NASA Orion Space Capsule Ascent Abort Test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old July 3rd, 2019, 07:07 AM   #1
Vortex Media

Re: The Birds in my Backyard

Well, I'm glad I didn't put the camera down and just watch with my naked eyes yesterday! Got some of my best rocket launch footage ever.

Old July 3rd, 2019, 09:00 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: NASA Orion Space Capsule Ascent Abort Test

This work copied here as a new thread from Under Water, Over Land as it deserves to stand on its own.

Stellar work as usual, Doug!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2019, 11:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Doug - could you post the url? My MacBook refuses to allow it to play since the latest update.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2019, 12:04 PM   #4
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
This work copied here as a new thread from Under Water, Over Land as it deserves to stand on its own.

Stellar work as usual, Doug!
Thanks, Chris! Your stamp of approval means a lot to me. It really does.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 12:06 PM   #5
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Doug - could you post the url? My MacBook refuses to allow it to play since the latest update.
Unfortunately the DVinfo system always turn the Vimeo URL into a link no matter how I paste it. You can try copying this text into the search bar at Vimeo "NASA Orion Space Capsule Ascent Abort Test" and it should come up. It was lots of fun to shoot. Unfortunately my third camera lost focus for some reason so it was unusable. I would have liked to have had another wide angle. It's a crap shoot everytime so I'm just happy to get what I got.

Or try Youtube.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 01:17 PM   #6
Major Player

Amazing just amazing.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 09:18 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post

Sorry about that, Paul -- try this:

Code:
https://vimeo.com/345779731

Old July 5th, 2019, 07:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Nice one Doug
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2019, 02:13 AM   #9
Equal Opportunity Offender

That seagull right at the end (just prior to splashdown) was pure genius. ;)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2019, 05:47 PM   #10
Vortex Media

I added the bird in post, okay I'm just kidding. But I did get him to sign a release!
Old July 11th, 2019, 10:15 PM   #11
Trustee

In a word DJ... Outstanding! Hair on arms uprising, movingly good.

Especially this month on the 50th anniversary of the Moon landings. I remember standing outside and looking at the moon while listening to the live voices of the landing as it floated into the garden. Always been awestruck at man's technological reach for the heavens.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 01:17 PM   #12
Vortex Media

Thanks, Chris.

The anniversary of Apollo 11's launch is next Tuesday and I was supposed to be at KSC on Tuesday and Wednesday to cover the launch of an Atlas 5. It would have been cool to be there on the anniversary, but yesterday the Atlas 5 got postponed to August 8th and I'll be on the road then so will miss it. Too bad because it was going to be the most photogenic launch for the rest of the year.

I remember going over to my grandparent's house to watch the moon landing when I was 7 years old. Cool to think that NASA will soon be launching bigger, faster, better rockets than the Saturn IVs pretty soon. It will make the SpaceX rockets look like toys.
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:49 PM   #13
Trustee

Shame to miss it Doug but this stuff plus your other launch footage is beautiful to watch. Can't wait for the bigger ones to go up. Should be awesome.

My wife and a friend of hers had an invite from the powers to be some twenty years back to watch a Shuttle launch from the VIP area. Said it was the most earth shattering experience and one that she will never forget. Especially the air drying out and crackling with static. Got some great photos. I should be so lucky. You'll get more for sure... keep 'em coming!

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2019, 02:31 PM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
My wife and a friend of hers had an invite from the powers to be some twenty years back to watch a Shuttle launch from the VIP area. Said it was the most earth shattering experience and one that she will never forget. Especially the air drying out and crackling with static. Got some great photos.
The same fortunate thing happened to me... courtesy of a fellow DVi member who "worked" (if you can call it that) at JSC. Needless to say, he's a damn fine gentleman and a hell of a good friend to boot.

As a result, ten years ago my wife and I got to see the launch of STS-127 from the VIP area. Anyway, what that did for me was kind of like giving meth to a crack addict. I was instantly hooked, and I spent the remainder of the space shuttle era chasing shuttle launches. To make a long story short, it's got to be the world's most expensive spectator sport, with an average of three or four trips to Florida per successful lift-off. But, I can say that I was there for the final flights of the shuttle program, including all three orbiters on a total of four separate missions, from a variety of viewpoints including Banana Creek, Titusville and The Causeway.

The withdrawal symptoms have been terrible, but I'm managing it day by day.

Old July 17th, 2019, 04:18 PM   #15
Vortex Media

Chris, you'll know you're really an addict when you move here like did last year to be closer to all the launches. :-)
My house is 15 miles from the launch pads. You're gonna have to come for a visit when they start launching the SLS rockets in a couple of years. Bigger than than the Saturn V / Apollo rockets. It's gonna be awesome.
Expensive, yes. I was out of town twice this year and flew back for launches that didn't happen.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work