University Innovation Center at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 31st, 2017, 12:08 PM   #1
Major Player

University Innovation Center

Put this quick little video together to highlight the Innovation Center that opened on our campus last January. Let me know what you think. Constructive criticism is encouraged.

Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 03:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: University Innovation Center

Brock, I think this shows some terrific improvement over some of your past videos. Great job.

You should play with your shutter functionality to try to eliminate the scanlines when you're filming screens. It wasn't all of them, but the drawing screen was especially bad. I would try normal shutter speeds first, and if you can't get rid of it that way, then go into Syncro Scan on your GH4. It definitely takes some time to hit on the right combo, but it's worth it in my opinion.

I had an issue with just LED lighting that was 60.59Hz and it was definitely flickering. The problem was, I didn't notice it on the GH5's small screen. Thankfully, on the second camera with the 702 SmallHD, I noticed it, and at the break tweaked the shutter to match that, and then used Syncro Scan on the GH5 to eliminate it there as well. For the first segment, I'll just use Digital Anarchy's Flicker Free plugin to fix it, though that is primarily for time-lapse, slow-motion, and LED lighting, so not sure if it works with monitor flicker, but you can check it out for future uses.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 03:07 PM   #3
Trustee

Yes, looks really great Brock! I can see you implemented some of the things you were posting about last week. Spot on. Very exciting, that's a LOT of shots! Really like the hyperlapses and fast moving drone shots.

For the flicker on the board, you might try this trick: duplicate the clip, set the opacity to 50% and then paste it over the original with a 1-frame offset. It blurs the video a bit but may help the flicker.
Old November 1st, 2017, 08:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
Brock, I think this shows some terrific improvement over some of your past videos. Great job.

You should play with your shutter functionality to try to eliminate the scanlines when you're filming screens. It wasn't all of them, but the drawing screen was especially bad. I would try normal shutter speeds first, and if you can't get rid of it that way, then go into Syncro Scan on your GH4. It definitely takes some time to hit on the right combo, but it's worth it in my opinion.

I had an issue with just LED lighting that was 60.59Hz and it was definitely flickering. The problem was, I didn't notice it on the GH5's small screen. Thankfully, on the second camera with the 702 SmallHD, I noticed it, and at the break tweaked the shutter to match that, and then used Syncro Scan on the GH5 to eliminate it there as well. For the first segment, I'll just use Digital Anarchy's Flicker Free plugin to fix it, though that is primarily for time-lapse, slow-motion, and LED lighting, so not sure if it works with monitor flicker, but you can check it out for future uses.
I'm not going to lie, I didn't even realize there was a way to fix the TV flicker. I'll definitely be on the lookout for that in the future. Thanks!
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 08:57 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
Yes, looks really great Brock! I can see you implemented some of the things you were posting about last week. Spot on. Very exciting, that's a LOT of shots! Really like the hyperlapses and fast moving drone shots.

For the flicker on the board, you might try this trick: duplicate the clip, set the opacity to 50% and then paste it over the original with a 1-frame offset. It blurs the video a bit but may help the flicker.
Wow, your little trick worked perfectly. Thanks!!
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work