3min short film from Turkey. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:05 AM   #1
New Boot

3min short film from Turkey.

1 day shooting and editing exercise with my friends in Ankara Turkey.

I used Canon XL1s,
a home made jimmy jib,
a steadicam flyer,
and a home made device to fix the camera to the body of the car...

Hope you find it interesting.
Further questions are welcome.

film in you tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML5LCPpU5j8
film in my server to download:
http://kkymn.kusto.com/zips/tatilanlayisimov.zip
screen shots:
http://kkymn.kusto.com/ss/tatil2/page_01.htm
behind the scenes:
http://kkymn.kusto.com/ss/tatil/page_01.htm
Kadir Koymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Trustee

Any film requires a lot of work, so congratulations on getting it done! See mine here. You are going to make people think all Turks drink and drive, judging by their enthusiasm :)

I liked the jib tracking shot on his way back to the car.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:55 PM   #3
Major Player

That was great! Very nice work!
Old September 22nd, 2006, 03:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Really good work... some ending! A great job with the film-look color grading, too.

Could you share some details on the home made steadicam? Nice and smooth.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 05:11 PM   #5
Major Player

I liked it. But it was a very strange film.

The main question is why did she take so much offence to her husband/boyfriend taking a pi#s?.

Andy.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 07:19 AM   #6
Major Player

I loved it. music was infectious. very funny.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 11:53 AM   #7
New Boot

Andy,
I can say that to pee on the roadside is accepted as rude (in Turkey). At least thats what the female character thinks in the film. There is not any logic in the film anyway, we didnt even had a scenario till that morning we shot it...

Justin,
I wrote a thesis on steadicam while I was in university. I did try several methods of making my own steadicam and at last I faced the fact that it can not be "properly" done. So I bought one. I used an original Steadicam flyer. Thats one of the first times I used it and I am still practising it. (it had been only 10 days since I bought the steadicam)
Detailed images of my steadicam:
http://kkymn.kusto.com/ss/steadicam/page_01.htm

Thanks for all of your critics. I would post my real proper projects here but unfortunately they are all in Turkish. For anyone interested please visit my website:

www.kkymn.com

Regards,

Kadir
Kadir Koymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 09:17 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadir Koymen
Andy,
I can say that to pee on the roadside is accepted as rude (in Turkey).
Ah I see, I've been to turkey once on holiday about two miles outside of Alanya and i'm now very glad that I did not pee on the side of the road!.

I too tried to build a steadicam and descovered that unless you are an engineer with laiths and stuff buying one is the only option.

Andy.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 09:39 PM   #9
Wrangler

Hilarious. Great job on keeping the focus on the relationship between the two characters. So easy to lose that - I think it really makes this short.

I wish you had continued through the end. Maybe added a shot after they both got hit by the trucks, where they can both see each other (somehow) and are still reacting to each other, then end it.

I think the relationship between the characters and their reactions to each other made it memorable.
Old September 25th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #10
Major Player

I liked it. I guess my comments would be that it could have been just a tad shorter, but the pacing was still pretty good. It really sucked me in at the start... they're so happy and nutty I really wanted to watch to see what was going to happen. Good production work; nice camera angles, effective use of the jib and steadi-cam. Using the jib where she leaves him behind really worked. I could tell there were spots where the steadi-cam started to tilt a bit off axis, but it seemed you knew to cut away from those shots, and over-all the steadi-cam work was really good for someone just new to it.
If I was a picky "it has to be my way" director, I would have had them getting hit one instantly after the other, bam!-ah!-bam! along with some post-production effects to make it an absolute gore-fest, but that's just me :)
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadir Koymen
Justin,
I wrote a thesis on steadicam while I was in university. I did try several methods of making my own steadicam and at last I faced the fact that it can not be "properly" done. So I bought one. I used an original Steadicam flyer. Thats one of the first times I used it and I am still practising it. (it had been only 10 days since I bought the steadicam)
Detailed images of my steadicam:
http://kkymn.kusto.com/ss/steadicam/page_01.htm
Kadir
Ok, that explains it. Maybe in a year or so I could afford one. Again, good job!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #12
New Boot

shooting in day light

http://kkymn.kusto.com/ss/tatil2/tatil15.jpg

you know the sun's rays were shining bright from the man's shirt. This creates a strong lighting contrast on your subject, especially because the brightest area in the frame is the light reflecting off his shrit and the darkest area is the top of his head. This bring me to another point, in that everyone has a unique face, and the unique face is the easiest way for humans to recognize each other, and comminucate with each other through facial expressions; you can tell the man is happy, it's a universal expression. So when shooting in day light, try using reflectors to bring out faces, and to control the contrasy exterrior lighting, you can use butterflies to reduce light, or if you want to diffuse light as well as reduce it, you can use a silk. There are many different options and worth the time to research and test out.
Michael Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 05:13 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought this short was great. The framing was well done and the footwork on camera was smooth. Where was this shot, outside of Ankara?
Dave Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 02:09 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I could not stop laughing!!!!

Great work man and I hope you have a sequel coming up!!!
Alex Amira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 02:29 PM   #15
Tourist

I really like it a lot. The jib and car shots are very smooth, nice job there. The story is funky and nice.

Only three things I'd comment on:

1. There are some "line" issues. When the guy is peeing on the side you cut from a shot directly at him to one 180 degrees rotated directly at his back. This is very confusing to the eye. If you have the camera a hair to one side it creates angle that help a lot.

2. The truck-hitting effects could use a little more. What it really takes to sell that is more sound. Realistic sound never plays, it has to be over the top. On the shot of the woman you might want to photoshop her in to a frame or so while the truck is leaving also.

3. It could probably be 20-30 seconds shorter and still tell the same story.

Great job, and keep posting them.

Edit - oops, this is not Caleb Stewart, but Barry Gribble. Caleb was logged on to this machine and I didn't realise it.
Caleb Stewart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work