My little japanase horror film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 14th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #1
New Boot

My little japanase horror film

Hey guys,

Here is a little horror film/trailer I made for my videography class. It's my final project. Basically, this trailer runs you through the whole movie in 3 minutes. It kinda defeats the purpose of a trailer but I didn't want to waste some of the shots. I plan to do another cut soon. Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.studiorb.com/movies/lucidverison3.wmv
File is 17MB.
Old March 14th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

That was amazing.

One of the best things I have seen on here.

There were VERY noticable similarities with 'The Ring" but Im sure that you are aware of that. It definitely had that "japanese horror film" look.

Some of the acting wasn't perfect, but it didn't take away from what I thought of it at all.

I loved the cinematography and there were SEVERAL shots that I could have swore were film. Amazing quality.

Maybe it just tickled my fancy.

What camera did you use for it? Lenses? Settings? Filters? Post-Editing?

Keep up the good work, I cannot wait to see another edit!
Travis Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Major Player

That was scary as hell.

Of course the whole slow talking parts came across badly acted, ect.

But you really did the scary parts incredibly well. I had it cranked up and jumped everytime something happened.

Incredibly well pulled off.

I don't know how well it would translate into an entire movie - but I would be very open to watching it.

Incredible work!
Old March 15th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #4
New Boot

Hey guys,

Sorry for such a late reply. So today is monday, I turned it in. My teacher saw it, and well. He liked it, he was shock & impress. But aside from that, he says since I did good with it, he now expects more from me. He said I need to establish some of the shots. I won't discuss it with you guys cuz I need to work on it. But I will share the final cut with you guys. But feel free to give some advice..et.c..etc suggestions...

The comment on the acting. Um, well i would say it was alright. I wasn't impress with it. If anything I would rather have the scary stuff be the most dominance of the whole trailer. I think they did well for their first time and with the lack of direction I gave them. This project was a big challenge for me, because I can't direct worth crap. I basically let the camera run and see what happens. We'll do as many takes until it looks kinda right. The photography part of it, that part I feel cofindent in because I control what it looks like.

Travis, thanks man I'm glad u like it. I used the Panasonic DVX100a, with stock lenses, and the settings were factory. Most of the color correction was done in Post. I edited it in Adobe Premeire Pro. I use Magic bullet Editor for some of the shots.

Brandon, I'm glad u dig it bro.
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Your teacher liked it huh? As they should of; this is rockin and well done. First, let me get it out of the way; the acting is horrific as is the Audio of the talent. This severely brings down the quality of the piece.

EVerythign is spot on; the comps, the coloring (Feels like MB?) and the editing is tight. I think this can be cut in half and be even more impacting.

Well done. You have talent.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #6
New Boot

hey john,

sup man. I go by the alias, hiro @ dvxuser.com .. congrats with the contest. Very nice piece of work. Idon't know what's up with dvxuser right now..

anyway, I use white diffusion for the beginning where he's in the field, and most of the conversational shots. WARM .. and bleach for the other conversation. For the other coloring, I use color corrector, and tinted the blacks to green. The acting, well it was one of the main thing my professor wanted me to work on. He totally rip me apart.. oh boy. its all good though!
Old March 15th, 2005, 10:39 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Hiro

I figured it might be a fellow DVX'er. Next time; invest a little more in the talent; you already have proven the technical skills. I look forward to what you do next.

PS

I think DVXUSER is having a DNS/ROUTER issue; not sure. I cant get on from HOME (Cox.net) but I can from my OFFICE (Selectnet).

Weird.

Anyway! Great job!
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 04:24 AM   #8
Major Player

Are you attending some sort of film college or majoring telcom. video at a university?
Old March 16th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #9
Regular Crew

You've got skill that's for sure! But the acting horrified me more then the little girl in the video. Get better actors next time or give them better direction next time I don't know but it really hurt the video for me.

I didn't like the repeating of the same audio either, got old and I even found the trailer to become a little boring.

Also what's so scary about a little girl that crawls around on the ground with her hair over her face? This is just the ring all over again, nothing in the ring was scary. I think the idea of Lucid dreams becoming nightmares is cool but why not try and come up with something a little better then a little girl that clearly just wants to play with someone. ;)

I don't know, good ideas, and like I said you have skill but I think you can do much better.

Cory Cone
Cory Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #10
New Boot

I attend a community college. They've just now offer videography. My professor brings in people who are already in the business to talk to us & answer any questions we might have. It's really cool. The class is made to be practical, we work on concept development and .. then go out & shoot. Then your stuff gets critque. Then the final project will be turn in.
Old March 16th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #11
Major Player

Sounds awesome.

I too attend a community college - count yourself lucky as the only thing remotely in this field that my college offers is basic photography.

Keep us posted with the rest of your work.
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:16 AM   #12
New Boot

verison 4-

http://www.studiorb.com/movies/lucidverison4.wmv

File size is 11.5 MB. This version is 2 minutes long. Its more of a trailer now.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work