A Recent Promo I shot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 7th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #1
New Boot

A Recent Promo I shot

I recently shot a promotional video/narrative piece for two friends of mine who have their own little clothing business. I ran into some difficulties during shooting but am pleased with the results. Enjoy and I'd love some constructive criticism! (Also, Vimeo won't upload my video in HD no matter what I try, does anyone have any idea why? I haven't done anything fun in compressor) Thanks!
Hayden Hoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: A Recent Promo I shot

As fa as not being able to upload in HD, did you actually shoot it in HD? If so, when you exported the file did you export it with the proper settings? Perhaps you inadvertantly used dvd settings?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Kevin,
Yes it was shot in HD, and It's uploading as expected onto other sites, I might just be having a problem with Vimeo. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

What are the specs/res of the video you're trying to upload? File format? Vimeo has some encoding suggestions. 1280x720 as a h.264 mp4 or mov works fine. 3000kbps. Once it has uplaoded Vimeo will allow viewer to watch in hd.
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #5
Major Player

It's cool. I like the 1970s footage style you created with it, however to be honest it seems more of a short film for you than a promo for the clothing company. Aside from the couple second graphic in the beginning the clothing company is completely forgotten. I wouldn't have noticed it had you not stated in your post it was a promo video you shot. I think the ending of the girls face is a not so good ending & you should replace it with a graphic for the clothing company.

Stylistically, I like it. Marketing wise, I don't. Also, maybe give them a :30 editing version as well to choose from, it's unlikely visitors of their website or facebook will sit thru 1:30 promo video. Again, seems a little more targeted to your benefit than theirs.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #6
New Boot

David, and I agree, the final product honestly turned out to be more of a narrative/short film type piece and this was never the intention. I made a critical flaw in my time management and was planning to shoot product placement shots after the narrative elements were shot. But to my surprise one of the girls announced that she had to leave in 15 minutes when I was about half way through the shoot, I hurried to complete the rest of the shots that were crucial to piece together the simple story line and we did one take of each shot that I had planned out while battling some overheating issues and lacking time to transfer the camera between a tripod and shoulder rig, (lots of shaky shots and some shots I definitely wanted to reshoot) but the majority of the shots turned out okay. I have learned a lot from the experience and I am glad that I made the mistake while shooting with friends, (the project was basically a collaboration between one of the girls in the shoot and I, as we are still in highschool and she runs the company on the side with one of her friends). The video was looped in the background at a party that she had showcasing some of the clothes she was selling and it did well, but as far as a promo, it was unsuccessful.

Thank you for your input!, It's constructive criticism like this that really lets me get a handle on what I can improve in the learning process, I have a long ways to go!
Old August 15th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #7
Major Player

That's interesting, none of those troubles come out in the finished product. Anyway, what I was referring to can be finished off in post. Just place the graphic back at the end or before the final shot of the girls face (facial shot, ha!). Take a cue from the ending of the old Calvin Klien ads:

CK one (1995) #1 - YouTube
David Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work