"Don't Shop, Adopt" Documentary short... opinions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old May 8th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

"Don't Shop, Adopt" Documentary short... opinions?

Hey everyone please check out a promotional piece/documentary I did for a animal shelter in North Branch, NJ. Keep in mind I am a college student, and new to the film world. It was shot in DV with the GL2 and Rode Videomic but now I wish I had my NX5u ant NTG2 to do it with.
Enjoy!!

YouTube - Don't Shop, Adopt Documentary on Puppy Mills (Filmed at St. Huberts in North Branch, NJ)
Nick Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Nick,

Great doc! And not bad production skills for being new to film. You may want to try cleaning up the audio a little by removing some of the noise if you can (less distracting to the viewer that way). But the message of this film is by far the most important element, and I think you managed to capture it good. Job well done!
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks! Well saying "new to film" was somewhat of a lie... I'm more new to the serious side of film. up until the end of my high school years, I was making more of the shoot em' up type films. Audio was really bad because the only one I could get for the shoots was my 13 year old brother... Yeah I could have done better I know :-X I can't wait to make my next doc, I've pretty much studied the "shut up and shoot doc guide" by Anthony Q Artis. That book is a GREAT refrence for a beginner doc maker.

Once again thanks for your input Paul
Nick Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Good doc

Hello, I am not a professional at all. I think you did a great job and the messages comes over well. Good choice of music, great cutting in and out of the captions.

The sound could be more polished specifically the background noise on the sign shot, and to fade the piano (nice choice) out more smoothly at the end of the captions.

Overall, a great job. Well done.

Regards

Jeff
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work