Great camera+talented artist=fantastic work! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 29th, 2002, 10:18 AM   #1

Great camera+talented artist=fantastic work!

Okay, boys and girls, gather 'round. While doing some web surfing this morning, I discovered one of our members, here, has a great web site. It gets better--on that site, he has the trailer to a new film he's working on entitled "Shadow." It's by our own John Locke, in Toyko, Japan.

I took a look at the trailer and I think he's done a fantastic job. He has, in my opinion, crushed the nay-sayers by showing what miniDV, in general, and the Canon XL1, in particular, are capable of doing. His videography is as good as anything I have seen anywhere. The images are stunning.

Please go to: http://zchildress.com/ and click on the b&w image of the man looking over his left shoulder to view the movie. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 10:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have to agree

What a great trailer. If I saw it in the theater I would be in line to buy tickets. The music was perfect for the mood and really sets it up like a big screen preview.

Great Job John

How modest not to post the link yourself (actually it was kind of selfish of you since I really enjoyed it)

Don't be so stingy : )
Old October 29th, 2002, 11:15 AM   #3
Major Player

It is a great trailer by Mr. John Locke one of our resident Wranglers. Not only is the trailer well done, but how about that site?!

Again, John ... great job!
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 11:22 AM   #4
Air China Pilot

Great looking site. Everyone take note. I'll remember that background graphic for some time.

The trailer was good with the nice fades. The music chosen was a bit overblown, though.
Old October 30th, 2002, 08:14 AM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jay, Paul, and Keith... I've seen and enjoyed your work...so having the first comments come from you guys is pretty cool. Special thanks to Jay for being the first person to wander into my new site.

Marc...thanks for the nice words! "Really" nice words, actually! Had me beaming after I read them. I hope to see your work sometime in the near future. And by the way...the word isn't "stingy"...it's "CHICKEN" in all capital letters!

Keith, I dropped the DBs down considerably and reuploaded. Hope that makes the sound a bit better. I'm taking a crash course in FCP audio right now...so I'll make improvements as I learn how to do them.

Speaking of poultry...I'll have the actual film ready by this weekend probably...but I'm about 100 times more chicken about posting it than the trailer. I did something a little different in the editing that I like (influenced by "Snatch"), but I'm finding that some of my friends here don't like it. Way too choppy in their opinion. So, knowing that people aren't liking it so far...it's nerve-wracking to post it...but I'll do it anyway to get a consensus. If most don't like it...I'll go back to the cutting board.

Back to FCP I go...
Old October 30th, 2002, 09:02 AM   #6
Major Player

John,
The Joy of indepedent film/movie/motion picture/video production is the freedom you have now that you may never get again. Do things how you like them, not how others dictate, one mans misery is another man's joy.

kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 10:54 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey John

Don't be chicken, I can't wait to see it. Let us know as soon as it's complete!

Can you tell how many views it has had from your website?

This message will bump the topic so more people may see it.
Old October 30th, 2002, 11:06 AM   #8
RED Code Chef

You know me a bit John... so I hope some of this helps.... Post
away! What is a movie if it cannot be shown to others. But I
truly know your anxiety. I was terrified when my parents asked
me to show them some footage for a short that I shot...

Oh and I think you shouldn't redo a movie cause someone else
says so. You should make movies that you like. Ofcourse
there is no harm in learnig what other people say, but use it
on a future project instead of redoing your current/old one.
Otherwise it will never be finished!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 11:55 AM   #9
Major Player

* * WOOOOOOOOOOO * *

John!

Nice going! I am in awe and great support for your endeavors and fellow colleagues.

A clean execution. The site is excellent. A solid experience visiting that world. Rock-On!

Nice and clean subways and platforms. Ah, am I asking too much for the city of New York... I digress...

Cheers!

The Best to You!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2002, 06:54 AM   #10
Major Player

Great Web site. Creates it's own interesting mood and looks very professional indeed. How did you do the animation of the torch (is a torch?) the very victorian girl is holding and do you have a name for her?

The trailer is great too. Builds suspense nicely. The man seems a fairly good actor too.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2002, 09:52 AM   #11

Thanks, Peter.

The animation was made with Flash. It's small and floats over the background picture which is the entire large graphic.

Do I have a name for the lady? Interesting. Hadn't thought of that, actually. Okay then...I'll dub her "Elisabet." Now...take "Elisabet" and "Sursum"...and put those two in Google and see what you come up with (inspiring classical sculptress - I lived across the street from her museum/castle).

I'm glad you like the trailer. The actor's name is Sonny Crawford, a friend of mine who lives in Seoul. He's no stranger to the camera...or the radio, for that matter. He has a really great "radio" voice...I hope we can work together in another role, but one with some dialogue for him.
Old November 5th, 2002, 04:27 PM   #12
Major Player

I just viewed your trailer for SHADOW and enjoyed it very much. Your first movie is MUCH better than mine (though mine isn't completed yet - the music is still being written). I really do like the B/W and thought about making parts of mine in B/W, with color beginning at a certain point. Now that I've seen how good yours looks, I may go back to the editing table with mine and see what I can do.

Congratulations again. I also look forward to seeing WHEN SHE WAKES when it's completed.
Old November 9th, 2002, 01:24 PM   #13

Thanks, Mark. Let us know when yours is posted. I'd like to see it!
Old November 9th, 2002, 01:26 PM   #14

Don't hold any punches...

Okay gang, I've uploaded "Shadow." It's a big download...the MED size is around 75MB and the HI is about 86MB. Didn't bother making a LOW...maybe I should.

Anyway...please check it out and let me know what you think...especially the negative stuff!

Direct URL:
http://sursumfilms.com/shadow/

or through the main site:
http://sursumfilms.com
Old November 9th, 2002, 03:15 PM   #15
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i watched the trailer and was 50-50 on watching the whole movie. as i have a pet pive on trailers that are driven by MUSIC ( not visual) .. if i turn off the sound track ?? just didn't work for me visually ?

well I did watch the whole Short (HI band) ... and am GLAD i did .. i like your style!! very good editing , building suspense, shooting style etc ... my only comment would be perhaps a REST from the music/sound effects (almost silence) somewhere while waiting for subway train ??

i also watched it without the sound track ..and IT STILL WORKED visually = EXCELLENT !!!

KEEP up the GOOD work .. looking forward to your NEXT project.
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work