WANNA SWEAT - 30 second ad at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 12th, 2006, 01:38 AM   #1
Inner Circle

WANNA SWEAT - 30 second ad

Hey everyone, I've got an ad I'd like to get feedback on. Here is the link to the downloads page:

http://www.dreambigproductions.com/c.../downloads.htm

There is a Windows Media and a Quicktime version. The Windows Media file is larger, but it looks and sounds better. The color in the Quicktime version doesn't appeal to me.

Useful background for consideration is that this was a low budget ($500) ad for a men-only workout gym. The target market is males 35-60, and the client specifically requested something that was calmly paced.

Please leave any type of feedback you want, just leave some. Thanks!
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #2
Major Player

There is something that gives a very negative impression. The shot with all the guys in a small room that looks like a basement is kinda creepy. The name and logo "Sweat" does not help much either. I would not join and I am your target demo. I did not like the processed voice effect either. Exercise needs to look appealing to sell it. I realy don't want to sound too critical and I am not considering your 500 dollar budget. Just my opinion that you asked for. Maybe others will like it.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Glenn,

Thanks for the feedback. I can't do anything about the name and logo, obviously, but it's never bothered me.

I didn't realize the wide-shots might give a negative impression. It IS a small gym (which is apparently a draw for the current clientelle). I primarily wanted to show that it was a small, uncrowded circuit gym and give the impression (via slow dissolves) that it was a relaxed place. I'll be interested to see if others get the same impression. I want the truth, that's for sure.

I'm curious about the "processed voice effect". It's straight from the voice talent, no effects applied. Which version of the ad did you watch?

Thanks again for the response!
Old March 12th, 2006, 02:24 AM   #4
Major Player

The small QT file sounded like it was pitch-shifted down and had reverb. Must be data compression. The WM file sounds good. Is that guy's voice really that low? Wow.

Maybe add close-up shots with models and nice lighting. I am already over budget, huh?
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 02:34 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I had lighting on hand, but the front of the gym is all windows, which made things difficult at times. The 'actors' were all members that chipped in their time to help out. One reason you only see the single close-up.

So I needed more light on people?
Old March 12th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I think it's decent. The music and voice over was fine by me and I'm not in the target audience.

I'd add a little diffusion in post to give it an even more relaxed, dreamy, but not too dreamy look.

I would change the font and color of the text that displayed the health benefits to something more professional looking....maybe scroll it across the screen, left to right.

Yeah, I'm not sure about the wide, interior shot, like Glenn mentioned. How about a shot of the building outside as your establishing shot? I think that would give it a more welcoming look and possibly attract people who visit. Then keep your closeups.

Would you have time to add voice over about the available exercise equipment?

Would these recommendations be over budget?

What was the camera?
Xavier Etown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Xavier,

Thanks for the reply. I work in Final Cut Pro. How would I go about adding "diffusion"?

Also, what font color would you recommend? I tried, white, black, blue, orange and even green, and yellow was the most legible of all of them. The font is Century Gothic, any recommendations on a "more professional" video font?

I tried the text a few ways, and ended up going with the stacking static text because the video switches scenes fairly quickly during that part and it was hard to keep up with the text unless it stayed onscreen. I think the motion of scrolling text combined with the switching video scenes might be too hard to follow, especially since the client wants something calmly paced.

I couldn't shoot the outside of the building because it was cold and snowy, not the best visual for a spot that could be used any time of the year. d:-)

Also, no time to talk about the equipment available; thus the various shots of different equipment to try and get that across. I already had to cut the VO of the phone number at the end (which isn't a big loss in my opinion - who remembers phone numbers anyways?).

Lastly, I shot with a Canon GL2, full manual settings.
Old March 12th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Travis,

Sorry, I work in PC, so I don't know about adding diffusion in FCP. Perhaps check your manual or search the forums/Internet.

The font/color part is hard to answer because I'm not an artist. I like it when I see it and it's only my subjective opinion. But do a search of free, downloadable fonts and see what looks good...or even watch what other spots are using and try to find it.

You're right that the scrolling text can being hard to follow if the background is fast motion. How about having it quickly fade in and out with the narrator's voice? Just a thought to throw out there. There's many possibilities

If you can't shoot the building, are there any pictures of it taken on a nice day? Use that in your video. That can be equally effective as an establishing shot.

Lastly, maybe some FCP users could offer more advice.

Hope this helps.
Xavier Etown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Xavier,

I'll look into the font thing. Thanks for the input there.

I did try to fade the text in and out with the narrator. That was the first technique I tried. It came and went too fast, however. I couldn't read the text AND take in the visual image fast enough. It ended up being more of a distraction than anything.

I don't have access to ANY pictures of the building, good or otherwise. I might consider going back and shooting an exterior this week if the weather improves. I'm on a pretty tight dealine with this spot, though. I hate it when this stuff is low budget and last minute. d:-)

Thanks for the replies! Anyone else have feedback for me?
Old March 13th, 2006, 03:40 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Okay, I've updated the ad with a new font. I actually just did the text in photoshop so I could get a nice thick background outline around it. Shooting the exterior is definitely out (it's snowed about 1-2 inches in just the past hour).

I removed the Quicktime file and uploaded a new WMV file. You can use the same link at the top of the thread to get the new version of the ad.

I'd love to hear any other feedback anyone might have.
Old March 13th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #11
Major Player

I really feel like it needed the light pumped up in there a lot. It did seem dark. If unable to do that, are you able to pull up the levels and then tint everything more towards a blue? I think that will help give it more of a sterile look and not looks so dark and basement looking?
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I can put a little more light into it in post and see if that helps. I hadn't thought of going towards a blue tint. I was trying for a warmer feel, but maybe I'll try that out too and see how it looks. Thanks for the input!

Anyone else?
Old March 13th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Okay, the final version is online now. You can use the link listed in the original post. I brightened up all the video and got it all more closely color corrected. If anyone has any final thoughts, please let me know. Thanks!
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #14
Major Player

thats a big improvement! I'd probably still take it up more but thats definately a big improvement
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #15
Inner Circle

You mean brighter? It seemed that if I went much brighter, it started looking washed out.

I'm wondering if part of my troubles stems from the fact that I had a ton of daylight coming in from a wall of front windows, but my lighting kit is not the same color temperature. So, I end up with faces that have daylight on one side and my lighting on the other. It complicates the color correction I think. Anyone have any experience with situations like this, where two different temperatures of lighting are involved? How do you handle it?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work