"Being Me" Short Doc. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 26th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #1
Major Player

"Being Me" Short Doc.

Video with info and pictures:
Simple Thought Productions - “Being Me”

Direct Video link:
"Being Me" Direct Video

Just wanted to share. Feedback is highly welcomed and appriciated. It was the first time we tried something more serious for fun. We shot this for Campus Movie Fest and won best drama (no doc. catagory so they fit it there...)

-Josh
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Bump.

Any comments? I personally am more interested in any feed back on the technical side of things. The shots were very simple, once setup we let it run but in terms of frame composition, editing the two people together, lighting etc.

On a side note, the source footage looked great on my HDTV and screen. For this I was forced to use final cut. What was odd when I exported the footage as a .mov without compression it suddenly got a LOT of noise in the blacks. In a rush to finish things I dropped the contrast to fix the problem.
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #3
Wrangler

Hey Josh,

You’re looking for technical feedback, but I’ve gotta tell you that the content is what grabbed and held my attention. Your subjects were likable and real--very compelling in their storytelling and attitudes.

As for the lighting, there sure wasn’t anything wrong with it. I assume you were looking for realism in all aspects, and that is what I think you achieved with the lighting.

Well done; congratulations on the awards!
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Well that is a good thing then,

Technically what is the point of all this stuff without a good story :) This was the first time I really tried to do an "interview" and 3 point lighting so I tried to give it something that looked familiar. Glad it held your attention :) Thank you.
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #5
Major Player

As a human being I was drawn in to your piece and the story never let me go. I did struggle a little with the long text and was trying to wrap my mind around it... but then VERY quickly I understood once the images of your people started to appear. The story was intriguing to say the least. It tugged at my heart, engaged my brain and all I can say was, at the end... I sat here a minute.... and said... what a terrific (and inspirational) piece.

Technically - my comments...Your idea of having them facing each other as you moved back and forth was good. The black background was a great idea.... it drew ALL the focus on the PEOPLE. your lighting was better than just adequate - it worked well with the piece. Now, and this may "sound" funny... but I have to tell you that your voice (sound) capture was wonderful. Full, rich and "right there". Intimate and close. The entire thing was terific and, the audio was absolutely first rate. Bravo on it all.

No wonder it won. Nicely done Josh!

Chris

ps. Initially I though to myself "soft lighting would be better", but mid way through I retreated from that idea, thinking... "NO, this story and THESE characters are best portrayed using hard light". You managed that beast well too.

Last edited by Chris Swanberg; March 4th, 2009 at 10:50 PM.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Wow. Thank you!

I am glad it was able to hold your attention and was able to get you thinking.

I find it odd that when I work on something I can often over look what is working and only focus on what I feel isn't working. When showing it to people I am taking mental notes, "cut that 1 sec sooner, there was a pop sound take that out" etc. That is why I appreciate feed back as it usually gives a totally different perspective from what I have, even if its negative! In your case it was a shining review that leaves me a little awe struck and humbled so thank you.

I will probably post back on how it fairs at the regional level of the competition at the end of this month!

Thanks again for taking your time to watch.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work