New website up with our shorts and trailers! Check it. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old December 15th, 2003, 02:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New website up with our shorts and trailers! Check it.

Myself, and my fellow DVinfo'er Devin Doyle have finally gotten our site off the ground. You can find us online at:
www.par-t-com.net

There you can find some shorts we made last year, and a trailer for the short that is currently in post-production.

To give you some background info., Devin and I are both sophomore Video Production students in the college of Telecommunications (Tcom) at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. We haven't really had a single class requiring the use of a camera yet, and are currently just sorta doin' our own thing with independent studies. We're operating on the collegiate budget and loving it, just as a lot of people here on DVinfo are.

Please post any and all comments, positive and negative, on both the media presented and the design of the site itself. Thanks much, and hope you all enjoy your stay at par-t-com.net!

Spencer Houck,
Devin Doyle
Old December 15th, 2003, 03:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Just took a look at your site. I like the design. It's simple and gets to the point without a lot of unecessary bells and whistles. Took a look at the trailer for 10:17. Nice work. I thought the music set the mood well and the opening shot was really nice.
Steve Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Spencer & Devin,

Your shorts were very entertaining. I liked the concept of both of them. The trailer was also good. It made me interested in the film. Also, I liked the remote control on the website. I didn't check all the links, but that was pretty imaginative. Nicely done!

Just out of curiousity, what equipment do you currently use?
Old December 15th, 2003, 10:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Dan - Thanks for checking out the site. We currently use just about everything you see on the page about our equipment. 10:17 (our latest short) was shot on Spencer's VX-2K, primarily with a canon wd-58h adapter. We used just about all our support systems: tripod, dolly, jib, and a bit of steadicam. 10:17 is our first attempt at something serious and more professional. It's only now that we've had the ability to pull together all the resources to make something of that quality: lightkits, audio (via shotgun mic), smooth camera movement - all these things were important in attaining a more professional feel. I'm glad the trailer stirred some interest, it succeeded in its purpose.

Steve - Thanks to you as well for taking a glance at the site. Spencer is the web master for the site, and I agree, it's to the point - but not too minimalistic. Claps to Spence! Thanks for your comments as well!

10:17 will be posted in its entirety around the end of December. I'm sure we'll make another post in DV for the masses at that point in time.
Old December 16th, 2003, 02:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Nice website and great trailer (mood, photography, tension... it all seems to fit). When are we able to view 10:17 in it's full version?
Mr Boombastic is a funny short, I've mailed it to the sound/boom guy I have worked with recently!

Peter Sieben
Old December 16th, 2003, 03:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Peter, and everyone, thanks for your gracious comments.

To answer your question, we're currently on winter break from Ohio University, and Devin and I are quite a ways apart, he's in North Carolina, and I'm in North East Ohio. Nearing the end of December, Devin is coming up to Ohio to try to finish off the post-pro of 10:17 prior to, or just after the new year. We hope to have the final version up by at least the first or second week of the new year.

Thanks again,
Spencer Houck
Old December 16th, 2003, 11:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Loved all of your stuff. Kept me intrested as they were pretty clever and of course well done. Just ROFL with the whole boomtastic concept.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 01:32 AM   #8
Regular Crew

lol... I love your matrix bullit time shots. Very effective
Ozan Biron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 09:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Heres my getto bullet time effect! Very cheesy... lol

www.illconcepts.com/bullettime.mov
Ozan Biron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 01:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Wow, Ozan, it looks as though you actually used multiple still cameras? Very cool.

We went the (cheaper) route of making our actor sit for a long time while we moved our single camera around him.(they love that) It looks like yours could benefit from the help of an interpolation program, be it some sort of stand-alone morphing program, or the Twixtor plug-in for After Effects. It'd help fill in those frame gaps that make it feel choppy.

Cool stuff, and I'm glad you liked ours!

Anyone else have comments?

Thanks,
Spencer Houck
Old December 23rd, 2003, 01:49 AM   #11
Old Boot

Copyright Issues?

Spencer Great Site! Very well done indeed.

Tell me have you considered the copyright issues with the music you've chosen? - Just a thought . . ..

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 10:05 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Graham, copyright issues have always been a big concern to us. Under the fair use agreement (i think that's the correct title) we're trying to squeak by until we can get a composer to work with us. We're actually in the process of finding someone to score our latest film: "10:17".

What happened in this case is that we found music that fit the mood/story better than we ever could have imagined (Edward Shearmur's score for K-PAX), and therefore edited the film with that music. That copy will never see any contests or result in monetary gain for Spence and I. However, the version scored by a composer (with original music) will be submitted to contests and may, with a little luck, result in some cash.

So in a nutshell - we are using copyright music, but it's not making us money, and isn't being distributed in hard copy form on a huge scale. We're hoping that's enough until we can hire Hans Zimmer to score our latest!
Old December 27th, 2003, 05:20 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Wow

I'm new to this forum and only started looking around the DV for the masses in the last day or so, when I decided to take a look at your site and downloaded the trailer for 10:17, Wow i love the site but more importantly I loved the trailer, if the final feature lives up to the quality of the trailer you guys will be on a winner.

I asked my 17 year old daughter to have a look at a trailer for a new movie comming out and after viewing it she thought it was a commercial release until I told her wher it came from, she was also blown away.

So go to it people and produce a masterpiece.

Well done.

Regards, Cliff Elliott
Cliff Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 09:21 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Cliff, thanks so much for your praise! It's comments like these from our peers that really motivate us to go the extra mile and produce something to the utmost of our ability. It's nice to know that others who share our passion for film-making can appreciate the effort!

I'm blown away by the fact that your daughter thought it was a commercial release, that in itself is a huge pat on the back - we must be doing something right! Spencer and I are very near to the completion of the film. It will be posted in its entirety to our site and another post will be made in DV for the masses pointing to the hyperlink. ETA: early to mid January.

We're interested in seeing what others will think of it. The trailer is quite vague, but once you see the film all the pieces will fit together. Just to give you a hint: our protagonist suffers from anxiety attacks. Anyways, thanks again for taking the time to check out our work, Spencer and I greatly appreciate your input!
Old December 27th, 2003, 10:56 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I just saw the trailer for 10:17, and I really liked it... Great music, great cinematography and well edited... I am looking forward to seeing the finished film... Very professional...
Christian Hede Madsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work