Good little money maker at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old April 17th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Good little money maker

Last summer I shot some footage of my summer league swim team. End result was a lot of quality footage of the kids doing some cool stuff and thought it'd make a great gift to parents or grandparents of the kids if it was in a movie. So I put it together, and I got DVD's pressed and printed cases. Got a projector and had a showing at the banquet, and then sold them for 10 bucks a pop. Pulled in about 500-600 bucks when all was said and done! Not bad practice, either.

Here's the DVD cover:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/8690321/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/8690308/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/8690281/

and here's the movie, how's it look?

http://student.uncw.edu/cms5751/Parkwood.WMV
Old April 17th, 2005, 06:08 PM   #2
Major Player

I do this with all of the local highschool sports teams....football, basketball, baseball, wrestling, danceline, ect.

I make a 10-15 minute highlight real perfectly set to different music which is about a 30-40 hour job.

I usually charge a set price to the school of 300-400 or so then sell dvd's for $15 a piece. It works pretty well with me and I love being able to do this creative form of editing.
Old April 24th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Any comments pertaining to the movie and the techniques used?
Old April 24th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Good for both of you. That's thinking!
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 06:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Can you say 'copyright infringement'? I bet Billy Joel's lawyers can spell it clearly, unless you purchased the rights to this background music, in which case I apologize.

Joseph
Joseph Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #6
Major Player

It IS wrong.

But I guess thats just the way it goes - It pretty much makes the entire video. I couldn't imagine using stock music compared to songs that are known and work perfectly with the theme. Not to mention playing "the teams song" that they used to warm up to every game and having it on the video sync'ed to them performing.

There really is nothing in place for the little guy to allow him to use 'real' music on a $500 production. So it happens thousands and thousands of times 'illegaly'. I can't remember ever seeing a highlight video not using copyrighted songs. Its too bad the music industry won't let you buy a $50 license for productions such as this. They seem to rather make the money back by suing infringers.

Oh well...
Just my opinion...
Old April 25th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Oh no, here we go ...

Brandon, you might want to rethink blaring to the world that you're committing copyright infringement on a public Web site. Just a thought.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #8
Major Player

Sorry I helped bring this thread off its original topic....

Also, I never stated that I had committed this type of infringment - just that it happens constantly.

Corey, watched your video and enjoyed it. I agree that these videos are the perfect places to hone(sp?) ones editing skills. Good luck on future work of this nature.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work