Ducks - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 16th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall
Hi Alex,

Remember, good drama comes from conflict. For your "Ducks" video why not try and shoot an end sequence that gives the film a hint of dramatic entertainment - a plate with a beautifully cooked 'duck confit' should do the trick.

I will try that...I did not even think about introducing something like that in...but that would make it interested....I have to start thinking more outside the box and realize that editing is about creativity and combining different elements to create the big picture....

thanks.
Alex Amira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Amira
Thanks Mike I will definetley try this.
I think my problem was also the the fact that as far as editing goes I knew one thing "Cut in motion" so I translated this as meaning all your shots have to be in motion. I did not realize that you have to also mix motion with steady shots to make something interesting.

I basically started shooting with my shoulder mount and I would get static shots and pans. After a while I wanted more so I just went with the steady cam and motion on everyting. What I missed was what you are mentioning which is balance of static and motion (and having more static shots than moving if I understand this correctly). I think you made a good point and I will keep this in my mind on the next shoot.

One questions I had on Raising The Bar 2:

On the shot where on guy is lying down and using the dumbells and he can't get the last rep in (his spotter helps him) you have a shot from above. I really liked that shot and was wondering how it was done. Was a ladder used or a crane, WO lens?

Thannks.
"Cut in motion" is a good rule but you can't be a slave to the rules. Ultimately it all about what looks good and what communicates best.

My preference would be for more static shots than moving but that's just me. It certainly could work the other way around. Go with your strengths. If you become a master of the steadycam shot then by all means try to find a way to make it work so that it becomes your signature style.

That overhead shot was done by me jumping up on a flat bench and raising the camera up over my head as high as I could with the viewscreen out to the side and trying to hold it for as long as my shoulders would allow. A ladder would have been a better idea, but I shoot things in a documentary style so there are no set-ups. These guys were just doing what they would normally do and I was trying to capture it as best I could on the fly. I try to get as many angles as I can and then sort it all out in post.
Michael Pulcinella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work