1-minute experimental movie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 14th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Major Player

1-minute experimental movie

Just finished a surrealistic 1-minute film called 'Shopping Music'. It's about the 'other side' of that awful middle of the road-music you often hear in shopping malls. It's a contribution to a Dutch 1-minute Music-theme webcontest.

Shot with the DVX100 (PAL), edited with Vegas 6 and color correction with Magic Bullet Editors 2.

Read some background info and watch the movie at www.orphicfilm.nl/html/sm.html

Looking forward to read about your 'watching experience'!
Old February 14th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Honestly I didn't really 'get' the piece. When you zoom through the speaker to reveal the 'man behind the music' the music actually changes to techno dance and the guy is jamming to it. But that's not what's going through the speaker, so it was a big disconnect to me. I also didn't get why the guy was bandaged on his head and hands. Sorry, none of it made any sense to me. Maybe I'm just not connecting.
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Well, it's a kind of contrast project, experimental. It's a way to show you where that music in shopping malls is coming from, who's behind that sound. And when it's shown to you, you may tell yourself what you're seeing or happening afterwards. The audio-EQ in the last shot before the credits should say enough.
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I guess I still need a better explanation. I understand that you're trying to show me where the music we hear in the mall comes from. What I don't understand is why the original techno composition becomes the mall music on it's way from the source to the speakers. Are you saying the music is transformed because society can't handle the original music? I'm lost I guess.

I also still don't get why the guy making the music is wearing bloody bandages.

If I'm really far from understanding, that's okay, you don't have to try to explain it to me. I'm just trying to see where you're coming from. d:-)
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:53 PM   #5
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

basically it works for me ...
works very well up to the 1st shot of speaker ..
then i'm not so sure about the next section ??
but once it goes back to the speaker again it works for me till the end ..

not sure what the middle sections needs ??? or ??
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #6
Major Player

Travis, the person behind the music is twisting the knobs, this makes the music change to techno. I think he likes this music, you'll see him reacting on it. Cutting back to the shopping centre, you'll hear the beats inside the mall pumping through the room. Perhaps the dj is making a joke with the shopping audience, by mixing in loud and heavy music.
Why that person is looking bizar, is a contrast issue. People wandering around a shopping mall reminds me of zombies (ever seen that Dawn of the Dead movie). So this guy is a real horror creature, locked inside a music room full of cd's and he has the only task playing music for the mall. He's as trapped as the people in the mall are, in a way.
Anyway, it's also up to your interpretation of the events you see.

Don, basically I wanted to have an opening, that introduces the speaker and the music. Then in the middle part you hear the music all around the mall. And in the final scene you go into the speaker to travel to the place where the music is coming from.
Old February 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #7
New Boot

Good job

I like the video, very nice work. Very nice composition, I love the footage of the mall, escalators, people walikng by, various parts of the interior. looks great.
Also I get the connection between a music inside the mall and the trapped DJ doing his job and playing the music that he hates... , it's ironic that he is playing a song with "i'm free" lyrics in it. It's weird stuff, and as an experiment it came out very nice!
Viktor Bludov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work