Law Firm Commercial at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old July 23rd, 2021, 10:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Law Firm Commercial

I was hired for a simple :60 commercial for a law firm in my area. Constructive criticism welcomed.

I'm not sure if I should start it off with some additional b-roll of our city or leave it the way it is. He specifically suggested putting the Nancy Grace part in the middle. Additionally, I'm not sure the best way to show those news articles. He asked for them to be up, but I feel like they are hard to read as they move by so quickly. Any suggestions on the best way to show those?

Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2021, 04:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Law Firm Commercial

Thanks for sharing. I agree news articles are too quick to read. The beginning doesn't feel like a natural start. I don't like the painting behind him it's distracting, I'd prefer a legal bookcase. I would also recommend having the contact information up the entire length of the commercial.
The larger issue which would be difficult to change at this point its a bit unfocused, long and not impactful. I like ads that are to the point and talk directly to intended audience, instead listing off qualifications. How is this law firm better than the competition and what's their specialty?
Here are some personal injury commercials. They're on the cheese side but impactful.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=732382550861415

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; July 24th, 2021 at 08:48 AM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2021, 06:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback. I think I agree on all of your points

- He specifically requested those articles to go up. Hopefully when he sees them, he agrees that that show up too fast to read.

- I agree about the beginning. I think I'll add a drone shot or two of our town to help that start a little more naturally.

- I don't love the painting either, but he suggested it and there wasn't many alternatives after I arrived.

- If this was a TV commercial, I probably would leave his contact info up the entire time, but it's just for his website, so I didn't think that would be necessary.

- As far as the script is concerned, he wrote it himself and was pretty adamant about sharing his accomplishments, so we went with it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate the feedback!
Old July 26th, 2021, 08:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I know all to well. I've done many projects where the clients wants to be in control and as long as they are happy you should be good.
Old July 28th, 2021, 08:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Random thoughts: I liked it. People want to see the person they are about to hire. I think he should introduce himself at the very start. Does he (you) have permission to use Nancy Grace's Name, Image, Likeness in his commercial? Personally, the Nancy Grace spot doesn't impress me. But if he insists on using it, would it be ethical to speed-up that portion 5% faster? She talks too slow...
I actually like the slow pans of the newspaper/website. It shows that he's taken on newsworthy cases. What I didn't like was the wall of non-descript certificates, especially with glare from the lighting. Finally, I'd add a quick b-roll of the local city. People like that home-town pride.
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2021, 09:05 AM   #6
Major Player

One of the first thing I learned taking cinematography courses was that a "b" camera shooting someone talking to another camera is a rank amateur shot (yes I was shooting that way at the time). I know a lot of people do it, but it does look dopey. If you're going to use a 2nd camera, why not have him turn and speak to that camera?
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2021, 04:20 AM   #7
Equal Opportunity Offender

Tell him he doesn't want a commercial that he will necessarily like. He wants a commercial that will absolutely work for him, pre-qualifying him and doing most of of the work of bringing clients his way (with answering the phone and affirming capabilities being the last part).

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2021, 10:45 AM   #8
Inner Circle

After rewatching, what sticks out the most is the b-roll is too long and takes up the entire screen. It’s more important to keep the attorneys visible and engaged with the viewer than listing his accomplishments.
Old August 29th, 2021, 09:54 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Tell him he doesn't want a commercial that he will necessarily like. He wants a commercial that will absolutely work for him, pre-qualifying him and doing most of of the work of bringing clients his way (with answering the phone and affirming capabilities being the last part).

Andrew
Absolutely correct. Some of my (in my opinion) finest work didn't exactly have them beating down the doors while some of my least favorites did. It's all about what works. That does cross the line from videography to marketing though for which there should be a different pay scale.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2021, 11:22 AM   #10
Trustee

I think you are battling a common case of a client wanting to cram everything they have into one 60 second spot. It is frustrating trying to explain to them "Just because you have it does not mean you have to use it."

Just because Nancy Grace called him high profile does not mean it has to pop up in the middle and disrupt everything.

When you work with professional advertisers they are always spot on about getting ONE clear message across. The don't use shot guns, they use laser beams!

Kind Regards

Steve

PS Brock, it has been a pleasure following your career here since the beginning before you even went to work at the university. I'm glad your still posting.
Old September 29th, 2021, 02:40 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
PS Brock, it has been a pleasure following your career here since the beginning before you even went to work at the university. I'm glad your still posting.
Thanks Steven,

I definitely have come a long way from the first video I ever posted here. I got really fortunate to get this position at the university and really learned on the job.

It's good to have a place here where I can learn and share without fear of judgement. You guys are great.
Old September 29th, 2021, 11:06 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I've got a colleague who I will be helping shoot a law firm commercial soon. We'll see if I can do any better.
Old September 30th, 2021, 12:03 AM   #13
Major Player

If he doesn't mind suggestions. Show him these posts. From fellow videographers.
Old September 30th, 2021, 09:30 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I mentioned a few of the points touched on here, but I'm going to stay mostly hands off since it's not my client and he has good plan in place.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work