Show Your Work 2006 - Page 27 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:06 AM   #391
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry
We shoot with a Canon XLH1, capture and edit in the .AIC, then import a self contained movie into an Uncompressed 10 bit FCP project timeline, render it out letterboxed, then dub it to Beta SP. I tried using Compressor to down convert the HD master to 10 bit Uncompressed this episode (the second airing of the show) so that we could save render time in the FCP timeline. It worked wel but it seemed that the field order was reversed when I altered the Compressor preset. So we used Joe's Field Fixer to reverse the frame order and it looked normal and very nice after that. The standard Compressor preset, just left alone, looked like it was converted to 30p by default. I liked the look of it but my boss felt more secure with the interlaced footage after reversing the fields.
Thanks for the response Ash. Do you think there's a problem with my workflow? Any suggestions on how to go from 1080i AIC to 10 bit uncompressed to Beta SP?

You must have a Kona card or similar if you go from DVCPRO HD to Beta. At this time we have only the AJA Io.

Thanks.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:30 PM   #392
Trustee

I usually dont do the polish or final dump but we do use a Kona card. Most the time we capture DVCproHD, edit the show then rebuild uncompressed for CC, etc. then out thru the Kona to the decks. Never had to do any frame reversal that I am aware of.

ash =o)
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:40 PM   #393
Trustee

New shows up on the Victory 5 network

A bunch of new shows up since I posted last. We have a new video show in the works called 'VSides' (http://www.v5tv.com).
Let's see, new episodes Rewired, Distortions and The Sada Show. New stuff coming next week as well! All for portable devices.
As always, comments are welcome.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:30 PM   #394
Major Player

The LOT!

www.thelot.com

Just thought I would share this. I personally do not feel compelled to get involved. Look at projectgreenlight and they made fun of those people. Mark Burnett is a good TV producer, but I think this is a career killer. Not a starter. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just thought I'd share.

Application... "For entertainment purposely only..." hmmm.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:12 PM   #395
Regular Crew

DISCLAIMER: No relation to the above poster. :)

So, is this an "American Idol" for filmmakers?
Old May 24th, 2006, 01:03 AM   #396
Major Player

Oh so many Harmon's out there. Small world.
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #397
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
I usually dont do the polish or final dump but we do use a Kona card. Most the time we capture DVCproHD, edit the show then rebuild uncompressed for CC, etc. then out thru the Kona to the decks. Never had to do any frame reversal that I am aware of.
Hi Ash,

Since you use the Kona card I'd like to ask you a few questions. What camera are you shooting HD with? We're using H1, shooting 1080 60i. I'm ordering a Kona LH today. We cut on a dual 2 ghz G5 with PCI-X.

With the Kona there will be no need to capture via FW, is this correct? Will I need to still connect to FW if I want camera control from FCP 5?

Can you give me a little more detail on your work flow? Currently we capture via FW in the .aic.

Thanks a bunch.
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #398
Trustee

We shoot a variety, mainly Varicam but also XLH, HVX, and a little JVC. In my case I have access to a DVCproHD deck and transfer everything to it before capturing thru the Kona, never have taken it direct from the camera. Most of the XLH footage was shot directly to the HD deck via HD-SDI... it looks STUNNING and SHARPER than the $100K+ Varicam (I still like the Vari look better though).

ash =o)
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #399
Major Player

Don's Music Center :30

This is a demo spot I've put together for a local store. This is not the final treatment. Just a way for him to see how I propose we do the final. I still need to get a few shots to fill in where I had to use some generic stills.

It's only a couple of Mb's and 30 seconds long.

http://www.emeryvideo.com/media/DMC.wmv

Comments welcomed if the mood strikes you.

Jeff
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:52 AM   #400
Major Player

Scenes from my comedy

I shot a comedy with my DVX100A last year and I put a couple of scenes from my endeavors up on google video and youtube. The movie was my first feature film effort, and I’m working on my second one now. If anyone is interested in checking them out, just click on the links below. The entire movie is for sale at Amazon.com, too. Thanks!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...20&q=Rap+Quest
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...42&q=Rap+Quest
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...06&q=Rap+Quest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPzDelL4G7M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV_EARekCYA
Old May 28th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #401
Major Player

I like the stylistic effects you do with the gags. Although I did find the pacing a little slow, the jokes were easy to get. I think timing is what let you down.

I dont want to sound mean, its just that I do stand up for a hobby myself, and I know how hard it is to get something funny down on camera right.

Overall, the atmosphere of the whole film set was perfect, and I particularly liked the two male dominatrix thing. I pissed my pants it was so funny and absurd. I just think with faster editing and dialogue, it would have gotten a 4 out of 5 from me. (5 is reserved for the likes of Dave Chappel, and Team America) But I think I'll give this a 3 and half.

For your first comedy film, I'm impressed really. My first bombed out, and it wasnt until 4 more tires at it I got an audience to really laugh out loud. So keep at it, you'll eventuall hit that coveted gold mine that us comedians aim for.... the never ending laugh. lol....

Good job.
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #402
Major Player

Thanks, I do appreciate the constructive criticism, really I do. I'll do much better on my second feature. The biggest problem I had was that I'm not really a "technical" person and I ended up doing the lighting, the camera, the sound, and the sound mix on my own. Movie making is such a complex art form that you really can't master all aspects of it. I always thought that horror was my thing, but I enjoy comedy way more than any other genre because the audience reaction is immediate and gratifying (either people laugh, or they don’t.) Three stars is dearly appreciated!
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #403
Major Player

I can totally understand.

I'm glad you ddint take my comments the wrong way. Dont get me wrong, I liked the film, especially for a first attempt.

Now that you say you did some horror, I can see why the handcuff scene was so damn funny. I like the take you did on it. Especailly with the blocking of the big black man and the white man that reminded me of Hulk Hogan for soem reason.

I dont like offering critisism because often film is an art, and his to his own. But if its comedy, we in Australia live by the tennant that you share the tricks of the trade. And all I'm saying is, the comedy works, just work on the timing and you'll be fine.

OMG!!! I almost fell over with the condom bit. Scratched my head with some of the acting of the two girls, but the condom in the mouth bit was so unexpected I think I wet my pants!! It reminds me of this great movie "How high" and how absurd things can just get.

BTW... Here's a link of a tips page if you ever decide to start writing comedy dialogue on top of your physical comedy.
http://www.pilotproject.tv/7_laws_comedy_writing.html
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #404
Trustee

New place to showcase music videos

We have a new show up called Vsides where our host Edna M showcases indie bands and videos.

http://www.v5tv.com/vsides.htm

We are pretty proud of it, so support from the DV/HD crowd is always welcome.

If you have some videos and the rights to them, talk to us :
contact@bionicbuddha.com
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #405

making a scene in an Indie Fim

Horrors of War - MAKING SCENE 12, click here

This is a 5 minute video showing the dangers of shooting in the wilderness as our cast is attacked by a giant spider in real life. Hear from the actors how they dealt with natures greatest threats during filming of one scene in Horrors of War

Interviews & behind the scenes shot with the Panasonic DVX100 by Gil Whitney (www.gilwhitney.com)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work