10:17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 25th, 2004, 11:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

10:17

Spencer Houck and I have been busy producing our short film, "10:17," for the past 6 months. You may remember when we posted our trailer here several months ago. Anyways, the film is finally complete and has been uploaded to the media page on our website here:

http://www.par-t-com.net/media.html

It can be found under the "10:17" sub-page. Beware, it's 35mb, but we think that's pretty good considering that it's 15 minutes long. "10:17" requires QT6.

"10:17" is an independent study that we did at Ohio University. It's a student project that Spencer and I took on, and were able to pull off with the help of some friends and a great actor (thanks Kyle!). We shot it entirely on Spencer's VX-2000, edited on Adobe Premiere and After Effects. Because it was an independent study we couldn't get much of anything from the school; save an omni-kit.

Anyways, enough hot air. I hope you all enjoy the film, and we're anxious to hear any and all feedback. Thanks!
Old January 26th, 2004, 11:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Devin, this is great. The shots are very cinematic and the music matches perfectly. This is one of the few short I have seen where acting is also well done. Good job, you got my vote.
Rafal Krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 11:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Rafal,

Thanks! Yeah, as Devin said, we couldn't have done it without Kyle, our actor. This is the first project we've been a part of where we were able to secure real acting students. Wow what a difference it makes in comparison to inviting your friends to be on screen! (no offense to our friends)

Thanks again for the kind words,
Spencer Houck
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #4
Major Player

This morning when I was eating my breakfast while listening to the radio, I heard this nice ballad song you also can hear in the great movie Donnie Darko (sorry as I think it's a classical song I can't recall right now). Afterwards I checked my email and a couple of websites before going to work and saw your message about 10:17 being online. The mood of the song mentioned above and recalling Donnie Darko, got me in the right mood to watch your movie before going to work.

I really liked 10:17. Very inspirational and professional work. Good photography and camera movements, great acting, beautiful music, a story that reveals itself slowely.
Some minor remarks that I can think of are the usage of some close up shots that do not always add really something and the dancemusic in part of the conversation with the doctor (it's a bit distracting, although it fits the flashback part next to it very well).

Peter Sieben
Old January 27th, 2004, 05:03 AM   #5
Major Player

How did u do the music,

is it MIDI , or real samples multitracked?

If it is MIDI what pgogram did you use, does it require hardware to get the sound achived in the film.
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Peter - Thanks for your kind remarks!

Ben - Because this was a project for school, we used a lot of music from Edward Shearmur's score for "K-PAX" for the sake of time. We may try to find a music composition major to score our film at some point.
Old January 27th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Wow, great film.

I really liked the camera-movements, very nice.

Keep up the good work...
Christian Hede Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 02:28 PM   #8
Major Player

A+! I hope this is what you got on the project.

Excellent peice of work. Good music, flows nicely, tells a story with motion pictures, is very believable. I wish my students were half as creative.

Did I notice a continuity problem when he leaves the health center -- no stereo? Minor thing.

Also, I thought the last line was a little too predictable.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 01:44 AM   #9
Major Player

Gonna type as I watch....

Nice intro (the par-t-com id). I love your opening credits too, they look nice and professional. I love how the editor's title moves behind objects! My only gripe (and this is a damn small one) is that the question mark on the first credit moves too fast!

You do a nice job of keeping the camera smooth at all times.. there aren't any "DV-giveaway" shaky shots. Really nice colours, too. What did you use for your dolly?

I love that dolly shot across the lecture hall!

The overall pacing is really good. I like the doctor's office sequence, it's a creative way of turning something that might drag on into an interesting montage.

Very nicely done! It's always inspiring seeing DV look and feel that good.
Old January 28th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for your feedback,

Couple of answers/replies:

Alex Taylor:
We built a skateboard dolly from the plans over at http://www.shadowgirlproject.com/dolly01.asp, it's in French, so you'll have to do some auto translating through babelfish.

I'm glad you noticed the work that we put into the opening credits and the leap of faith we made doing a montage. The montage seems to be the most controversial part of the piece.

Peter Wiley:

Thanks, unfortunitally the independent study is pass/fail, but I'd hope we'd get the A+ if we could!

To answer your question, there is a minor continuity error in the shot you mentioned, don't wanna call too much attention as to throw off too many future viewers! ; )

Christian:

Camera movement was the name of the game for us in 10:17. I spent a lot of time building different supports, such as an 8 foot jib, a skateboard dolly, and even a homebuilt steadi-cam from the help of www.homebuiltstabilizers.com(unfortunitally not many steadicam shots made it to the final cut). I also purchased a quality Bogen tripod with a 501 fluid head that helped greatly in the filmic quality of smooth pans and tilts.

Everyone Else:

Keep your feedback coming!

Thanks,
Spencer Houck
Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:20 AM   #11
Regular Crew

For easier access: here's a direct link to the feature sub-page for "10:17," our newest short film.

http://www.par-t-com.net/1017_feature.html

Any and all feedback is appreciated!
Old February 14th, 2004, 06:11 AM   #12
Regular Crew

A++ :)

WOW! Great short Devin...I'm a big fan of Donnie Darko and i can feel the influence...Good story, camera work and music...I make music solo and also with my band...Let me know if you have any upcoming projects..I would be happy to collabrate...Good luck!
Aykut Ozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Awesome movie dude liked it a lot.

can I post this link on another board??
Kyle Kauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hey Kyle and Aykut,

Thanks a ton for your comments, we're happy to see more people are seeing and enjoying the 10:17 experience. Kyle, you can always link others to par-t-com.net to your heart's content!

Thanks again,
Spence and Dev
Old February 20th, 2004, 08:29 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Saw the whole movie it is good.

As for what it means to me my husband suffers from Panic Attacks he is getting better yet this has gone on for years the thought for him that it starts with him comes through with your film.

Thank you
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work