My debut short! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 14th, 2003, 01:14 PM   #31
Major Player

Adrian, first I would like to congratulate you on a wonderful piece of work as everyone else has. I just had a few personal questions that I was very curious of if you didn't mind...

Age?
Video/Film background? Like did you go to film schools or have you just been an avid hobyist for a while? Obviously you've got some real experience somewhere :D !

Seeing your ultra low budget film come off so beautifully gives me inspiration to see my film school dreams through and far beyond that.
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 07:09 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Hi Bryan,

no, I don't mind sharing a bit of background on myself, I'm actually still a student, to be graduating this July, I'm doing a degree in Graphic Design but to be honest, the work I'm doing is about as far apart from my course as possibly can be, which brings me into constant conflict with my tutors.

so with regards to video and DV, I guess I'm self taught, mainly from books and observing films and a lot from this site with all its knowledge as well. I was from a photography background, self taught as well, so the next 'logical' step was for my photos to 'move', so that's what I'm trying to do now. Others might have a different opinion on it but I find filmmaking A LOT harder than photography. Where previously, I had to have the elements in place for a split second in time, now I had to choreograph the whole sequence, think about camera movement, sound etc etc etc... so right now, I'm infinitely challenged by this whole filmmaking thing. I had a Sony PC100 handycam for about 2 years, never really did anything productive with it and only got my XL1S last June, and immediately shot 'Talking with Fishes'

nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it, cliche but true i think, so whatever your dreams of filmmaking or film school might be, go get it done!

hope it helps somewhat.

Adrian
Adrian Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2003, 12:59 PM   #33
RED Code Chef

Adrian,

That is very good news that you are going to have your first short
up on a Festival! That must be a tremendous exciting thing. How
did you get this to happen?

Also would love to see some screencaptures from the footage
you shot with the mini35!

Keep up the great work!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Hi Rob,

Well, for the festival thing, I'm currently just sending out as many submissions to as many festivals as I can, and it so happened that the people in Raindance saw something interesting in my film I guess...

anyway, the stills of my latest film-in-progress is on another thread...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...4235#post44235

Cheers,

Adrian
Old February 25th, 2003, 06:27 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Adrian,

You should be very proud of your effort. Very nice work. I hope at some point you would be able to write an article for us about your experience.

Keep up the good work.

Bill
Bill Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 03:13 AM   #36
Regular Crew

hi Adrian,

Congrats on your short film. Are you based in Singapore? cause I am a Singaporean. I am also very keen to get my short film done soon. Maybe we can meet up sometime to share our vision?

cheers
Wan Shu
Ong Wan Shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 03:37 AM   #37
Regular Crew

oh, i got a question. aare all music in your short film self made? or did you use the music of somewhere esle?

cheers
Ong Wan Shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 03:57 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Wan Shu:

I'm from Singapore but I'm London based at the moment, I wrote 'Fishes' in London, shot it in Singapore and did all the post production back in London. The music was composed by my friend and musician Max Garfinkel. You have to have original music (or own the rights to any other music) if you wish to send it off to festivals.
Old November 16th, 2003, 10:24 PM   #39

spin around shot

Awesome work! Couldn't convince myself it was DV at times. With the tripod dolly shot you did at the mall aquarium (360degree spin), how did you get that juttering effect? Is it an effect in FCP?

Peter
Old November 17th, 2003, 02:03 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Hi there Peter,

thanks for the kind comments, the juddering effects was just a result of speeding up the footage actually, no fancy tricks involved.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 12:54 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Hey...

I just saw your film and I liked it a lot...though you are going to need some better music to make it work great...
But besides that I really liked it...the cinematography in particular...

keep up the good work...
Christian Hede Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 05:51 PM   #42
Regular Crew

bravo

Excellent work Adrian. The film was a joy to watch and I was truly moved by the emotions you captured and conveyed with your images. You showed us the story more than you told us the story and that is the place we all aspire to be. I strongly agree with your vision and the responsibilty that filmmakers have. Thank you for sharing a beautiful piece of work with us.

Cheers!

K. Mikel Low
Mikel Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 05:41 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Is there a working link to view this film? The original link is no longer active.
David Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 05:53 PM   #44
Regular Crew

again, thanks all for the kind comments... just tested the link and its working... it was probably my crappy ISP web host that was acting up.

Adrian
Old November 26th, 2003, 12:37 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Adrain,

I loved it. I look forward to seeing your next film. Keep us posted.
David Kelvin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work