New DVX Nike Commercial at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 11th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Tourist

New DVX Nike Commercial

Hey everyone!

I got some really great feedback here on my last project, so I thought I'd post my latest. Here's a nike spec we shot last month.

Let me know what you guys think!

http://www.semisweetfilms.com/nike

Thanks
-Jesse
Jesse Grce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

it was very well-down, i can tell this is a project where the editing makes or breaks it.

the only part i thought took away a bit was the overlays during the really fast high beat part towards the end.

I wouldn't have used the overlays at all, just fast cuts, as they worked really well.

all in all - extremely professional, high budget feel, and this makes up for the anything unoriginal about the commercial.

also loved the part where clones of the guy are climbing up the stadium steps
Jay Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:46 AM   #3
Inner Circle

First of all, yea for Garage Band loops!

Second, I loved the coloring in the spot. How much color-enhancement did you do in post, and what software did you use?

As a spot, the pacing and shots were all great. I didn't mind the layering, especially since you added it at the end. To me, it fit with the story that was playing in the subject's head.

I'm not sure I liked the music loop that came in near the end, but it didn't bother me noticably.

Overall . . . GREAT!
Old March 12th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Sweet! Love the color, the rapid cuts and the heart thumping action. Good Job. Swoosh Baby!
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 09:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Nicely done, I thought the overlays maybe could go too... maybe instead you could layer a 70s looking PIP effect or something funky (think Charlies Angels titles but keeping with all the fast cuts in all 3 windows...)?

Howed you shoot, composite and color everything?
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #6
Major Player

what adapter did you use?
Old March 29th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #7
Tourist

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Jay: thanks for the compliments! yeah, I tried just cutting faster towards the end, but I really wanted to seperate that part of the piece from the rest of it and cutting faster just didn't do it for me.

Travis: yeah, garageband rocks! as for color correction, we used final cut pro. mostly three-way color corrector and brightness/contrast filters.

Glenn: thanks!

Jeremy: We shot with a really high shutter speed (1/1000th) on 24PA, and we used FCP 4.5 for all the compositing and color correcting.

Andrew: We didn't use any adapters. Just the DVX with a UV filter. =)

Thanks again for your comments and criticism. It's all very helpful...keep it coming!
Jesse Grce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #8
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

when are you sending it to NIKE ??
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #9
Regular Crew

nice =P good stuff
Dean Digamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #10
Major Player

I liked it! Nice pace to the editing. Perhaps the only thing I might suggest is a little more product related activity, like soccer, football etc, but that's just my opinion, as marketing is more about image and lifestyle than functionality.
What I found refreshing with this work was:
-it was short and sweet.
-it has clear direction and intent
-it was good, WORTH watching
-there wasn't two minutes of "a film by... edited by... shot by... produced in conjuncion with blah blah films and blah blah productions..." credit roll which seems to plague some of the other works posted.
-the music was cool, and wasn't ripped off (there are way too many videomakers out there using music without permission). Garage Band is golden. Also, while the music really worked, it didn't carry the piece. What I mean, is that it was a good video and cool to watch without the music, the music just made it that much better (again, rather than some so so footage that uses a really great sound track without permission).

This is the kind of stuff I like checking out on this site, as it sets a high standard for production value.

The only caution I would have in submitting it to Nike is the use of the logo at the end. I don't know what their policy is, some companies are more than happy to let you use their logo, and some will just be adamant that their logo is not used for anything without their explicit permission. You don't want to offend a potential client, so maybe check into it first. I did some spec work for "Race Face" and got permission to use their logo prior to doing the work, but they are a smaller company.

I know Limbo Films has done work for Nike. They are based here in Portland. I actually live about a 10 minute drive from Nike headquarters, its like the Willy Wonka Factory!
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work