XL1-s Montage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 13th, 2003, 03:49 AM   #16
Major Player

How are you guys using WM9, is it by using the WM9 Encoder or do you encode straight from your NLE. I want to do it straight from premiere but can't seem to figure out how. Any ideas? What do I need to install?

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 04:19 AM   #17
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The big difference I think is whether the viewer can't or won't view the film. I can't think of a situation where anyone...PC or Mac...can't view a Quicktime file by simply downloading the most recent update of the free player. If they choose not to, then "won't" is the reason. But in the case of Windows Media 9, Mac OSX users simply "can't" download anything to view it. True...the percentage of Mac users is tiny compared to PCs...but I think you'd be surprised how large a number of people that tiny percentage translates to. Also, Mac users tend to be more media hungry users...whereas the percentage of PC users includes quite a few users that use them for business purposes only and don't care about media capabilities.

Sure...Windows Media 9 is good as is Quicktime. Which is better is subject to debate. And either way, both are excellent so any debate is splitting hairs. What isn't subject to debate is the fact that one excludes viewers while the other doesn't.

Anyway...I'd be very grateful if you'd also offer a Quicktime version, if at all possible. Or at least a fallback version of the Windows Media version that doesn't require 9.
Old August 13th, 2003, 05:33 AM   #18
Regular Crew

wmv settings

I used a bitrate of around 500kb -- you should see the clip at 5000kb! I resized the clip in half, and also deinterlaced for playback on computer. That's about it, really.
Brandt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 10:51 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I made a quicktime file to post--but it ended up being 133mb--and I don't have any bandwidth left for the month--though I'm thinking of getting a site to stream with. Also, the quality of the 133mb quicktime file pales in comparison to the 12mb windows media player 9 series, if you can believe that. I'm sure I could get it to look better--as the movie trailers at quictime.com look fantastic--just don't know how--though I choosing the best quality switches on the quicktime export.

<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke : The big difference I think is whether the viewer can't or won't view the film. I can't think of a situation where anyone...PC or Mac...can't view a Quicktime file by simply downloading the most recent update of the free player. If they choose not to, then "won't" is the reason. But in the case of Windows Media 9, Mac OSX users simply "can't" download anything to view it. True...the percentage of Mac users is tiny compared to PCs...but I think you'd be surprised how large a number of people that tiny percentage translates to. Also, Mac users tend to be more media hungry users...whereas the percentage of PC users includes quite a few users that use them for business purposes only and don't care about media capabilities.

Sure...Windows Media 9 is good as is Quicktime. Which is better is subject to debate. And either way, both are excellent so any debate is splitting hairs. What isn't subject to debate is the fact that one excludes viewers while the other doesn't.

Anyway...I'd be very grateful if you'd also offer a Quicktime version, if at all possible. Or at least a fallback version of the Windows Media version that doesn't require 9. -->>>
Brandt Ryan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work