DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   Multirig Pro or DvRigPro for Canon A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/90900-multirig-pro-dvrigpro-canon-a1.html)

Hernan Vilchez April 6th, 2007 05:27 PM

Multirig Pro or DvRigPro for Canon A1

Multirig Pro or DvRigPro for Canon A1 with Canon wd converter? Alltogether (plus the BP970 battery) the camera weights quite a lot.

And i like the "shock absorbing support pod" of the DVrigPro. Does the Multirig also have it?

Thanks

Bruce S. Yarock April 7th, 2007 12:58 AM

Mutirig pro...more versatile. I use on with my loaded Canon XLH1.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com

Steve Madsen April 28th, 2007 02:52 AM

Bruce, I'm considering the Multirig pro for a Brevis mounted HVX setup. Total weight 9lb and centre balanced (on rails). The DVRig HD Pro is designed for this setup, but the versatility of the Multirig has me interested. Do you think the the Multirig could handle such an application? How about the stabiliser plus config (out in front)? If you feel your opinion unqualified I'm still interested to hear you thoughts. Thanks.

Bruce S. Yarock April 28th, 2007 04:18 AM

Steve,
When I use it with my XLH1, I basically use the spring loaded podand move the handles out of the way.The pod supports the camera, and i keep both of my hands on the camera, not the handles. I keep the H1 in shoulder mount with my eye to the eyepiece.
With a lighter camera, the other positions are possible, but with the weight and size of my loaded H1, I only use the one position.I'm sure some people use the same cam in other positions, but I like having my hands on the camera itself. If I had to stand in one position, on the other hand,then I might want to use the stabilizer plus set up using the lcd instead of the eye view finder.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Doug Bennett April 28th, 2007 10:04 AM

Bruce that multirig is certainly a slick looking unit. A lot of thought went in to that design. When using with XL series you are basically ignoring all three of the extension handles and just using the support stick. Is that right? Or do you have one of the handles over your shoulder? I'm sold on DVTEC but can't decide on which unit. I use XL series mostly but also some of the smaller cams. would love to have a rig that supports both styles of camera. The DVrig XL looks like it places the shoulder support too far behind the camera for my style, but I do like the way the pod supports the camera further forward than the tripod connect location. Any comments?

Bruce S. Yarock April 28th, 2007 10:31 AM

" When using with XL series you are basically ignoring all three of the extension handles and just using the support stick. Is that right? "

Yes. That's the only way I use it.

"Or do you have one of the handles over your shoulder? " No.

"I'm sold on DVTEC but can't decide on which unit. I use XL series mostly but also some of the smaller cams. would love to have a rig that supports both styles of camera"

The multirig would be more versatile with a smaller rig. I also have a SonyFX1. and have been able to use it briefly in stabilizer plus.

"The DVrig XL looks like it places the shoulder support too far behind the camera for my style, but I do like the way the pod supports the camera further forward than the tripod connect location. Any comments? "

I use a manfrotto plate and leave it on the Multi. That way I can slide the H1 forward or backwards for balancing.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Bruce S. Yarock April 28th, 2007 10:34 AM

I don't leave the multirig permanently attached to the camera. If I want to use the tripod, I slide the camera off of the MR and on to the tripod. I have the same manfrotto set up on two tripods and a monopod. And each camera has the matching plate that slides in the manfrotto (I think it's the #577).
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Doug Bennett April 28th, 2007 11:18 AM

so basically with the xl style cams you aren't really using the multirig just the support stick, So the JR model would be just as good?

Bruce S. Yarock April 28th, 2007 03:00 PM

I don't know that model. You could use the handels, but I feel more secure with my hands on the camera.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com

Doug Bennett April 28th, 2007 03:27 PM

no I have not seen the JR either. Basically it is just the stick and belt, which I guess is really all you are using

Steve Madsen May 24th, 2007 05:27 AM

Great info Bruce.

I shot a 5 hour concert with the stock HVX on the MR Pro with no problems, and today had the Brevis/HVX setup on the rig too. The adjustability of the MR Pro is a huge plus.

I wonder if there's a cam or cam/35mm adapter setup that this baby couldn't handle.

Ian Lim May 24th, 2007 11:40 AM

Steve, would you mind to share your 'Brevis/HVX setup on the rig' pictures? Thanks in advance

Steve Madsen May 27th, 2007 05:55 AM

Will do Ian...end of week I'll have the time.

Steve Madsen May 31st, 2007 03:33 AM

Here's a couple of photos and a clip from my quick shoot this afternoon.

www.conceptsmith.com.au/bmr1.jpg

www.conceptsmith.com.au/bmr2.jpg

www.conceptsmith.com.au/bmr3.jpg

www.conceptsmith.com.au/bmr.wmv

I tried to be clever and switch focus midshot - certainly doable without a follow focus unit but very hard to be precise and hard to keep the camera steady (it's a long reach to the front of the cam). This was my 1st shoot with this setup so I'm sure I'll improve. In future, at very the least I'll remember which way to turn the focus ring :)

Ian Lim May 31st, 2007 09:21 AM

Wow, thanks Steve! Yes I second that setup would be better with a follow focus. Is your setup well balanced (looks like it's front-heavy)? I'm going to post my pics soon after I get the Canon HV20, currently out of stock in my country:( Btw, nice setup!