Our new short: "on the FLOP" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 13th, 2003, 10:35 AM   #16
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback...

Yow Cheong Hoe - I'm glad to hear that the DV852 is still a big player in the 1 chip pool. However, I paid $999 for the cam and now I could have bought a DV953 3 chip cam for about that same price....argh. Well, I had a sony vx2000 at my disposal from the school but I don't feel comfortable with that camera yet and without a good light setup, the advantages I think would be minimal in terms of picture quality in such a dark underlit setting, also the school doesn't have any extra lenses for it so I'd be stuck with the stock lense and no wide angle fun ;) . As for the Jeep, I'm not sure what I can do. It's headlights were off in the shot, that was merely the headlights from the Van reflecting off of it as the two ski mask guys drove up. The van never turns its headlights off and if we had them turn off their lights, then the next shot would be entirely too dark because a great deal of that lighting was from the van headlights. I might have to just attach a notice whenever I post this short from now on :)

Lin Tao-ming - once we have the next part of the short completed, I'm going to tweak the segway between the two parts a bit and change the song as obviously my worries came true that people would identify too much with the golden brown song.

Joe Carney - hehe, I wondered why no one was questioning why those boxes were there. Well, I'll go ahead and spoil a trick we pulled. The first set of boxes is different from the second set that you see. It turned out that the van and the door where the ski mask guys were coming in and out of was so far away from the boxes that we couldn't have a CU shot of Adam and have the ski masks guys in the background where you could see them. So, after the initial box shot, the following ones, we scooted the right portion of the boxes up 10 or 15 feet so you can see what's going on in the background. I always thought the boxes were a stretch to begin with but you're the first person to mention them and it allowed us to pull some movie trickery.

Thanks everyone, any and all feedback is much appreciated!
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 01:19 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Bryan,

I thought it was great. It was cool seeing Raleigh in the background. I thought the music and tone were dead on (never seen Snatch). The only things that caught my attention out of the ordinary were when the main char walks into the hallway - he doesn't seem scared, more like curious, until the masked men come back in and he runs. But you said there may be a reason for that. There's also a glowing red dot top left frame just after the fade to white at the end, not sure if that's an artifact, there on purpose, the beginning of part 2?

Also, even before reading these posts when I saw the Jeep's headlights illuminated I thought it was just a reflection from the van's. They didn't look saturated enough (for lack of a better description) to actually be on, so I wouldn't worry too much about that notice ;)

Can't wait to see the rest. Nice work.
Sean R Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2003, 07:34 PM   #18
Major Player

Sean - thanks for the feedback! I'm glad someone finally saw that the headlights weren't on when the van was pulling up. I mean, there are a few continuity errors that no one has even mentioned yet that are slight, but I wouldn't mess up something that bad, like having his lights randomly turned on :D . In reference to the main character being more curious than scared when he first enters the building: that was because he was more curious. He believed that the two ski mask guys had left so he was curious to see if there might be a dead body in the hall way, or in a storage unit or what had happened... About the glowing red dot, well that was initially a mess up but after I saw it, it looked to me as if a light bulb had burned out or something so I just left it in for the hell of it. Today though, I cut it out, out of boredom I think. Cool to see someone from Raleigh Town around the boards, hit me up on email sometime if you have any projects that you need help on! -Bryan.
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work