Ambushed -- short film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 1st, 2017, 01:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Ambushed -- short film

Happy new year everyone. Here is my latest short:

Shot on gh4 and edited with fcpx. I did everything myself as usual.

Hope you enjoy and always welcome comments questions etc.
Old January 1st, 2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Ambushed -- short film

Happy New Year to you too. Looks like you've been busy!

High quality cinematography, sound design and grading, IMHO. You extract so much production value from what I imagine must be a very tight budget. I loved your shot selection, framing and camera movement. Only wish I lived remotely near you to volunteer assistance on your set. Would learn a great deal.

Apart from the Indian lady's use of "sweet Jesus" and "mother of God"--hinting at some sort of human personality--the script/story fails to excite any deep interest in any one of those characters. The detachment between the brilliantly crafted cinematic setting and the actors who inhabit that setting is disappointing. The cinematography promised a story, but the dialogue quickly broke that promise. So much so that as I write now, it might have been more gratifying had every single one of the characters been slaughtered. Who cares in the end?

You need to be armed with a remotely compelling, well crafted script/story. Easier said than done, I know.

Quick question regards the drone set-up? How were those shots acquired?
Miggy Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 08:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Ambushed -- short film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggy Sanchez View Post
Happy New Year to you too. Looks like you've been busy!

High quality cinematography, sound design and grading, IMHO. You extract so much production value from what I imagine must be a very tight budget. I loved your shot selection, framing and camera movement. Only wish I lived remotely near you to volunteer assistance on your set. Would learn a great deal.

Apart from the Indian lady's use of "sweet Jesus" and "mother of God"--hinting at some sort of human personality--the script/story fails to excite any deep interest in any one of those characters. The detachment between the brilliantly crafted cinematic setting and the actors who inhabit that setting is disappointing. The cinematography promised a story, but the dialogue quickly broke that promise. So much so that as I write now, it might have been more gratifying had every single one of the characters been slaughtered. Who cares in the end?

You need to be armed with a remotely compelling, well crafted script/story. Easier said than done, I know.

Quick question regards the drone set-up? How were those shots acquired?
More like no budget as everything was spent on permits insurance and lodging which isn't good when I wanna spend money on actual production.

This was a just a class project for some of the actors I worked with. Wish I could get little more details and specific to the character writing issues. Btw it's super hard to do a lot with a short film when Im trying to please everyone involved, but it is hard in general. I have yet to date seen a short where I cared about characters. Maybe there is one but it's hard to achieve in short time even with a feature film. I spent most of my time with those big blockbusters like rogue one etc and find I care for no one.

What I initially wanted to do and what we ended up with were two different things. I may also have a different style from a lot of other people, as I don't like to make everything so plot driven. But it's hard to create compelling characters in a short time with so many characters and in one setting.

I also think what a someone may expect watching anything based on their preconceived notions can interfere on their over all experience, good or bad.

Anyway I always appreciate your comments and Would love more from you. ��

Last edited by Brian Duke; January 2nd, 2017 at 02:34 PM.
Brian Duke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work