"Burning Love"--reality spoof with Ken Marino, Kristen Bell, Malin Ackerman at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old May 1st, 2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Wrangler

"Burning Love"--reality spoof with Ken Marino, Kristen Bell, Malin Ackerman

'Bachelor' parody: Ben Stiller, Kristen Bell in 'Burning Love' | PopWatch | EW.com

I've managed to avoid reality TV (both working on it and watching it) but this spoof of the genre involved some of my favorite peeps so I couldn't turn it down. I watched a few episodes of The Bachelor to prepare and figure out how to simulate the look of the show with a very different set of resources. Any show that has a mansion/house that all the contestants live in utilize a sizeable rigging crew to build a pre-lit environment. I had a much smaller crew with no rigging possibillities, so I had to work from the floor shot-by-shot which was often pretty hairy (cross-shooting the ceremonies without seeing stands etc). The lighting style was one that was completely alien to me--I can't remember the last time I had to peg skin tones so hot, nor use such gaudy color splashes for accents--but Ken (Marino's) edict to me was "make it look like the Bachelor" and that's what they do...

I've seen all of the episodes, it's funny stuff. Lots of familiar faces!
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: "Burning Love"--reality spoof with Ken Marino, Kristen Bell, Malin Ackerman

Charles, i think the reason people aren't replying is they are finding the video hard to find.

Regards
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Wrangler

Hadn't thought about it much Chris, I've been working like a madman and forgot about it myself!

The video was on an exclusive on that site for a built but it's on YouTube now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gx03b48L_5k
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #4
Wrangler

Burning Love has premiered! Hope the site is visible internationally, you guys tell me.

Burning Love
Old June 8th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Wrangler

So do I assume the site is not viewable outside the U.S...?
Old June 18th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #6
New Boot

Just found this thread and tore through the first six episodes. I love it, great spoof! I'm surprised so many people I love signed onto the project too. Any insight on how so many great people were signed on?

I wasn't familiar with Yahoo screen, but apparently they're spending a lot to build up their internet TV. Makes sense to me, most TV I watch is either online or DVR-ed.

Also, any insight on what the production schedule is like, I'm very curious about the business end since I only work with small businesses and bands.
Jerry Karvasale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Karvasale View Post
I'm surprised so many people I love signed onto the project too. Any insight on how so many great people were signed on?
If you do a "Six Degrees of Ken Marino", you can trace back a lot of the other actors to his prior TV shows and features--starting with "The State", continuing through "Veronica Mars", "Party Down", "Children's Hospital", "Wanderlust" etc.

Quote:
Also, any insight on what the production schedule is like, I'm very curious about the business end since I only work with small businesses and bands.
We had a very compact production schedule on this--principal photography was nine days with a second unit in New York for the Ben Stiller stuff. It was a massive challenge to shoot what ended up being nearly two hours of total runtime (i.e. a generous sized feature film!) in that short of a time period.
Old June 18th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #8
Inner Circle

You're correct Charles, seems it's only available in the USA, certainly not in NZ.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 01:56 AM   #9
Wrangler

The beautiful and hilarious Natasha Leggero plugs "Burning Love" on the Tonight Show--nice one Natasha!

The Tonight Show with Jay Leno - Natasha Leggero, Part 1 (6/19/12) - Video - NBC.com
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #10
Wrangler

The show has been airing on E! on Mondays, repackaged into half hour segments. I think it's funny that a network known for straight-up reality shows is running this--I wonder how many people think it's real at first glance.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work