A Different Kind of Property Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 15th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Trustee

A Different Kind of Property Video

CASA DE ROSA
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 09:15 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: A Different Kind of Property Video

This was shot predominantly with the GH4 (4K) and some with the 5D3.
Old September 17th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #3
Trustee

Nobody comments or adds constructive criticism anymore.

Its a shame.
Old September 17th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Brilliant work as always Chuck. I especially appreciated the narration being treated with proper dynamics and eq and it sounded broadcast ready. I'm finding the attention span of most viewers gets shorter by the day and I'm treating my productions along the "hit song" model by trying to keep them less than 4 minutes. At 6 minutes I found this a little long. I also wasn't sure what the offer was. It appears to an opportunity for investors to become shareholders in Casa de Rosa but it wasn't overly clear. I'm guessing there may be an online prospectus for investors at which point the video makes more sense. Camera work and motion was great as always.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2014, 01:03 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Duane, your right this is part of a power point and prospectus for investing in a real estate investment trust. This is about the 15th of these i've done and I usually try to keep them as short as possible but I don't write them.

I only have three days to shoot and a couple to edit so it makes it kind of challenging to change it up and be more creative.
Old September 18th, 2014, 05:06 AM   #6
Major Player

They have Saguaros in ABQ? There seem to be an awful lot of those gratuitous vertical moves and I start feeling like I'm on a boat. They seem to be made with a head that has a bit of play in it as well as the moves have some side play and vary in vertical speed. Other than that it's a nice looking piece. Did you use a lot of stock footage?
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Trustee

There are about five stock shots. I shoot a lot of these and use a lot of shots from previous shoots.

One of the challenges is not only do I only have three days to shoot but I also take very little equipment, usually what can be carried in a large pelican case and my tripod bag. I purchased a Kessler Pocket Jib Traveler the day before the shoot, they are very easy to deploy so I probably used it on more shots than I should have and it is not nearly as stable as my larger jib. I think with a little practice I could get much better at it. Its certainly something I will continue to use.

This was also the first time I used the GH4 on a production, shooting in 4K provides a lot of opportunity to re-frame, pan and scan shots etc.. I really did very little of that in this video.

Not to make excuses, your feedback is the reason I posted this so it helps me figure out ways to improve, but one of the things I dislike about shooting these is that they don't write them until after they're shot so almost all the shots are gratuitous. I was in Film Tools getting supplies, which is why I purchased the Traveler, when I got the call asking me if I could make a flight for ABQ in three hours. So I get there and I just start shooting, hoping that something stands out that I can use as a theme for the project.

What's a Saguaros?
Old September 18th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #8
Major Player

Saguaros are those big cactusy things growing in the desert. There's a shot of one in the opening footage, but I only recall seeing those in southern Arizona.
Old September 21st, 2014, 12:03 AM   #9
Trustee

Your probably right. That's one of the stock shots. I wasn't there in the winter so the skier is a stock shot and the balloon festival was the following month so that's the other.

The University of New Mexico was actually the University of Montana, and there were a couple of shots from downtown Missoula.
Old September 21st, 2014, 06:44 AM   #10
Major Player

Why not a cowboy for the VO?
Old September 21st, 2014, 11:07 AM   #11
Trustee

Its the same narrator for all the video's. I did one for a Vegas facility with a kind of Oceans 11 opening which begged for a different narrator, but no such luck.

Sometime you just have to go to battle with the army you got..
Old September 22nd, 2014, 06:15 PM   #12
Major Player

The narrator is perfect!! Just the right touch of something different.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work