Valentine clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 11th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Valentine clip

This is from a high-end wedding. Any thoughts welcome.
www.stylecinematic.com/files/video/kim.wmv

Last edited by Tom Sessions; February 11th, 2008 at 03:21 AM. Reason: added link
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Major Player

I thought this was overall quite poor!

You can tell me you were expecting comments from someone better etc, but this is poor to me.

The first 1.20 sec were quite uncomfortable to get through with closeups of some very uncomfortable looking guests having a camera shoved in their face. I actually hated this.

The second part was filled with amateur zooms, and similar shots, without much variation which became tedious, and again the composition, framing was out.

Hate me all you want.......I did not like it.

John De Rienzo
John De Rienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Major Player

I agree with John. The uncomfortable guests and shaky camera in the beginning did not appeal to me, and the bride and groom in black and white did not appeal to me. I feel a segment of black and white is ok, however the entire cake shot with the couple was B&W. you have a camera that shoots in color, why not use it?.
strictly my opinions.
Hopefully your customer was aware of the style of work you do, and they are very happy with the finished work.
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi John,

Actually, I couldn't agree with you guys more. I've been trying to tell my partner that this isn't going to fly. He insists this is outstanding work and only the sophisticated bride and grooms will appreciate it.

I DON'T THINK SO!!!!

Anyone else who wants to chime in, please do so. The more opinions, the more I have a chance of convincing him he is full of it.

Just don't load up on false opinions just to help me convince him...if you actually like this stuff, well, go ahead and state your case.
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Tom, if your partner can sell his style, and have happy customers, he is right. if his style is so contradictory to your own, why did you choose him for a partner? I would not hire him to do a wedding for me, that does not mean no one will.
I see lots of box office hits that I feel are lousy movies. you can ask opinions of your partners styles, but in the end, what difference does it make? will he change his style? or do you need to discuss an alternative package, using your style? or maybe consider a new partner? hopefully you will see this as constructive. Good luck!!
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Allen,

I hired him to head up another "division" of wedding videography.
He has been at it for about 21/2 years and has only produced 2 gigs. The first one was basically at half price to get started. I keep pouring cash into that black hole for very little return.

If you want to see clips from that other part of my company, go to:
www.stylecinematic.com

I have been telling him there isn't a market for that here in Houston. I'm about ready to pull the plug on it.
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sessions View Post
Hi Allen,

I hired him to head up another "division" of wedding videography.
He has been at it for about 21/2 years and has only produced 2 gigs. The first one was basically at half price to get started. I keep pouring cash into that black hole for very little return.

If you want to see clips from that other part of my company, go to:
www.stylecinematic.com

I have been telling him there isn't a market for that here in Houston. I'm about ready to pull the plug on it.
ouch! I see your dilemma. I am getting married myself in May. my fiancee has a masters degree in psychology, and comes from a well to do family. when I discussed our wedding video, her only comment was "I don't care, but if they shove a camera in anyones face I will throw them out".
good luck with everything.
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #8
Trustee

"...only the sophisticated bride and grooms will appreciate it."

It is a luxurious fabric that is enchanted with a special magic that makes it invisible to fools.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
"...only the sophisticated bride and grooms will appreciate it."

It is a luxurious fabric that is enchanted with a special magic that makes it invisible to fools.
LOL!

Tom, please don't take this personally, and I apologize in advance if I've misunderstood something here, but this is the second time (this week alone!) that I've seen you blame someone else for a substandard product. If you or your customers are not satisfied with the end product, you need to look elsewhere for quality employees. It's your company, you need to take the reigns and tell these people to shape up or ship out.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work