Dodge Srt-4 Promo/Commerical - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old April 30th, 2003, 08:25 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Geez Zac, what's your beef, guy? Bad hair day, or what? Give the guy a break!
Old April 30th, 2003, 08:31 AM   #17
Major Player

No beef what so ever.

As i said, i liked the piece and found it very enjoyable. Again this was not an attack at him or his work, i was posting a reply to his post about how 20k is nothing.

I was only being honest, i am sorry if i offended anybody, but he posted the piece in here for comments, and i chimed in with mine.

Anyways,

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:28 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I do aggree with a lot of you guys.... i did not like the living room scene...the editor and client wanted it that way. I did not have much of a say in how those things turned out. I also aggree about the pacing I thought it was a bit slow. My editor and I are cutting together a Directors cut that will be soon on our website.

About the money like I said it was a strech and we had about 4 days to shoot it. which may seem a lot but if you ever try to mount a camera on a car during an action scene you know that it takes a long time (about 45 min per set up). We always had 2 cameras going and with the car mounts, lights....etc, it was scary watching about $10,000 dollars being driven around on the hood of a car. Any way I enjoy all your posts....

Marc
Marc Higa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #19
Capt. Quirk

I can sympothize with you. I know how the clients "Artistic vision" can often mess up a decent project. But, when they are footing the bill... God I hate selling out sometimes!
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 05:03 PM   #20
Major Player

Right guys, I'm probably being really stupid, but I can't for the life of me find a link to a video on the dodge site posted earlier, help me out here....

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 05:16 PM   #21
High School Student

Hmm, it seems they updated the page...and it's not there anymore...

About doing it for $20K...I personally think thats a lot of cash for that, it seems somewhere around $1k or so budget would be more believable.....and I agree with Zac...
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 11:13 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I have to agree with you guys about the street racing issue. Maybe it was different a couple of decades ago, when there were less cars and drivers on the roads, but it's always been rather dangerous in my generation (I'm 22).

Now the video itself-- different story and different mindset in watching it. I'd really love to see that!

I can't find it on Dodge's SRT-4 website. Does anyone know where it has gone?

Craig Weinstein
Craig Weinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 11:42 PM   #23
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Marc,

Don't take my comment about the living room scene to mean I didn't admire your work overall. That's not the case. What type of car mounts did you use? And how big was your crew?

As for the subject matter...well...turn on the TV and click around and you're going to see a whole lot worse. For some reason, though..."big" productions seem to get away with it. "Fast and Furious" for example.

All this censorship that's going on, particularly in North America now...both by law and by strong vocal minority influence...is getting a bit scary if you ask me. I've been watching people smoke, drink alcohol, and kill people on the tube my whole life...and I don't smoke, I'm not an alcoholic, and I've never killed anyone. Not that I can recall anyway.

I realize you have to be more careful when teenagers are the main characters since teens are more impressionable than adults...but doesn't that mean that things such as extreme sports videos pose as great a threat? Some of the stunts kids pull off on those videos on bikes and skateboards can crack a head wide open or break a back...so where do we draw the line?

Let's be careful about jumping on people's choices of subject matter...because (1) true freedom requires you to allow someone else do something you oppose (as long as it's not illegal)... (2) because this is an international forum with members from other cultures that don't always think the same as the North American members... and (3) it's entertainment.

Otherwise, even Disney should be hauled in under the lights for its depiction of violence in some of the earlier works.
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:18 AM   #24
Wrangler

John, I agree with you for the most part, but there's a big difference between what you say, and using crime to advertise your product. I don't think street racing is taken as seriously in many places as it is Vancouver. It's almost an epidemic here. There has to be at least a couple major street racing fatalities a month here, usualy killing a carload or two of kids, and some innocent pedestrians.

It's actually gotten scary enough out here that *I* have stopped street racing. As a competant driver, I used to always be up for a good street race, until the last two years (coincidental to the release of Fast and the Furious?), when people have been getting killed on a weekly basis here. I believe there were three in the last two weeks, the worst being an accident involving 4 16 year olds in a Mustang and one 25 year old in a Firebird. All were killed except 1 I think.

Anyway, I'm off topic.
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:49 AM   #25
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Dylan,

No problem...I know where you're coming from. I had an unusually high percentage of high school friends die in car accidents...so I can relate (out of the five in "my closeknit group" in high school, I was the only one still living by age 24).

But consider "American Grafitti"...same subject matter...yet it's considered a classic.

Sometimes things hit a bit too close to home...but you have to ask if it was REALLY the influence of media that caused what happened to happen. You might want to blame a commercial for the death of a friend who went out drag racing after seeing it...but then isn't that the same friend who was jumping off the roof using a sheet as a parachute at age seven, and the one who was shooting bottle rockets from his hand at friends at close range at age 12...etc, etc?

I grew up back when there wasn't so much media...and believe me...we still had enough imagination to come up with crazy stunts without seeing them first on TV or the movies. Consequently, we couldn't blame it on media...only on being a kid. So even if all media depicting drag racing was outlawed, if you put a teenager behind the wheel of a sports car...what do you think would happen?
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:22 AM   #26
Wrangler

Personally, I don't think teenagers should get sports cars. I worked my ass off and bought an old Mustang when I was 18, and then an old Trans-Am when I was 19. Fortunately, my mother was a driving instrutor and leaned me good about not getting myseld killed.

Regarding media influence, of course it's going to happen one way or the other. I just object to companies using illegal activities to market their product. "Hi, buy our stuff and you can be a criminal too, because breaking the law and killing innocent people is cool!"
Old May 1st, 2003, 02:06 PM   #27
Major Player

Did anyone save the commercial? I would love to take a peek at it!

/Andy
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:29 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Uhg, I went to the link, but what do you select to see the video. I checked out the flash stuff, no racing video there. sorry, feeling stupid right abot now.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 07:42 PM   #29
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by John Steele : Right guys, I'm probably being really stupid, but I can't for the life of me find a link to a video on the dodge site posted earlier, help me out here....

John. -->>>

Wow, your right- I saw it the other day and now it's gone. 1 of 2 things: either this post help cause their bandwith to get eaten up ooooor others were having the same negative reactions that some members had here. Ya know...the way it depicted somthing illegal to promote their product. I say what the heck- why not...everyone knows why they made the car lol

I saved it John, if you want I can send it to you if your mail server can handle the file size. What file size what it anyway- the bitrate looked extremely low on the clip so it shouldn't have been that bad.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:04 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Soon I will have a directors cut on my website. Probably in the next week....

Marc
Marc Higa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work