Sky time lapse at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 8th, 2004, 10:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sky time lapse

http://skytimelapse.com

I made this time lapse on a shoestring budget.
Any thoughts?
Tom Kronberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 03:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

some of the initial shots seem pretty blown out on the sky/clouds. and in the full trailer, a lot of the cuts are kindof dizzying they are so jumpy.. that said, however, the imagery is breathtaking.. especially the last 1/3 of the trailer, has a lot of really powerful stuff.

what did you shoot this with?

i'm about to start work on trying to put together a 10minute HDfilm of timelapse "life" in vegas.. city streets, sunrise, sunset, sky, trees, bugs on sidewalk, etc.. i'm not quite sure how long it's going to take me do in my sparetime though, heh.. perhaps a longtime.
Adam Burtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 04:25 AM   #3
Wrangler

I've made similar time lapse skies using a Canon S110 PowerShot. It involves holding down the shutter trigger for eight or so minutes at a time, until the CF card is all filled up with images. (This can get tiring, especially in high winds!) With one of the newer PowerShots this would easily yield HD res footage.

This old sky of mine could stand to be run through a video filter to reduce flicker.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 04:36 PM   #4
Major Player

great stuff.. some more info would be appretiated.
Old February 9th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Many thanks!
BTW, the time lapse I shot was in digital video. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.
(edit: found the solutions to stills)
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

More info:

I've been doing this pretty seriously a few years now, entirely for the love of it (it's rarely fun). it's a blend of landscape photography and meteorology. Driving is what takes the most time. Weather hardly ever comes to me. I probably drove over 3000 miles to get this stuff, as good weather doesn't happen where I live. Only a couple weeks ago I put it on the web.

The thunderstorms are maybe the most challenging to shoot and most rewarding. To get good shots, it takes lots of driving (anxious speeding) and looking for good open vistas. Powerlines, narrow shoulders, trees, buildings, cars, pedestrians, all obstacles, it's terribly difficult without luck and can be terribly unrewarding and wastefully expensive. It's twice as hard to get any good time lapse anywhere near civilization. It's lonesome and frustrating work and the payoffs only come when a really cool scene happens that I'm shooting.

I don't have big ambitions, I'm no filmmaker with some agenda, I just like making time lapse and looking at clouds. I'm just a nature freak.

"i'm about to start work on trying to put together a 10minute HDfilm of timelapse "life" in vegas.. city streets, sunrise, sunset, sky, trees, bugs on sidewalk, etc.. i'm not quite sure how long it's going to take me do in my sparetime though, heh.. perhaps a longtime."
I envy you, my friend!
Time lapse can be very fun when it works. My best friendly advice: scout locations with good views, watch the weather channel, and yes, expect to spend alot of time...
It took me over three years (off and on) to make those three minutes at my site.

Old February 9th, 2004, 11:22 PM   #7
Wrangler

A lot of time lapse photography benefits from a bit of motion blur. Without it, the footage evinces an unnatural feel of movie footage shot with an extreme amount of light and a very short open shutter time.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 02:04 AM   #8
Major Player

very calming footage and music.

May I suggest a slight motion blur inbetween clips to smooth it all together, also the clips are very short and rapid, maybe making them a second longer would help.

what camera?

You might want to check this one out:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=21073
Old February 10th, 2004, 03:00 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks, I'll try a motion blur... I think I like the speed the way it is though.
Tom Kronberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work