DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   DV Challenge for Honour and Glory #1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/84278-dv-challenge-honour-glory-1-a.html)

Alex T. Hurter January 18th, 2007 11:45 PM

DV Challenge for Honour and Glory #1

Come one, come all.

Welcome to the first installment of the DV Challenge for Honour and Glory!

The rules are simple.
-You have <b>10 days</b> from the moment Jeff posts the theme to create and upload a film and post the link in this thread.
-Music must either have the artist's express permission or be original.
-Films will be 3 minutes long excluding closing credits.
-HAVE FUN!

So now we wait for Jeff.

Jeff Cottrone January 19th, 2007 12:04 AM

Theme

I traveled through the nights on horseback, my friends, with only a torch, and a sword at my side. The journey took me through a dark abyss I care not to speak of. But I emerged triumphant, a messenger from the King, bearing a gift that you await with great patience and fierce anticipation. As I dismount my traveling companion, step before you, and unravel the scroll…

(((trumpets blare)))

(((clearing my throat)))

Your theme is…

FACING THE TRUTH

Or

NOT FACING THE TRUTH

The King included a few reminders:

1. Brainstorm thoroughly. Do not settle for initial impressions. Dig deep.
2. Despite the apparent seriousness, do not ignore the comic possibilities.
3. Loose interpretations are fine. Anything to do with "THE TRUTH".
4. By all means, HAVE FUN!

GO!

Bob Thieda January 19th, 2007 06:09 AM

Egads!! Only a week....and this weekend is booked, ouch!
Thus the challenge doubles, as I was hoping to be able to work in daylight...LOL...

Excellent theme Jeff....I like it! Don't know what to do with it yet, but I like it!

Bob T.

Mike Horrigan January 19th, 2007 08:05 AM

I thought it was going to be 10 days? More like the DV Challenge....
Can we get 10 days? PLEASE!

You even said 10 days in the original thread... page 1.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex T. Hurter
Agreed 10 people minimum. The first challenge will be a 10 day time frame.

Pretty please...

Also, what is the latest that someone can sign up for the challenge?

Thanks,

Mike

Alex T. Hurter January 19th, 2007 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan
I thought it was going to be 10 days? More like the DV Challenge....
Can we get 10 days? PLEASE!

You even said 10 days in the original thread... page 1.

Pretty please...

Also, what is the latest that someone can sign up for the challenge?

Thanks,

Mike

that's what i get for posting late at night haha. i'll fix that now.

Mike Horrigan January 19th, 2007 11:21 AM

AWESOME! Thanks, Alex.

That should help us all out a bit more...

I've already got an idea for mine, just not sure if I can get the manpower to pull it off.

*Fingers crossed*

Bob Thieda January 19th, 2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

that's what i get for posting late at night haha. i'll fix that now.

Cool! Thanks, that extra weekend will make a huge difference....

Bob T.

Bruce Foreman January 21st, 2007 02:57 AM

Quote:

AWESOME! Thanks, Alex.

That should help us all out a bit more...

I've already got an idea for mine, just not sure if I can get the manpower to pull it off.

*Fingers crossed*

I don't think I'll ever have any manpower...Cept me.

I've got a glimmering of an idea I might be able to pull off with just me, meself, and I, so if weather will co-operate a bit...

Gunleik Groven January 22nd, 2007 03:13 PM

Hi.

I'm out of camera for some days.

I'll do my best, though -;)

Gunleik

Mike Horrigan January 23rd, 2007 12:46 PM

I'm HOPING to get this shot on Thursday. It all hinges on getting a few people to act in it. I did the last challenge by myself but I can't do that for the idea that I have for this one.

So.. when is this officially due? Sunday night? Monday morning?

Anyone else with any updates on how things are coming along?

Mike

Bob Thieda January 24th, 2007 02:42 PM

Quote:

I'm HOPING to get this shot on Thursday. It all hinges on getting a few people to act in it. I did the last challenge by myself but I can't do that for the idea that I have for this one.

So.. when is this officially due? Sunday night? Monday morning?

Good question!

Quote:

Anyone else with any updates on how things are coming along?

Mike
I actually took tomorrow, (Thursday), off work to try and shoot...
I've got an idea, a rough script and a location....still trying to figure out some props I need and lighting is an issue...

But...I haven't given up yet!! I'm working Friday and Saturday, but if I get it shot tomorrow, I'll edit on Sunday.

Thank God there is no football this weekend.

Bob T.

Mike Horrigan January 24th, 2007 03:17 PM

I'll be filming something tomorrow. I have a location, my Sister's trusty old camcorder, and a couple of friends who are going to try their hand at acting.

Lighting.... well... I'll have to make use out of what is available.

Good luck guys! Hope to see you at the finish...

Mikko Lopponen January 25th, 2007 05:59 AM

Looks very nice. Congrats!

Bob Thieda January 25th, 2007 03:45 PM

Arrrggggg.....was already behind because my Dad went into intensive care this week...but I thought I'd make it.

Went to the location I wanted to use and NO-GO, just won't work....dang...
Been working my noodle over a new location...nothin' yet.

Got a good story...equipment...props...

Working tomorrow and Saturday....Sunday dash? Maybe...

Bob T.

Mike Horrigan January 25th, 2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Thieda
Arrrggggg.....was already behind because my Dad went into intensive care this week...but I thought I'd make it.

Went to the location I wanted to use and NO-GO, just won't work....dang...
Been working my noodle over a new location...nothin' yet.

Got a good story...equipment...props...

Working tomorrow and Saturday....Sunday dash? Maybe...

Bob T.

That's terrible news about your Father. I hope he's okay...

Mike

Mike Horrigan January 25th, 2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikko Lopponen
Looks very nice. Congrats!

I'm sorry... what looks very nice?

Maybe I missed something...?

BTW, I'm filming in a few hours.
Wish me luck guys!

Mike

Bob Thieda January 25th, 2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry... what looks very nice?

Maybe I missed something...?

Ha...I must have missed it too...

Quote:

BTW, I'm filming in a few hours.
Wish me luck guys!
Good luck...

And thanks for the concern about my Dad..
Leukemia...chemo complication. Not good, but not much we can do.
I want to get this done, because I think he will enjoy it.

Bob T.

Mike Horrigan January 25th, 2007 04:27 PM

I lost my father to cancer years ago. It can be very tough to go through...
I hope he pulls through.

My short for this challenge actually touches on this sort of thing...
Strange but true.

Best of luck to your Dad!

Mike

Mike Horrigan January 25th, 2007 10:42 PM

Just finished filming...
We had a ton of fun! I hope I can edit it together well enough to do it justice.

Definitely a dark comedy of sorts...

:)

How's everybody else doing?

Bruce Foreman January 26th, 2007 02:21 AM

Quote:

How's everybody else doing?

Finished editing about an hour ago. Have to find a decent hosting site tomorrow; the one I've been using often has horribly slow file transfer.

Bruce Foreman

Mike Horrigan January 26th, 2007 07:22 AM

Bruce, I might be able to help you with that if you want.

Chris Barcellos January 26th, 2007 09:40 AM

So guys, what is deadline again ?? I haven't had a chance to start this yet.....

Mike Horrigan January 26th, 2007 08:30 PM

I believe as long as they are posted by first thing Monday morning... that should be fine.

No afternoon/evening postings...

Does that sound good to everyone?

Mike

Bruce Foreman January 27th, 2007 02:57 PM

Am I the FIRST?

Quote:

The rules are simple.

-You have <b>10 days</b> from the moment Jeff posts the theme to create and upload a film and post the link in this thread.

Here's links to the MPEG4 and WMV versions of my entry.

direct link to "Reality Check" wmv version
http://files.filefront.com/Reality_C.../fileinfo.html

direct link to "Reality Check" MPEG4 version
http://files.filefront.com/Reality_C.../fileinfo.html

If anyone needs it in .MOV file format let me know and I'll make that available.

The two versions above are both under 13MB, the .MOV version is 23MB. The MPEG4 file should be "cross platform" (QuickTime version 7 plays it)

Mike Horrigan January 27th, 2007 03:46 PM

Nice work Bruce! I won't give anything away.... ;)
I'll give you a better review after everyone has posted. I don't want to ruin your clip for someone who hasn't seen it yet.

I'll be posting mine on Sunday...

I hope the 3 minute time limit is slightly flexible like the regular DV Challenge, I've gone a bit over so please tell me now if that is a big no-no.

If so, I'll hack a bit more off...
Hopefully I won't have to. ;)

Mike

Chris Barcellos January 28th, 2007 01:12 PM

Truth Is In a mirror

Well, I managed to do it. Shot and edited everything last night in a four hour period. Had trouble uploading this morning, but thing I have it now. Go to my link page at:

http://www.makeyourfilm.net/Truth%20...%20Mirror.html

I shot everything with my VX2000, set at 16:9 wide. Edited in Premiere Pro 2.0.

Film runs a bit over 3 minutes, but I didn't feel I could cut it much more.

I rendered everything to a final DV file, in 16:9 format.

From there, I would normally go to Vegas and render to my Windows Media and Quicktime preset. For some reason, though, Vegas did not recognize the 16:9 setting. Ended up rendering the Windows Media and Quicktime in Premiere. I still couldn't get exactly the right aspect ratio in the Quicktime file.

Any body have any idea here ? Maybe I should have asked Bruce above :)

Bruce Foreman January 28th, 2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
I rendered everything to a final DV file, in 16:9 format.

From there, I would normally go to Vegas and render to my Windows Media and Quicktime preset. For some reason, though, Vegas did not recognize the 16:9 setting. Ended up rendering the Windows Media and Quicktime in Premiere. I still couldn't get exactly the right aspect ratio in the Quicktime file.

Any body have any idea here ? Maybe I should have asked Bruce above :)

I may not be much help, using diffrent software. There may be something about the way Premiere Pro sets 16:9 that some other software won't recognize, or it may be that Vegas only recognizes it's own 16:9.

Sony is one of those companies that likes to try to confine their customers to using only their proprietary "stuff". You should probably try to stay within one editor as much as possible.

If you render to a straight AVI file, you can select the size parameters from a pulldown menu in QuickTime so you get the aspect ratio you want.

I rendered to an AVI file first in Pinnacle Studio 10.7 plus, loaded that into QuickTime then set Sorenson Video 3, frame rate CURRENT, key frames and data rate both AUTO, in the SIZE menu select one of the presets or use CUSTOM (For the UWOL we used 428x230 for 16:9), and preserve aspect with letterbox checked, added a bit of darkening and sharpening, all in the EXPORT mode.

After doing that in QuickTime I went back to Pinnacle and had it render out to a WMV file, followed by having it render out to an MPEG4 file; so I try to cover as many bases as possible from the original NLE.

I don't know if this helps you any, I just watched your entry in WMV format and everything was fine. And it is VERY WELL DONE. Like Mike Horrigan said on mine: I don't want to say any more at this time until others have had a chance to see it.

Mike Horrigan January 28th, 2007 04:23 PM

I'm in!

Here's the link...
http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/d..._For_Chuck.wmv
It's a 12.8 MB .wmv download. QT hates me!

EDIT: I almost forgot! Warning: There is some harsh language in mine...

I can work on an Mpeg if someone can give me some settings for a small file when using Adobe Premiere 1.5

I didn't have time for credits and I had to cut out a TON of footage. I'm definitely cutting a longer 5 to 6 minute clip after this.

I really hope you guys enjoy this dark comedy. We had a blast filming this one! My third short film in the can... :)

Shot with my Sister's old camcorder, lit with any available nearby lamp, and cut with Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5

Written/Directed/Cut & Lit by yours truly.
Doctor: Michael Gale
Patient: Matt Ordower
Phone voice's: Yours truly
Music: Edgen

Bob Thieda January 28th, 2007 05:23 PM

"I hang my head in shame as I approach those that have completed the quest...For I have not...."

Arrrgghhhh....between work, my Dad and the weather...I have run out of time.
My indoor location was no good and I planned on working outside today...but when I awoke...it was snowing and thus ended the plan.

I still think I have a good idea and it will be done...

I'm downloading the finished movies now...
Can't wait to see them...

Until next time,
Bob

Mike Horrigan January 28th, 2007 06:05 PM

Don't sweat it Bob! Concerning the health of your father... that is a good enough reason to bow out.

Hopefully you'll comment on our entries later.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike Horrigan January 28th, 2007 08:08 PM

What happened to everyone else?

Surely there will be more entries....

Chris Barcellos January 29th, 2007 01:44 AM

Not sure what happened to others, but your film cracked me up... very funny. It took a couple run throughs, though, to catch the phone conversations in full.... but got funnier as we went through it again. If you could get the phone sound better, it would be great.

Mike Horrigan January 29th, 2007 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Not sure what happened to others, but your film cracked me up... very funny. It took a couple run throughs, though, to catch the phone conversations in full.... but got funnier as we went through it again. If you could get the phone sound better, it would be great.

Thanks Chris! I actually made the phone voices and I didn't want them to be as clear as day, but maybe I could improve them a bit. I don't want them to be that difficult to hear. Was it really that difficult to understand them or is it more of a volume issue? Let me know...

Thanks for the nice comments! I have to say that I laughed out loud while editing this one myself. I was hoping that it wasn't just me... :)

As for everyone else.... what happened?

So... 3 entries... looks like I'm going to place this time. ;)
How are we handling the voting?

Alex, are you still around?

Chris Barcellos January 29th, 2007 03:27 PM

Bruce, Mike:

I think what may have happened is when this got moved over to "Show Your Work", enthusiasm waned.... because it wasn't DVC related anymore. Any way, it was a good excercise in deadlines.

Lets call it a over, and everyone gets a high five.

Mike Horrigan January 29th, 2007 03:34 PM

Chris, any chance that I can run something like this in a different section?

I definitely have the drive since I'm in the early/learning stages. :)

If we can get enough interest I would love to see if we can pull one off.
I'm also willing to devote some web space of my own if needed...

Let me know what you think...

Thanks,

Mike

Bruce Foreman January 29th, 2007 04:25 PM

I think this one probably came too close on the heels of the other two. We had the DVC7 in December, the UWOL challenge early 2 weeks in January and then this one in the latter part of January.

The time and other resources available to most of those who've been doing the regular DVC may be somewhat limited when you start looking at one or two a month.

I had fun with it, but I'm retired with no job or business to keep up with and even then the last couple may have come a bit close for me. Nothing need get in the way of doing something like this on a smaller scale than what was tried here, hoping for most of the gang to jump in.

Even something that just draws 3 or 4 or 5 would still be fun as long as we realized it was likely to stay small. And this "Show Your Work" is as good a place as any as long as it doesn't seem to draw energy away from the regular DVC that Dylan manages.

Bruce Foreman

Bob Thieda January 29th, 2007 05:06 PM

Well, well, well...I just finished watching all three...
You guys did great!!

I liked them all....
Mike, funny stuff....LOL
Chris, serious message without getting to heavy...nicely done...
Bruce, you really had me wondering where we were going...excellent...

Mike, I did understand the phone talk, but only because I read this first, turned it up and payed attention...
Maybe it was just a little to "telephony"? If that makes sense...

Hey! Don't be disappointed because there was only three completed...
Even though I didn't finish, this was my first video challenge of any kind and I learned a lot about my abilities....
Everything I've done up till now has been event driven. Never had to "create" a story before and I did, script, props, a plan.....
I will be entering the next challenge, whether its DVC8 or Honor and Glory 2 or whatever...

I really think if you do more of these, and space them as best as possible with the other challenges, you'll get more entries.

All good,
Bob T.

Mike Horrigan January 29th, 2007 05:11 PM

How about this... we could start a new contest that's very different from the regular DV Challenge.

We could wait until we get some real interest and also keep it in this forum.

Something like this...

The short must be between 10 and 15 minutes long. (Opening intro/Closing credits included) We could allow a month or two to finish the product considering the length.

Instead of a theme we could all vote/agree on a genre, or just have a free for all.

We could also have rules that include having a trailer finished by the mid-way point. No finished trailer and you're out. That would help fill in the gap and hold interest. We could also ask for some behind the scenes captures at some point as well.

What do you think?

I just want to keep filming! :)
Things like this help to motivate me...

Mike

Chris Barcellos January 29th, 2007 05:52 PM

I was kicking around an idea about a film by committee. Say have five units shooting on location five different locations, then have a 6th shoot with every one at one location, say St. Louis.....

Goes something like this: Five different people wake up in five different North american locales, all with a sudden urge to go to St. Louis. The urge is eminating from the St. Louis Arch. The five film units shoot the trials and tribulations each individually has to go throught to get there. Then resolution to everything happens after all arrive in St. Louis.
(by the way, I've never been east of Wyoming, so I don't know what I might be getting myself into...)

Chris Barcellos January 29th, 2007 05:55 PM

We'd have to agree on a fairly common shooting style. 16:9 wide. Be nice if all could do HDV.

Script would be a committee thing too. Maybe handled through a yahoo private group, where script ideas are exchanged over several weeks or months till a script was completed.