Promotional Film for Panera Bread (EX1+Letus Elite) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:17 PM   #1
New Boot

Promotional Film for Panera Bread (EX1+Letus Elite)

Objective: Help take a franchise of Panera Bread and virally market it on WhereToGetEngaged.com, which is a social networking platform for the wedding and engagement industry.

Panera Bread on Vimeo

This is the promotional film I wrote, shot, and edited for the Blue Ridge franchise of Panera Bread located throughout Virginia. The store we shot at is located in Harrisonburg, Virginia.

Technical Info:
Shot on a Sony PMW-EX1 with a Letus Elite. I used a 28mm 2.8 (Wide), 50mm 1.4 (Primary Lens), 105mm 2.8 Macro, and a 180mm 2.8. Then a Zacuto kit to keep it all together.

All tracking shots were conducted using an Indi-Slider.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.
Josh Gooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Major Player

I always enjoy your work Josh and this is no exception. Nice pacing, good use of depth of field and rack focusing without being overdone and overall a very nice piece.

My only comment would be that the lighting of your narrator had some hot spots and assuming that was a side of his face angled towards towards a window, a diffuser on that side would have more evenly lit the shaded side of the face and eliminated the hot spot.

I was hoping you might post the finished edit of your prior piece on the Italian Resturaunt, I'd enjoy seeing that.

Chris Swanberg
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:28 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
I always enjoy your work Josh and this is no exception. Nice pacing, good use of depth of field and rack focusing without being overdone and overall a very nice piece.

My only comment would be that the lighting of your narrator had some hot spots and assuming that was a side of his face angled towards towards a window, a diffuser on that side would have more evenly lit the shaded side of the face and eliminated the hot spot.

I was hoping you might post the finished edit of your prior piece on the Italian Resturaunt, I'd enjoy seeing that.

Chris Swanberg
Thanks Chris! I really appreciate the feedback. I will definitely consider the diffuser next time. The color grading may have brought out the hotspots a little more than it should have. What type of wattage should I typically use for a fill? I was thinking a 300w would work best, but I am not sure. The space was very limited in Panera and we had to shoot in an active environment, so I am trying to piece together a very small kit.

I would love to show the re-edited Bravo: Bravo Italian Restaurant on Vimeo I actually just replaced the video.

I certainly learned from the feedback I got from that piece and I hope Panera reflects those improvements. Thanks again for giving me feedback!
Josh Gooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Major Player

If you had a key light, consider just using a reflector fill...Or diffusing the fill if you can't one close enough to addd enough light, diffuse the fill ...

Headed to look at the Italian Resturaunt redux.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:21 PM   #5
Major Player

Very nice.

My preference is also for the person talking to have the key coming from the direction they are looking into.

Just my preference.
Matt Gottshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #6
Wrangler

But where was the shot of the cinnamon and sugar crusted bagels??? We don't have Panera here so I get those bagels every time I'm traveling. I watched the whole video just to torture myself. (Hope you can tell I'm kidding...sort of.)

Pretty images and an interesting idea.
Old April 24th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
But where was the shot of the cinnamon and sugar crusted bagels??? We don't have Panera here so I get those bagels every time I'm traveling. I watched the whole video just to torture myself. (Hope you can tell I'm kidding...sort of.)

Pretty images and an interesting idea.
Haha, sorry I did not get any epic bagel shots. We did get to keep all the food they prepared, which was definitely a perk.
Josh Gooden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work