DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Law Firm Commercial (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/538290-law-firm-commercial.html)

Brock Burwell July 23rd, 2021 10:37 AM

Law Firm Commercial

I was hired for a simple :60 commercial for a law firm in my area. Constructive criticism welcomed.

I'm not sure if I should start it off with some additional b-roll of our city or leave it the way it is. He specifically suggested putting the Nancy Grace part in the middle. Additionally, I'm not sure the best way to show those news articles. He asked for them to be up, but I feel like they are hard to read as they move by so quickly. Any suggestions on the best way to show those?

Pete Cofrancesco July 23rd, 2021 04:18 PM

Re: Law Firm Commercial

Thanks for sharing. I agree news articles are too quick to read. The beginning doesn't feel like a natural start. I don't like the painting behind him it's distracting, I'd prefer a legal bookcase. I would also recommend having the contact information up the entire length of the commercial.
The larger issue which would be difficult to change at this point its a bit unfocused, long and not impactful. I like ads that are to the point and talk directly to intended audience, instead listing off qualifications. How is this law firm better than the competition and what's their specialty?
Here are some personal injury commercials. They're on the cheese side but impactful.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=732382550861415

Brock Burwell July 26th, 2021 06:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I think I agree on all of your points

- He specifically requested those articles to go up. Hopefully when he sees them, he agrees that that show up too fast to read.

- I agree about the beginning. I think I'll add a drone shot or two of our town to help that start a little more naturally.

- I don't love the painting either, but he suggested it and there wasn't many alternatives after I arrived.

- If this was a TV commercial, I probably would leave his contact info up the entire time, but it's just for his website, so I didn't think that would be necessary.

- As far as the script is concerned, he wrote it himself and was pretty adamant about sharing his accomplishments, so we went with it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate the feedback!

Pete Cofrancesco July 26th, 2021 08:09 AM

I know all to well. I've done many projects where the clients wants to be in control and as long as they are happy you should be good.

Vince Pachiano July 28th, 2021 08:21 AM

Random thoughts: I liked it. People want to see the person they are about to hire. I think he should introduce himself at the very start. Does he (you) have permission to use Nancy Grace's Name, Image, Likeness in his commercial? Personally, the Nancy Grace spot doesn't impress me. But if he insists on using it, would it be ethical to speed-up that portion 5% faster? She talks too slow...
I actually like the slow pans of the newspaper/website. It shows that he's taken on newsworthy cases. What I didn't like was the wall of non-descript certificates, especially with glare from the lighting. Finally, I'd add a quick b-roll of the local city. People like that home-town pride.

Duane Adam August 27th, 2021 09:05 AM

One of the first thing I learned taking cinematography courses was that a "b" camera shooting someone talking to another camera is a rank amateur shot (yes I was shooting that way at the time). I know a lot of people do it, but it does look dopey. If you're going to use a 2nd camera, why not have him turn and speak to that camera?

Andrew Smith August 28th, 2021 04:20 AM

Tell him he doesn't want a commercial that he will necessarily like. He wants a commercial that will absolutely work for him, pre-qualifying him and doing most of of the work of bringing clients his way (with answering the phone and affirming capabilities being the last part).

Andrew

Pete Cofrancesco August 28th, 2021 10:45 AM

After rewatching, what sticks out the most is the b-roll is too long and takes up the entire screen. It’s more important to keep the attorneys visible and engaged with the viewer than listing his accomplishments.

Duane Adam August 29th, 2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1965832)
Tell him he doesn't want a commercial that he will necessarily like. He wants a commercial that will absolutely work for him, pre-qualifying him and doing most of of the work of bringing clients his way (with answering the phone and affirming capabilities being the last part).

Andrew

Absolutely correct. Some of my (in my opinion) finest work didn't exactly have them beating down the doors while some of my least favorites did. It's all about what works. That does cross the line from videography to marketing though for which there should be a different pay scale.

Steven Digges September 3rd, 2021 11:22 AM

I think you are battling a common case of a client wanting to cram everything they have into one 60 second spot. It is frustrating trying to explain to them "Just because you have it does not mean you have to use it."

Just because Nancy Grace called him high profile does not mean it has to pop up in the middle and disrupt everything.

When you work with professional advertisers they are always spot on about getting ONE clear message across. The don't use shot guns, they use laser beams!

Kind Regards

Steve

PS Brock, it has been a pleasure following your career here since the beginning before you even went to work at the university. I'm glad your still posting.

Brock Burwell September 29th, 2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Digges (Post 1965853)
PS Brock, it has been a pleasure following your career here since the beginning before you even went to work at the university. I'm glad your still posting.

Thanks Steven,

I definitely have come a long way from the first video I ever posted here. I got really fortunate to get this position at the university and really learned on the job.

It's good to have a place here where I can learn and share without fear of judgement. You guys are great.

Pete Cofrancesco September 29th, 2021 11:06 PM

I've got a colleague who I will be helping shoot a law firm commercial soon. We'll see if I can do any better.

Donald McPherson September 30th, 2021 12:03 AM

If he doesn't mind suggestions. Show him these posts. From fellow videographers.

Pete Cofrancesco September 30th, 2021 09:30 AM

I mentioned a few of the points touched on here, but I'm going to stay mostly hands off since it's not my client and he has good plan in place.