Need your opinion on this trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 29th, 2005, 12:08 AM   #1
Major Player

Need your opinion on this trailer

Hi, this is what my company has been working on lately. Its a travel show pilot with the premise: exploring the world one city at a time, through its cuisines. We decided to base the first episode/ pilot episode on Delhi and what cuisines it has to offer (because its so diverse!)

Anyway, we released a small trailer for the show (more in the works). We're more focused on editing the actual pilot than the trailers, so I need some opinions regarding the trailer. Any input is appreciated, please let me know what should be changed etc (in detail). Let me know whether there should be an option for higher res etc.

The whole production is done with a crew of 8 people. Thank you for your time and input.
http://craterlionproductions.com

excuse the dust, the website is still under construction

Click on enter, then sneek peek. Thanks guys, greatly value your opinion!
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 12:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't think the trailer gives a good idea of your show. Give me a taste of your show. Tell me what it's about, get me interested in it (i.e. make me want to see the rest).

Quote:
We're more focused on editing the actual pilot than the trailers, so I need some opinions regarding the trailer.
?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 12:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey there Glenn, thanks for your input. I completely understand and agree with you, we're working on the second trailer as we speak. The second one will have the host in it and everything, ie, everything you ask for!

this first one though, is more of a glimpse, thats meant to leave you wondering... That was the aim, hopefully its doing its job. I'm trying to get some input on what people think of this clip so far though. I'll have the second trailer posted in the next few days...

Edit: what i meant by that quote was, we're putting less time on the trailers, we're more focused on editing the pilot. Thats why i'm trying to get a general opinion on the trailer since so little time was spent creating it.

Thanks

Last edited by Spike Spiegel; October 29th, 2005 at 02:47 AM.
Old October 29th, 2005, 06:29 AM   #4
Wrangler

Hi Spike,

I moved the thread to "DV for the Masses" as I think you'll get more response and a wider variety of opinions there.

Agree with Glenn. Just seemed to move slowly, not grab me. If the show is about cuisine of the world, I think there were too many "tourist shots" and not enough "food shots." One shot in particular that I didn't like was the pan of a large building with a lady walking just halfway out of frame on the right side through the whole shot. I'd just drop that shot altogether, or at least crop her out so she's not half-on the screen. The music is also too lulling to get me excited about what my eyes are seeing.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Pete, we'll have the kind of trailer you guys are looking for. Thanks for the input, i'll see what I can do to change it up.. I'll post here again when its
Old October 30th, 2005, 02:24 AM   #6
Major Player

in the meanwhile, any new viewers, feel free to comment on the first trailer. Its supposed to be a glimpse, an very slow paced glance of the show, we'll have a variety of trailers, this ones the slow one...
Old October 30th, 2005, 03:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

If you don't mind I can give a few comments on this teaser.

It is a one minute short. Every second is valuable. You loose the first 8 seconds with titles. I think you could start directly with footage and if needed put a layer with titles over it, or put them at the end.

First shot is the airplane, I miss the foley here: put a jetplane sound with it! Some soundscapes here and there won't hurt.

As said already, it is slow and it starts off with a couple of touristic shots, get to the food and cuisine as soon as possible. Make us feel hungry ;-) Put a voice-over with it telling a few things about the show, for example let Jessica your hostess do a voice-over.

I would also put a URL to visit at the end of the trailer, that way ppl can trace back where the trailer originated.

Good luck, regards,
Erwin
Erwin Keizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 01:39 PM   #8
Major Player

thanks for the comments. I agree with you Erwin, about the intro. Haven't thought of it like that. I kind of wanted to keepthe field sounds out of this one. the next trailer will be a lot more direct, get to know the host, the show, field audio, cooking shots, kind of deal. Thanks for any input, i'll see what i can do to cater to those inputs.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work