old eyes that dog just ain't gonna hunt.

Canon has their expensive neck-strap support system (and there are a few others) which would probably work... but I can't imagine what kind of stress and eventual pain the neck strap and a fully decked out camera might inflict.
And then there are one or two products that almost appear (by way of pics on their websites) to be the answer (http://www.studio1productions.com/dvbrace.htm for example) but I'm not sure and can't find enough posted experiences to make a good choice.

Aaargh! I swear if I don't find something soon I'm going to try and make a shoulder mount myself. :-)
Any ideas, guys? Any experiences to share?
L. Kirk Kauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

get the spider brace. that's flexible enough to use under lots of circumstances. With my A1, I use the cheaper ($80-ish) shoulder mount found at B and H (DV shoulder rig pro 800 something or other). I've modified it a bit, but it works well with the bulky A1.
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #3
Major Player

I've ordered one by cavision for £145. very basic, one hand grip thing.I wasn't overly impressed but that's what Production Gear sell with the camera. I'd be interested to see what other people are using since it's not too late to modify my order. I assume the two hand grip ones are useless if you're focussing. None of these things are going to be perfect, since the cameras are not shoulder cameras. I had the HVX in my hand the other day and can confirm the Canon is a lot more user friendly. The Panasonic made my wrist ache within seconds.
I"ve also had the JVC on my shoulder: felt like part of my body. Thats the one to get if its a major factor in your work. Dave, doesn't the Spider brace go off balance when you reach to focus?
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Trustee

Dom, this is more expensive than teh SpiderBrace, but I swear by it.

http://www.dvmultirig.com/

I mount my LANC remote on the left handle, and can focus, zoom etc. with no problem. As well as being able to shoot in shulder mode (which I never do much anymore), handheld, fig rig, or most highly recommended, (2 section) support mode in either handheld or fig rig mode.

The unit folds up into many configurations, and when done stays attached to your camera (folds up compactly) and then the eintire rig can be placed into any camera bag.

I shoot support handheld (arms down) or fig rig (arms up) all the time because it's more stable for me than shooting with shoulder support.
Also, all of this is done all day long (8-10 hours) fatigue free.
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for pointing it out though michael, It does look like a handy bit of kit.
Cheers
Dom
Old February 12th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #6
Trustee

How about this new product from Frezzi. Frezzi Stable Cam.

http://frezzi.com/mini-hd_dv_camera_support.htm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #7
Major Player

WOW very space age. Is it made by NASA?
I need to find out what the tax situation is if we buy stuff through B+h. As you may know this country robs its citizen blind and its so frustrating to see the prices you guys pay. My A1 should be coming this week but i may take off the shoulder brace i have on my current wishlist before i've had the camera in my hands for a few days. Looks like there's some intereting stuff on the market i need to try out before i commit myself.
As far as the other issue is concerned it is sad indeed, and yes i'm expecting to wait a very long time. Just think of all the avocados i'm missing out on!
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #8
DV Rig Pro

Chris pls. remove this thread

Last edited by Danny Natovich; February 13th, 2007 at 02:13 AM.
Danny Natovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Natovich
keep politics out of this forum.
In compliance with our very strict rule about keeping politics out of this community, I have removed the offending statement. In the future, please use the "report bad post" button (found at the bottom left of every post) so that the forum moderators can respond to it quickly. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #10
Major Player

With regard to a comment i made on this thread last night I wholeheartedly and unreservedly apologise to anyone who took offence. The comment had no place in this community and was rightly removed by Chris. I realise that the airing of views, re personal/political consumer boycotting has no place on these pages and will be more sensitive in future. We come to this site to share a love of filmaking and i regret raising issues some may see as divisive or discriminatory. Heartfelt apologies to anyone who took exception to the post. It will not happen again.
Peace
Dom

Last edited by Dom Stevenson; February 13th, 2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Dom, the two hand grip style works fine, but you have to have a good LANC zoom rocker with focus controls. That you way you never have to move your hands.
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #12
Major Player

Ah, "the lanc zoom rocker with focus" option. Last time i looked they cost 3 times as much as the hand grips. I pick up my camera on Saturday hopefully. Think i'll have a play for a few days before i decide which way to go.
Thanks Dave.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:18 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Frezzi Stable Cam

I found Frezzi on B&H site and was very impressed by it.
However, it seems that the rig comes with battery mounts and none of them are appropriate for Canon XH-A1. Is this true? Did anybody try this rig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports