1st Time with my 1st camera & editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

1st Time with my 1st camera & editing

Well, starting this long term learning highway in film video and edit, this is what happen next day after purchase my humble JVC GY HD110. Decided to have a fun morning & shoot my mtb club in a lovely place in mountains near here.

All shoot in 720p/25 1/50 shooter full manual.

First time in my life I carry a camera, edit with FC Express & expose in internet.

Don't be bad guys! Was only my first contact with video world.

Asalto Al Benicadell on Vimeo

Greetings.
Juan Todoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Nicely shot. I enjoyed it. There was a lot of repetition in the scenes, maybe a little more of a mix of vantage points would help, but overall, as for your filming and basic editing, it's a winner. Nice job, and welcome to the site.

Chris Swanberg
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I know Chris, was everything improvised, take the camera & shoot.

Thanks, I'm very well here. That's a great forum with a better people.

Cheers!
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #4
Major Player

That is quite impressive shooting being that it was the first time that you ever picked up a camera! The framing of your shots is spot on. The editing is decent. If I might just give you a couple of suggestion on your editing though? Every single shot was separated by a cross fade which is the tail-tell sign of a novice editor. I would have liked to have seen more hard cuts matched to the music. Speaking of music, try to mix it up a little bit. Music sets the mood of the piece and 8 minutes of the same song makes the video kind of drag on.

Please keep in mind that this is just meant to be constructive criticism. You did an incredible job for your first time with video and you did it right by shooting full manual;) Again, impressive for a first timer! Keep up the good work Juan.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you on your advices Ryan.

Yes, have notice me (veterans) that signal of novice about music & effects repetition.

Thanks again! I'll try to improve!

Juan.
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

way better than most people's first experiences.
Andrew Reyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #7
Major Player

Awesome job for your first time out. If you'd have not said it was your first time, I wouldn't have known. Looked like you'd be doing it for a bit already.

I do agree about the crossfades and maybe tightening up the pacing a little bit, as well as trying different vantage points while shooting. Also, think about overcranking for the slowmo stuff so it's a bit smoother.

Overall, very nice work.
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey thanks a lot! That's make me push to improve.

Just seeking for my "style" getting hours and hours of tests with the cam image menu process. Prooving fps, shutters, pans, etc. And keeping myself avoiding zoom as much as possible.

I'll keep you update of my little film disasters.

Cheers.
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I know it was just a camera test outing. Others have addressed the merits of your shooting.

Some constructive criticism to get you moving along to improving your skills:
Exposure was rough in some places. Framing affects what you are able to expose well with video. So a shot may be cool in your imagination but not so cool due to lighting issues.

The edit lacks story telling. What happened to the 3rd rider? He disappeared and then reappeared at the end. Every story has a beginning, middle and end. Your edit doesn't. it has lots of middle and a little end. Your shooting can help the edit with material for some kind of story. Adapt on scene as you shoot a story that evolves but bring a story home. Editing will make the story stand out. The story you seemed have brought home could have been told in less than 2 minutes.

Your subject was ALWAYS the rider action. I was interested in some of the flowers and vistas. Some shots that featured them and had the bikers as secondary would have been nice. So, next time, think about telling a story and you'll find you have more things to shoot!
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey Les, be rude with this newbie if necesary, don't worry!

Taking note with all your advices, very much apreciated.

About the white dress rider, got a unfortunated crash just coming out the third curve. (Was well fortunately, but not his Santa Cruz Chameleon).

Thank's everyone for commenting some about this poor light film. Resting looong black lines (tapes still) studing, to experiment, improving & well perfoming. Hope to learn with all you and if in my hand is, help if I'm able.

Cheers!
Old June 20th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Well, I've tried to get somthing more elaborate regarding to start to use some effects & typing.

Hope don't displease you.

1st Benicadell Assault (Intro) on Vimeo

Cheers.
Old June 25th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
What happened to the 3rd rider? He disappeared and then reappeared at the end.
In the Part #03: The Bloops & End

Almost recorded the sound of the crash.

And here's been is my 1st "Trilogy"

#01 Intro: http://vimeo.com/5250886

#02 Story, The Downhill: http://vimeo.com/4443136

#03 The Bloops & End: http://vimeo.com/5303423

(I knooooow, booooooooooooring).

Now, ok, just forgot my mtb dudes & start to learn seriously the audiovisual language (beautiful language). But was a funny day anyway!

Next to buy is a Lowel Kit DV to learn manage the light.

Thanks about your advices guys.

Juan.
Juan Todoli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work