Maria - University of Charleston at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old April 20th, 2018, 09:41 AM   #1
Major Player

Maria - University of Charleston

I put this short little video together to help international students feel comfortable coming to our university. It is a story about a girl from Mexico coming here while knowing almost no English .

Constructive criticism welcomed

Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2018, 10:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Maria - University of Charleston

You crossed the line with your second camera in the interview setup, and it looks really odd.

I wouldn't have shown her in slow motion about to shove a fry in her mouth. Also, why so much headroom in that shot? There's nothing interesting back there.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2018, 06:52 AM   #3
Major Player

What do you mean, "crossed the line?"
Old April 23rd, 2018, 07:48 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Crossed the 90 degree axis? I didn't notice it.

The "french fry" thing is such a quick shot that I think it's no big deal.

Hope you get some traction out of this piece.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2018, 08:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Crossed the 90 degree axis? I didn't notice it.
"180° rule is a cinematography guideline that states that two characters in a scene should maintain the same left/right relationship to one another." - Wikipedia.

Your main shot has the interviewee looking towards camera left. Your second camera angle on slider has her looking camera right.

I would have demonstrated with screencaps, but I cannot add attachments for some reason.

Also, the two cameras don't match color-wise.
Old April 24th, 2018, 03:31 PM   #6
Wrangler

The 180 rule Gary refers to is also a staple of sports broadcasting, such that the viewer can orient themselves to the direction of play on the field. That view is only broken with reverse angle shots or instant replay but is labeled as such while being shown. The main cameras following the action will always be from the same side of the field, however.

It’s really all about giving the viewer a point of reference as to what is right and left.

Regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 05:07 PM   #7
Major Player

I thought it was nicely assembled. Not a fan of multiple angles for interviews but in this case it wasn't overbearing.

Seems there are many good videos that aren't getting seen and when I watched this one it only had 126 views and probably most came from this site. If anyone knows an internet wizard who can increase distribution I'd like to meet them.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 05:47 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Adam View Post
If anyone knows an internet wizard who can increase distribution I'd like to meet them.
Yes, it's called marketing and involves spending money.
Old April 24th, 2018, 05:48 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
The 180 rule Gary refers to is also a staple of sports broadcasting, such that the viewer can orient themselves to the direction of play on the field.
No, the 180 rule is also common in narrative as well, which would include commercial. You break it for specific circumstances, and this doesn't feel like it was broken out of intent.
Old April 26th, 2018, 08:45 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Adam View Post
I thought it was nicely assembled. Not a fan of multiple angles for interviews but in this case it wasn't overbearing.

Seems there are many good videos that aren't getting seen and when I watched this one it only had 126 views and probably most came from this site. If anyone knows an internet wizard who can increase distribution I'd like to meet them.
Yea we actually didn't push this out via YouTube. Instead we uploaded it straight to Facebook. We ended up getting 1.7k views on facebook, but I think they inflate that number so actual views are probably much lower than that.
Old April 26th, 2018, 08:46 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
"180° rule is a cinematography guideline that states that two characters in a scene should maintain the same left/right relationship to one another." - Wikipedia.

Your main shot has the interviewee looking towards camera left. Your second camera angle on slider has her looking camera right.

I would have demonstrated with screencaps, but I cannot add attachments for some reason.

Also, the two cameras don't match color-wise.
I'll keep that in mind for future projects! Thanks!

Yea I struggled matching the two cameras. One camera is a GH5 and the other is a 5DMarkIV. I tried shooting really really flat on the GH5 this time and I struggled to get it to look similar to the 5D. Maybe next time.
Old April 26th, 2018, 09:32 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Burwell View Post
Yea I struggled matching the two cameras. One camera is a GH5 and the other is a 5DMarkIV. I tried shooting really really flat on the GH5 this time and I struggled to get it to look similar to the 5D. Maybe next time.
Did you film in Vlog? There is no point on trying to flatten the other profiles. You're literally removing saturation and contrast only to add it right back in in post. Best to give it as much of a neutral feel as possible.

When I had my GH5, I would try to match it to my C300 Mark II. This required hue transforms, especially in reds and oranges. That's the starting place.
Old April 26th, 2018, 02:06 PM   #13
Major Player

While I don't shoot in VLOG, this was my first video shooting in HLG and it was a bit rough to grade. I'm not the best colorist in the world, so since then I've just gone back to shooting cineliked.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'd love to have a C300. One day!
Old April 27th, 2018, 08:49 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Burwell View Post
Yea we actually didn't push this out via YouTube. Instead we uploaded it straight to Facebook. We ended up getting 1.7k views on facebook, but I think they inflate that number so actual views are probably much lower than that.
That's a pretty decent number in 2018. I work for a large company with a dedicated PR department but even when stories or press releases are placed in large publications like the Wall Street Journal or New York Times the web page hits are in the 100's not 1000's. .
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2018, 11:37 AM   #15
Major Player

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing Duane
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work